• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do any of you use more than 1GB of data per month ?

Yes.

Google nav uses approx 1mb per 10miles. Copilot wouldnt use any.

Did you have the satellite layer on the whole time? I'm in the first month of ownership, have used Google Nav for about 800 miles this month, on the market almost every day, everything set to background update and I'm sitting about 250Mb right now, that figure will drop once I stop playing with my new toy.

I do use WiFi at home, but most of my internet access is away from home.

Upvote 0
Wow, I am amazed by the figures that are being shown on here!!! 1Gb, 2Gb or even more!!! What the hell do you lot do???

I use my phone all day, regularly checking the web, texting, making calls etc and I am using such a small amount of data from my allowance. I don't use streaming radio or music but then if I wanted to listen to music when out and about I'd copy a load onto my SD card.

If I want/need to download stuff or stream stuff I wait until I am in range of Wifi which I thought was the sensible option so that you don't use up your data allowance.

As for the people mentioning SatNav, I believe once you have the route planned at home via Wifi then there is negligible data download whilst using Maps in the car, unless you deviate from the route. Even then if you only deviate a short distance it's still pretty minimal. Not sure what the hell people are doing to use up 1Mb/10miles or similar.

Anyway, just to finish off I used about 40Mb last month and forecast to use a HUGE 20-25Mb this month.

Upvote 0
I have had my Desire for 22 days and have used 160MB of mobile data, so that's an average of 8MB a day, and under 250MB for a month. That's a lot more than my old Windows phone (about 20MB a month!) but I am doing a lot more with the Desire, including about a dozen journeys and 300 miles worth of Google Navigation (including some use of the satellite layer), mail, and web. I never use mobile data for video or music streaming or downloading, though I do use it for uploading photos to Facebook. I do also log my Wifi usage (at home and at the office) and that is up to 380MB, so that is set to exceed 500MB per month. I use wifi for downloading apps and video streaming (BeebPlayer and YouTube mainly, also BBC News) as well as the stuff I do when on mobile data. I think I am maybe too careful with my mobile data use and now that I am confident that I'm well under my 3GB monthly quota (with T-Mobile) I might use it more generously in the future. One key factor is battery usage - which is probably my main concern now. But I feel I can go about two days between charges under light use if required. Being careful to save power does of course reduce data consumption!

Ian

Upvote 0
Since May 21st I have used 670MB. Thats in the last 20 days. I have never gone over 1GB on this or my blackberry, but I have more oprtions for decent audio streaming on teh desire. When Slingplayer mobile comes out, I can easily see my self going over this.

Yes, this could be interesting - I have Slingplayer on my PCs. I never bothered with the Windows Mobile version, but I might be tempted with an Android version.

Ian

Upvote 0
Yes, this could be interesting - I have Slingplayer on my PCs. I never bothered with the Windows Mobile version, but I might be tempted with an Android version.

Ian

I used the free trial on blackberry and it was good. The only thing is I have a solo using Virgin media. I have it plugged into HDMI on the tv but the box only supports component so I'd have to change it on teh box to component (not as good on the TV) in order to watch it. Bit of a pain really.

Upvote 0
gee, this thread is more interesting than I thought it would be.

I've used about 900mb this month. my data use would be only about 200mb if it was not for the fact that google listen does not do a very good job of downloading podcasts when it's supposed to. I seem to almost always have to tell it to download podcasts manually. Which I tend to be doing away from my wifi. Guess my search continues for a podcast client.

Oh, and I downloaded a book in the audible beta app
http://groups.google.com/group/audible-for-android-beta

Upvote 0
Did you have the satellite layer on the whole time? I'm in the first month of ownership, have used Google Nav for about 800 miles this month, on the market almost every day, everything set to background update and I'm sitting about 250Mb right now, that figure will drop once I stop playing with my new toy.

I do use WiFi at home, but most of my internet access is away from home.
I do have a number of the lab layers on, yes.

Upvote 0
Lol just installed 3G watchdog to see how much I was using. My Orange plan is unlimited (I think with fair usage though it's like 3GB a month, correct me if I'm wrong though.)

Just managed to use 9.4MB in about 5 mins, so the figures of 1-2GB+ don't surprise me at all! You've made me quite interested to check now though, I'm pretty sure mine is above 2GB a month but I will get back to you in a months time with an actual figure (if the thread is still going!)

Upvote 0
Lol just installed 3G watchdog to see how much I was using. My Orange plan is unlimited (I think with fair usage though it's like 3GB a month, correct me if I'm wrong though.)

Just managed to use 9.4MB in about 5 mins, so the figures of 1-2GB+ don't surprise me at all! You've made me quite interested to check now though, I'm pretty sure mine is above 2GB a month but I will get back to you in a months time with an actual figure (if the thread is still going!)

Orange unlimited is generally 750mb I believe.

Upvote 0
Copy from Oranges conditions........
Inclusive Mobile Internet - Mobile internet browsing applies within the UK only. Any use outside the UK will be charged at the relevant international rates. Mobile Internet browsing does not include event charges such as for ringtones or games (transport costs for these events are included). Fair Usage policy of 750MB applies. Not to be used for Internet Tethering (e.g. using your handset as a modem - separate Tethered Data bundles are available). Should you exceed this limit or if such use is detected, notice may be given and Network protection controls applied to ensure the quality and availability of our network to all customers. This may result in, at Orange's discretion, reduced speed of transmission, suspension of mobile internet browsing services and/or suspension of your account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones