• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do I get any choice on my new phone #?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question and I have actually searched but couldn't find anything one way or the other.

A couple years ago when I bought a Virgin Mobil phone at Best Buy they gave me the choice of three numbers when I activated there. (There's always one of three I think will be easier to remember.)

What does Metro do and does that depend on if you activate in store or on-line?

I've had a ported # from another area code for almost 10 years now with 2 different carriers, it'll be strange actually having "the correct" area code.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

With metro you do have the choice to port-in any active number even landlines! Just need the account number and PIN number for us to pull the number.

As for a new number we get list of numbers to choose from, in my boston market i have a choice of 5-7 area codes followed by the next 3 digits and the last 4 digits will be generated once your activation is complete.

Upvote 0
I have no experience on new activations on our metropcs.com website but there should be a way to choose your numbers, using the *228 activation method will get you connected to customer service which will have the same numbers available to them that a dealers has.

As for a number port-in phone number change, that can be tricky most dealers don't even know its possible but it is. You could also try metro's customer service but some of them probably won't know or ask you to hold while they ask. Just make sure to have your account number and PIN number for that phone number in hand when your going to do it and make sure the line is still active.

If you want to know what exactly happens when they do a port-in i'll explain, as i figured out when I did this for a customer through the porting department. What they do is go into your current account and switch the current phone you have active to another phone they have on site. Then they add a new line while at the same time porting over your number with your current phone. Once the port goes through they program your phone and remove the immediate fee that is usually charged for a new line. Your bill will still be due the same day and your port will be complete!

Reactions: OcalaFlGuy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones