1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Do Android develops have an access to device IDs?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by deltaforce, Sep 4, 2012.

1. deltaforce

deltaforce Android Enthusiast

Hello folks,

Just came across the news about iOS device IDs leaked online from FBI laptop. I have no clue, why the heck FBI would carry millions of these IDs (certainly there can not be so many terrorists or something in the US, else I running !!) but that brings to me to the question(s),

- do Android developers have access to the device IDs?
    - Can developer track installation of their program on the devices? i.e. the device ID on which the program was installed.
    - I am aware of some rogue programs that sign you up for their mailing list without asking you and then track you travel (otherwise, this program has a great function but I don't want someone to watch over me, not even DW. I am a free man, for god sake and a pretty much law abiding citizen. Seriously, I slow down as soon as I see a Police car or something ;)

So what do developers say?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mills2533

mills2533 Well-Known Member

Yes. If the app has the permission to READ_PHONE_STATE, it has access to the device's IMEI.

deltaforce likes this.
  3. deltaforce

And how do I figure out which apps have that permission? Is there any utility that scan apps for permissions?

4. Swizz

Swizz Android Enthusiast

5. deltaforce

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Well, many apps need that permission, otherwise they won't go to the background when someone calls or something of the like.