• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do any stores sell this phone?

matter0ni

Jun 5, 2011
Upstate SC
I want to buy the Nexus 5, but because of a long and complex story the money to buy this phone is half cash and half on a bank card. Because of this, I can't buy the phone online, so I'm trying to find out if any brick and mortar stores sell this phone?

I called best buy but they said they it's 650-700$ at their store (instead of 350$ for the 16GB google play version) due to the fact that they're tied to either ATT or Sprint carriers. Can you not buy the phone anywhere?

I believe T-Mo stores are selling the Nexus 5 in store - but I do not know if they will sell if off-contract, and what the price will be.

Best buy will sell you the 16GB version for $449.99 off contract (yes, $100 more than Google play, but still under $650-$700 that they quoted you)- LG Nexus 5 with 16GB Memory Mobile Phone LGD82016KT - Best Buy
(see the "Replacement (Phone only)" price of $449.99)

Contrary to what Bestbuy will tell you, the phone is unlocked and can work on GSM carriers. (It of course will not work on Verizon)

Sidenote - can't you deposit the cash into your bank account and buy it that way? (you save $100) - and if possible, use a credit card instead because of extended warranty and other benefits (assuming your credit card, like almost all others in the US, offers those benefits) - just pay off the credit card before interest accrues.

Upvote 0
I believe T-Mo stores are selling the Nexus 5 in store - but I do not know if they will sell if off-contract, and what the price will be.

Best buy will sell you the 16GB version for $449.99 off contract (yes, $100 more than Google play, but still under $650-$700 that they quoted you)- LG Nexus 5 with 16GB Memory Mobile Phone LGD82016KT - Best Buy
(see the "Replacement (Phone only)" price of $449.99)

Contrary to what Bestbuy will tell you, the phone is unlocked and can work on GSM carriers. (It of course will not work on Verizon)

Sidenote - can't you deposit the cash into your bank account and buy it that way? (you save $100) - and if possible, use a credit card instead because of extended warranty and other benefits (assuming your credit card, like almost all others in the US, offers those benefits) - just pay off the credit card before interest accrues.

thanks for the info! greatly appreciated. i worked at best buy before, so im used to the employees being completely uneducated and full of crap.

ill have to see if there are any local TMo stores around here and ring them up.

as far as depositing money in bank account, its a GreenDot card, and i cant "reload" (add funds) to it until the 'real' card comes in the mail. which will take forever because every time i choose a background image for the card (even art i made myself) they reject it after 3 days of 'review'. basically ill be in limbo for weeks until i have 3 submission 'strikes' and they just send a default card that i can add funds to.

edit: Called TMo, they have 1 in stock locally but for 504$ :( I give up. Best Buy won't price match phones either. QQ

Upvote 0
edit: Called TMo, they have 1 in stock locally but for 504$ :( I give up. Best Buy won't price match phones either. QQ

There have been some reports of bestbuy pricematching google play, but it is hit or miss depending on who you get. No harm in trying though.
If not, I doubt that you'll get it cheaper than $450 at a store (they shouldn't have any problems in selling it to you at 450 though - just show them their online price. I've never had problems getting them to match their online price.

Upvote 0
I am a cautious Best Buy customer. They're my last stop if I can't find what I want elsewhere. But by watching BB closely I have found both good deals and available Nexus devices there when I least expected it.

If they'd train their staff properly, it'd be a far better place and they'd make a lot more money. Best Buy has the right idea, they simply fall short on execution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones