• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do I need to flash Siyah etc before CM7 install

Hi

I have rooted my Galaxy S2 i1900T, but done nothing else apart from the backups (Titanium & nandroid)

And now want to install Cyanogen mod 7.1.

Little confused if I need to flash a kernel as in Siyah before flashing CM7

or can you just flash the ROM.

any help is appreciated.

Welcome to the forums :D

All custom roms come with their own kernel of some sort. Some even come with Siyah! Remember to flash Siyah v2.6.x, not v3.x, since you're on a gingerbread rom.

Upvote 0
Hi, so this means that CM 7.1 is based on Gingerbread?
What kind of kernel does CM 7.1 for SGS2 has ? What's it called ?
Please help, I want to install CM 7.1 on my SGS2, and I need some help
Right now I have CF-Root stock kernel

CM7 is indeed a GB based ROM, as opposed to CM9 which is ICS based.

It really doesn't matter what kernel it has as it is installed with the ROM and you can flash Siyah over the top of it if you don't think it's good enough.

For more information on CyanogenMod, see here:-

CyanogenMod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CyanogenMod-7.2.0-RC1 is upon us | CyanogenMod

[ROM][GWK74] CyanogenMod 7 [DEVELOPMENT ONLY] - xda-developers

for Q&A and installation instructions, see here:-

[NIGHTLY][ROM][GWK74] CyanogenMod 7 (w/ Gingerbread 2.3.7) for Galaxy SII Q&A - xda-developers

Reactions: Ehknaton
Upvote 0
Thanks for you response ironass,
and does this mean that CM 7 can be flashed on all SGS2's no matter the firmware(Kj3, BUk...) from all regions of the world ? except US AT&T.
Also whats that thing with installing from CWM from zip twice ? Do I have to do it twice just to be sure ?

I believe CM7 is most likely to work on international SGS2s with the code I9100. There are variations, such as the I9100G, that are not compatible. If you have the right model, it doesn't matter what firmware you are currently on; as long as you wipe data/factory reset before flashing.

The CWM 'twice' thing I believe is as follows:

1. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
2. Wipe Cache
3. Wipe Dalvik Cache (in advanced)
4. Wipe Battery Stats (in advanced)

Then repeat 1-4. You only need to install the CM7 zip once. Doing it twice shouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't risk it.

Upvote 0
I'm afraid that you really do need to flash CM7 twice....

"Install via ClockworkMod (do not use ROMManager for initial install):
Make sure you're running a rooted device.
Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1118693)
Do a Nandroid backup!
WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition) - do it for real.
Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery.
Do not reboot! We mean it - do nothing except choose zip and continue next step (if you come back to us with permission issues in install, we will know you did not read the directions and will call you an idiot). If it just plain hangs, reboot directly back into ClockworkMod recovery and continue at the next step.
Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery, again (due to a bug in the install).
Reboot
Install the Google Addon through ROMManager which is easiest, but you can
download the gapps.zip and install via ClockworkMod recovery instead.
"

See post #1, here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones