1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Do I Need A Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gunnzie, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Gunnzie

Gunnzie Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    I've ordered a SGT 10.1 and a case which covers the screen when closed. My question then is do I really need a screen protector? I think the screen is Gorilla Glass so is there really any need?

Advertisement

2. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Depends on your level of protection and how you handle the device.

For me, I used a screen protector on my first smartphone. But removed it after a week as it reduces sensitivity and I'm not careless with my phones. Since then (several years) I've had several phones and tablets and never used a screen protector on any of them, and never had a scratch. If you think you're liable to scratch it, then get a screen protector. If not, then don't.

As for Gorilla Glass, yes it has it. But even GG is not totally scratch proof. It resists scratches and impacts better than regular glass, but sand can scratch it in the right circumstances.

And the case you bought, check to make sure it doesn't press on the Power button when you close it. I had the official Samsung Tab folio case for a day but returned it when I realized it kept turning off my Tab when I folded the cover over it. I now use a simple TPU gel case ($12 on Amazon), just like the phone cases, to give it some protection and grip. I've had it for about 4 months and it works great for me.

YMMV.
    :D

Wintings likes this.
  3. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    I had a screen protector for maybe a week and removed it. I only use the Samsung cover.

4. chile62

chile62 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Farmer
    Southern Colorado
    I use a screen protector just to cut down on the finger smudge factor. ;)

5. Jensharley

Jensharley Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    I use a screen protector and it doesn't interfere with the touch sensitivity that I can tell. Like chile62 I like the fact it reduces the smudges.

6. DC1022

DC1022 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    I use a screen protector. Like other people have said it does help with reducing finger prints smudges, and I've had no sensitivity issues. It was a but grippy at first but it hours away fast and then is really smooth. I like having the extra protection even though I am an extremely careful person with my devices, and I mean extreme. Like before I had one,i would not touch anything before I used my tablet. Now I touch things and eat with my hands although it still has to be relatively clean food and not that messy. And after ask that once in a while I just give it a quick screen clean and its back to perfect.

7. CargoMatatu

CargoMatatu Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    Male
    I.T. Product Manager
    Luxembourg
    I used a screen protector for a couple of weeks but removed it as I felt it reduced the touch sensitivity.

Much happier without it (although I still use one on my phone).

8. trevytrev

trevytrev Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    This is such a personal choice so perhaps get one and see if you like it. Personally I don't like them at all and as long as you take care of things you'll really never need one. I've had an HTC desire for nearly 2 years and it's not got a single blemish on the screen, my Tab is in the book cover so again, I can't see any reason for one.

9. juux

juux Lurker
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    bxtzd3 likes this.
  10. mystic7

mystic7 Member
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    I am also super ridiculously careful with my stuff, but I got a Zagg screen protector and a Targus cover for my SGT. The Zagg is a major pain in the neck to install, in fact the Geek Squad actually charges 14 bucks to install it. It looks like complete crap the first few days until the micro bubbles all work themselves out. It also appears as if there is dust under it when you wipe it, but once that all goes away it looks great. It gives peace of mind knowing you basically can't scratch the screen with it on, and, yes, it smudges a lot less than the actual screen.

As for the Targus, it says it's made specifically for the SGT 10.1, but the fit is so tight you almost feel like you're doing cosmetic damage to your tab while inserting it. Plus, the eyehole does not line up with the rear facing camera! I had to get an exacto