• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do I have a free ram issue?

D

Deleted User

I use HTC desire Z on Cyanogen mod 7 and my free memory is currently hitting 100. (I think I do have like 300 rams total if i count the 200 Used, 300 is kind of a weird number no?)

Anyway... Is 100 making my phone slower? Anyway to fix this?

I have apps on background such as:

Facebook : 26mb
Widget Locker : 16mb
Go sms pro : 20mb
Swype : 20mb

Other stuff also but they don't take as much rams.

Is it normal to run on 100 free ram and does it slow my phone down? (Or can I make it faster by freeing up rams?)

Do you feel your phone is running any slower than it did when you first got it? If you are running out of resources, you might see a lag at times but overall performance should be pretty consistent. If you are looking to boost performance, freeing ram won't have much of an effect, if any. You might try a custom kernel and overclock, but it will have a negative impact on battery life.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Battery pull on a powered on handset can also have a terrible result and damage some phones, the desire s for one. Tread carefully doing such things.
Agreed. Very bad idea and should only be done as a last resort on a badly locked-up phone. That doing so has not caused valorian catastrophic failure only proves the robustness of Linux/Android.

Reactions: Logan47
Upvote 0
For the record, pulling the battery from any device while it is on is not recommended. It is the same as experiencing a power outage on a PC. Most of the time it will boot up, but if at the time of an outage there were file system writes in progress you could corrupt data or the entire file system. On a solid state device like smartphones, the risk is minimal, but there still is a risk.

Now, we seem to be hijacking the OP's thread. If you wish to continue this, I'll move this to a new thread, otherwise let's address the OP's question.

Upvote 0
I point out the battery pull issues as I know from the desire s forum this has hard bricked some phones, damaging the eMMC chip. A design flaw perhaps? As op has a device from the desire family it seems prudent to be forwarded.
As to the op problem if you feel the device is slowing down then you'll need to look at some background apps such as Widget locker which can be a bit if a hog on some devices. See what you have running and maybe cut a few out that you don't really use or need much.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones