1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support do i need sync on?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by evan938, Aug 5, 2010.

1. evan938

evan938 Member

Jul 20, 2010
    on my power control, what exactly does the sync (2nd from right) do? is it one of those things that if im asking, i probably don't need to have it on? i tried to search but i came up with about 20 pages, and none of the titles seemed to address my question. i saw something about gmail, which i dont use, and some other things

i feel like i got in over my head going from a razr2 to this phone. lol.

Advertisement

2. contagous

contagous Android Expert

May 21, 2010
    Gfx Design / Network Engineer
    Seattle WA
    That will sync your contacts and emails and push notification... Without it on those wont sync.

3. evan938

evan938 Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Meaning what? My email is thru hotmail which i just open a browser to check (unless theres an easier way to do this im not aware of).

4. PearlRose

PearlRose Well-Known Member

I think sync is a personal preference. For 8 hours a day, I rarely touch my phone as I am at work.

I have my sync turned off and opt to run manual sync's whenever I am checking updates on FB, Twitter, or Gmail (not a main email). I manually sync Gmail only after adding a new contact to my phone, which is like... never :p

My email is the only thing I have running auto sync which is about every hour and I've had no issues with it stopping. So I don't believe it's linked to that option in the power panel. Mine is off and I still get emails with the rest needing a manual update.

5. necosino

necosino Android Expert

Apr 14, 2010
    Accountant and semi-pro poker player
    Upstate NY
    At work I have sync off since I get email notifications through Chrome -> Gmail, and I talk to most of my friends through AIM/Yahoo (at work, lol)

As soon as I leave though I turn sync back on.