• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Do I need to update my phone?

Ive just got my SGS, and am also on froyo, according to Kies there is a update for my phone, I guess this is for gingerbread and am wondering the same question ...Is it worth updating my phone or will it make no difference to speak of.

I have read that some people noticed a difference with their batteries lasting a bit longer but that the wifi was weaker after updating their SGS's......

thank you for you thoughts on this

toshiba

Upvote 0
You may go ahead and update. I'm running 2.3.3 and have been for a while now. Indeed the battery last much longer and my wifi has not been affected as Toshiba claims. With every update in th OS there will be a lots of bug fixes, some you might notice and some you won't but for sure with every new STABLE version you will have your phone running smoother.

Using Kies o doing a manual update is up to you, but im sure that with some online reading you will have a newer version running in a few minutes...

Reactions: toshiba
Upvote 0
I'm not technical so be gentle!

Galaxy S GT-I9000 about 6mths old. Firmware version says 2.2.1

Do I need to update, how do I do it and do I need to register with Samsung to do so?

Ta!

To update use kies..i guess. Not gonna lie, Kies is a buggy piece of S***.
You dont need to update, Froyo is a solid fw. Don't update for the sake of updating, Check out a change log to see if its even worth the hassle!:D

Reactions: toshiba
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones