• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Do I NEED to know Java?

mrsocks

Sep 27, 2010
Hello,

I am looking to get into developing an application and wanted to get some feedback on where to begin.

I have been programming in PHP for over 10 yrs and Java/Grails for the past year. I am getting familiar with Java, but I'm sure I still dont know a fraction of what it can do.

In my php days, I have seen a number of people doing Drupal (a php based framework/portal/cms system) work that didnt know PHP directly. I was hoping that I could go through and become familiar with the Android framework and be able to write applications without being a Java expert.

Is something like this possible?

I was also hoping to find projects that have done something similar to what I want to do and they reverse engineer / tweak it to meet my needs.
Are there repositories of projects out there that I can download and review? I have been going through tutorials and videos, but know that I will quickly run into something that I cannot find and will need some guidance on.

Thank you for your time.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones