• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do GSM phones in Metro get better signal?

dportal2006

Android Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2011
I noticed that a lot of people are getting better LTE speeds but are the cell phone signals better?

I have a metro cdma phone (galaxy s3) i get pretty good signal just about anywhere except in my house. I tried a friend's t-mobile phone and the signal was excellent in my house.

If i buy a GSM phone from metro or T-Mobile BYOP will it get cell phone signals from t-mobile towers or does that only apply for data speeds?

I noticed that a lot of people are getting better LTE speeds but are the cell phone signals better?

I have a metro cdma phone (galaxy s3) i get pretty good signal just about anywhere except in my house. I tried a friend's t-mobile phone and the signal was excellent in my house.

If i buy a GSM phone from metro or T-Mobile BYOP will it get cell phone signals from t-mobile towers or does that only apply for data speeds?
That is a great question. Coverage is depending of your area. To find if you will have better coverage, check the coverage map.

Upvote 0
Im in east central Florida (brevard co) and I just got my att s4 about a month ago. I brought it 2 metro, got it connected and ran a speed test cause I was curious about the same thing and depending where im at in my town my speeds range anywhere from 11mbps down and 1.75mbps up to about 18.5mbps down and 5.25mbps up, whereas my old lg connect 4g would have struggled to get up to 5mbps down and .5mbps up with a full signal and my s4 can have 2-3 bars and still blow my old connect 4g out of the water. I did however have to add a AWS enabling mod witch enables my att gs4 to access t-metros radios among others so I could use t-metros towers when needed, which is like all the time cause there is only a couple tiny spots around here where I actually get lte service from att but they r so far and few betwixt them that I haven't had a chance to run a speed test in those areas. But it dont really matter tho cause i use my 4g data over most wifi spots like my place im currently staying at where the wifi is stupid slow compared to the 4g I get... sorry for the long winded discussion on my behalf but thx 4 reading

Upvote 0
Im in east central Florida (brevard co) and I just got my att s4 about a month ago. I brought it 2 metro, got it connected and ran a speed test cause I was curious about the same thing and depending where im at in my town my speeds range anywhere from 11mbps down and 1.75mbps up to about 18.5mbps down and 5.25mbps up, whereas my old lg connect 4g would have struggled to get up to 5mbps down and .5mbps up with a full signal and my s4 can have 2-3 bars and still blow my old connect 4g out of the water. I did however have to add a AWS enabling mod witch enables my att gs4 to access t-metros radios among others so I could use t-metros towers when needed, which is like all the time cause there is only a couple tiny spots around here where I actually get lte service from att but they r so far and few betwixt them that I haven't had a chance to run a speed test in those areas. But it dont really matter tho cause i use my 4g data over most wifi spots like my place im currently staying at where the wifi is stupid slow compared to the 4g I get... sorry for the long winded discussion on my behalf but thx 4 reading

I understand that having and AT&T S4 you need the AWS mod in order to get the T-Mobile AWS & LTE but what I don't understand is how using a Metro SIM card you are able to "get" the AT&T towers. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I understand that having and AT&T S4 you need the AWS mod in order to get the T-Mobile AWS & LTE but what I don't understand is how using a Metro SIM card you are able to "get" the AT&T towers. :thinking:

Not sure, I may b wrong about being able to use the att towers but when I go into the settings under more networks, mobile networks, network operators, I get a menu that says available networks, under that I have 2 options, 1. Select automatically or 2. Default setup. Now if I choose default setup I get 2 more options 1 being automatic and the 2nd being manual. In the manual option I gotta wait a min for it to find networks but there r a few, some ive never herd of and some like att, t-mobile, metro. I can choose 1 of them. Now I havent really been brave enough to try some of them out but a couple times neither t-mobile or metro showed up in the list. So heres where I guess I make an a$$ of myself for making the assumption that I was using the att towers

Upvote 0
Its the same with the Metro S4 . Don't be afraid, I did it and nothing bad happened, you choose AT&T network or another one and it returns to the default network.

Gotcha...thx...and I still stick to one of my previous statements that this phone is hands down the best phone ive ever had the privilege to own/play with... :) with the shear number of things a person with a little bit of knowledge like myself can do with this phone is awesome and im still learning so much everyday thx to everyone who puts their spare time into this phone to only make it better. I think (my opinion and it doesnt have to b yours also) that gsm is far far better than cdma any day of the week, month, or year...again its my opinion and doesnt have to b shared but thx 4 reading anyway

Reactions: danyvw
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones