1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

do android phones suffer "glitches"?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by guy48065, Feb 2, 2014.

1. guy48065

guy48065 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 12, 2014
    My wife and I both have Galaxy S3 phones. Last week my morning alarm didn't go off and I found the setting had changed to Friday only...instead of M-F. On her phone she claimed to have lost mobile data one day and when I checked I found her Net10 APN was gone and the default old AT&T APN restored.

How do these changes happen?

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Every device suffers glitches every now and then from a simple lever to global cluster of supercomputers. The more complex the device, the more likely a glitch will rear it's ugly head. Android devices are no different.

Now, to explain your particular glitches (and I can only guess here) for the alarm change, these interfaces make it too easy to change settings without much confirmation. I am constantly moving appointment times by swiping through my calendar widget. I would guess that you inadvertently switch the day to Friday only. Now, it is possible that the setting became corrupted or changed during an app update ... say for example the dev said instead of selecting m-f, it now said "weekdays" and goofed up the way the settings update, or that there was simply a hiccup while updating and it read the setting incorectly, but those are less likely.

As for the APN change, it might also be that the Net10 APN was unavailable but it could find the AT&T APN so it switched to it. Until you manually change it back or the phone reboots with the Net10 APN available, it would stick to AT&T, even though the account might not be active.

Once it's a glitch, if it repeats then it's a problem.

Crashdamage likes this.
  3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Also if you've taken a big firmware update (like the recent 4.3 one) and not factory reset (wiped) the phone, you're more prone to little annoying glitches

4. !on

!on Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Indeed. It's worse if you take matters into your own hands & go the root / custom rom option. I say the devs take these roms to 97 - 99% perfection then move on to the next big thing. I've gone upgraded & downgraded & finally settled (touch wood) on something near perfect.

My original stock rom was what promted me to upgrade myself, problems with the alarm while plugged in, could not stop the alarm. You don't expect problems with stock roms but android keeps updating, so.....

5. guy48065

None

Jan 12, 2014
    Well that's a little unsettling. I wonder what sorts of problems have/will manifest themselves--possibly undiscovered?

6. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Those changes should not have occurred unless someone changed them. Are you ABSOLULTY sure that some third person didn't change them?

If the answer is yes I would be standing in my carrier's store getting them to explain what was happening.

You could try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them) and if the problems disappear then the cause(s) is a app(s) that you added.

... Thom

7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    You can't lump all of "android" together in a question like this. Sadly, it isnt that simple. Because android is open for manufacturers to make changes, not every "version" of android is equal.

There are so many variables that may apply that android as a whole has no control over - manufacturers make their own changes to android- which may introduce bugs, new OTA updates from the manufactures may introduce bugs, apps may have their own bugs, ect.

8. Wrend

Wrend Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 21, 2013
    Male
    Private IT Field
    Northern Illinois, USA
    Yeah, pretty much, though I would just add that I think it's a good thing we have a lot of options when choosing our devices and/or ROMs, and apps, and largely it's rather surprising that Android devices work as well as they do.

That being said, OEMs having as much leeway as they do is one of the main reasons I prefer Nexus devices. In my opinion, they're primarily Android as it was meant to be.

rui-no-onna and Rxpert83 like this.
  9. guy48065

None

Jan 12, 2014
    This is freaking me out. I just checked again and now it's TWThF.
    I'm positive I didn't alter it. You should be able to lock an alarm setting :-/

10. Oldhead775

Oldhead775 Member
    None

May 24, 2012
    Male
    Philadelphia Metropolitan Area
    An app called notification toggle caused major headaches with my s3. I had used it on my transform ultra, mainly for the flashlight. I didn't even realize that it's unnecessary on this device. But my alarm wouldn't work, I was late to work a couple times. Not exactly the same problem you're seeing, but I'm just giving an example of how third-party apps can cause things to go haywire.

11. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    You could try running in Safe Mode (disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them) and if the problems disappear then the cause(s) is a app(s) that you added.

About your calendar issue ... I had something odd that I will pass on ... I was playing with a calendar entry to test a Tasker function ... I needed to put a word in the description ... test ... take the word out of the description ... test again.

When I deleted the word in the description and saved the updated entry it was accepted and I assumed it was set. When I checked the word that I deleted was back again. I had to delete the word and insert a space for it to be actually deleted.

So ... for yours ... did you edit the calendar entry? After you did did you examine the result to see that it actually changed?

... Thom

DeadDude likes this.
  12. guy48065

None

Jan 12, 2014
    I only have one alarm set and that's on the standard Clock. I would hope that any notifications I might get from calendar entries (S Calendar) wouldn't interfere. I haven't made any February calendar entries yet so I'll wait & see if the alarm settings change again in the next few days.

13. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    Stock ROM on which device? I found most of my glitches I've ever had have been related to the manufacturer's "custom" Android version on their device. Acer, Samsung, HTC, etc.

14. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Galaxy S3 (message 1)

... Thom

15. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Could you provide us with a screenshot? Again, as I said before, it's far too easy from some of these apps to inadvertently change the selection without realizing it.

16. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

Jan 24, 2013
    Male
    Avionics Technician
    Centrally located far from everywhere, CA
    In answer to the original question; yes all devices 'glitch'.

Aside from the aforementioned software/firmware issues and inadvertent changes made whilst operating your device; much more magical things can go wrong from a physics standpoint-- ambient background noise (in the electromagnetic spectrum), aging components and materials, corrosion, and (my personal favorite) cosmic rays can all contribute to changes and modifications to your firmware, software, and data.

17. Shocky

Shocky On Probation
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    Allot of users have problems with the Samsung alarm it seems. It's reliable enough for me but there have been times it's not gone off. :dontknow:

guy48065 likes this.
  18. !on

!on Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Male
    UK
    I meant the firmware it shipped with (Moto Defy, 2.1).

I took the next available upgrade which fixed it. If the OP can find any firmware upgrades then that might solve their problem.

Android can't be perfect if they need to roll out new versions all the time! Not all of it is to add new features or streamlining, some of it is surely to iron out bugs in original firmwares. I think I was a bit hasty to point the finger at devs making custom roms, most of them are improvements on stock.

19. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    Android's nowhere near perfect, no. :p

I just recall a security report that found that Samsung/LG/etc introduced more bugs than existed in the base OS :p

20. !on

!on Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Indeed. I think doing my own trouble shooting has made me an 'android enthusiast' :D

That's why the iphone vs android argument is null & void, they just don't get it. "Can your phone do this!?" "No dear, you're missing the point". lol