1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Do I have to perform Hard reset after firmware update ?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by kayne5, Sep 27, 2011.

1. kayne5

kayne5 Member
    None

Sep 23, 2011
    Hey Folks. Seems like In Galaxy S2 forum people are not knowledgeable enough to tell me do I have to perform full or hard factory reset (if I do - which one?) after official firmware update.

I just made a move to 2.3.4 and after installation nothing changed to my apps and settings, messages, contacts etc.

Only problem is that now I see that my home screen is slower when more than 7-8 widgets are on it, not like really smooth, but slower and more scrappy when scrolling from one screen to other...

Thanx in advance !

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Maybe you do? AFAIK an OS upgrade should have wiped the phone.

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Normally you shouldn't have to do a factory reset after an upgrade. That said... sometimes there are benefits to starting fresh. It's really dependent on the specific handset and the update.

In your circumstance you could try to clear the dalvik cache if your specific model phone supports doing that. If that doesn't help then maybe a factory reset would be a prudent next step.

4. kayne5

kayne5 Member
    None

Sep 23, 2011
    I just did reset. Problem still persists. But maybe it should be like that, when all the home screens are full with animated widgets, it becomes slower, but as I said, not really slower, but just not so smooth, scrolling sometimes is a bit scrappy, but not always, of course when I tried to fill all my 7 screens with clocks , mostly with classics clocks, screen and apps menu was really scrappy, I did it for testing purpose :D.

What do you think ?

I have stock launcher, if it helps.

5. landovr

landovr Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Firefighter
    Alberta Canada
    Unlike having 7 apps running at the same time where as the system will pause the ones you are not using, when you have a bunch of widgets on your homescreen they all have to run at the same time using up system resources.

6. kayne5

kayne5 Member
    None

Sep 23, 2011
    Slowing down happens when heavy and animated widgets are put on, like dual clock and classical clock, but I guess it's 2.3.4 version bug, cause I can't remember having this in 2.3.3 , or maybe I just didn't pay attention to it so much, cause scrolling remains fast, it just not so smooth.

I tried other launhcers, they even don't have those heavy clock widgets in widgets menu, maybe exactly for this reason ?