• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Do I have a flytouch?

fredsmith

Jun 13, 2010
Hi folks,
A friend stopped by and asked me to help set up his tablet. I'm pretty experienced with hacking tablets, having jailbroken an ipad, rooted my viewsonic g-tablet, and am running the MIUI ROM on my Evo 4g. I figured "No big deal". Well, he brought me the thing and I was amazed. I've never seen anything like it. It has a front like an ipad (thought longer and more narrow, about the dimensions of the gtablet), with 1 button on the bezel (which looks exactly like the iPad button). None of the Android menu buttons are present.
Hardware description:

On the bottom, from left to right
  • Power jack
  • Ethernet port
  • HDMI Out
  • USB Port
  • Memory Card slot
  • USB Port
  • A small bump that the icon on the back has labelled as a headphone jack

Right, from bottom to top:
  • A small hole with a Phillips head screw recessed in it
  • WiFi on/off switch
  • Speaker
  • Menu btton
  • Home Button
  • Volume Rocker
  • Power button, though it never seems to shut the device off. It just locks the screen and dims the display somewhat
  • Pinhole speaker
  • About 2.5" with nothing
  • Small brass or copper connector of some type
  • Speaker
  • Bump that probably covers another recessed Phillips screw
  • A silver stylus

Top:
Nothing but two stickers

Left:
A recessed reset button

The screen appears to be a capacitive touch screen, as you really need the stylus to get a decent response

The Marketplace is there, but many items don't come up. For example, I had to copy Root Explorer over from my phone, because it didn't appear in the market place. Using Root Explorer to view the build.props, the entries are:
ro.build.id=FRF85B
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.zjd.20110504.162548
ro.build.version.sdk=8
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.2
ro.build.type=user
ro.build-user=zjd
ro.build-host=dtlinuxserver
ro.product.model=DISCO10
ro.product.brand=generic
ro.product.name=DISCO10
ro.product.device=disco10

Is this a Flytouch or Superpad? Do I have any realistic hope of upgrading the ROM to something more modern, like CM7 or AOSP Gingerbread?

Any help is appreciated!

Is this a Flytouch or Superpad? Do I have any realistic hope of upgrading the ROM to something more modern, like CM7 or AOSP Gingerbread?

Any help is appreciated!

I appears to be a Flytouch3/Superpad2 (thats what they are called!). As it reports being a DISCO10 model the only updated firmware, as Rabid1 posted earlier, are upgrades to 2.2 There is no update to 2.3 or above as yet....and there probably wont be for the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones