• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do I really "need" a smart phone??

dweezle

Jul 17, 2010
I am not a Luddite and I am not an "early adopter". I own a netbook, two laptops, one desktop, two GPS (Car and hiking), a cell phone (Motorola E815), and a Wilson Electronics Direct Connect antenna amp. I am a Verizon customer, because, short of using a satellite phone, it gives me voice signal in the most places. (Often remote areas in Western States.)

My question is a simple one. Is there any good reason, other than tech curiosity, that I should be shopping for a smart phone? I'm trying to NOT be swept up by the advertising deluge and user frenzy. Plus, the extra cost of the Verizon data plans seems excessive to me.

Thanks

technically only yourself can answer this question.

what sort of person are you.

if you want a device that lets you listen to music, watch videos, play games, use gps for driving, cycling or hiking, internet and email, make calls and send/receive txts, take photos and video without having to carry 10 devices everywhere then smartphone is a good choice.

if you just want the phone to make calls and send/receive txts and happy carrying all the separate devices then smartphone is properly not for you.

the end of the day it is up to yourself to make this decision.

Upvote 0
With a smartphone and the data plan you can almost certainly drop your two GPS devices and probable your netbook.

Smartphones have come a long way over the past 2-3 years and they are pretty much mini computers these days. You can have 32gb of storage, 1gHz processors, 512mb RAM and nice >3.5" screens (if you choose). Web browsing is great, email is great and GPS service to smartphones is just as good as any external GPS device.

I think you would be more than happy with a smartphone, especially considering you could turn 4 devices you carry around now into one.

Upvote 0
It comes down to whether or not you want the features a smartphone offers. I bought an Incredible because I like having what is essentially a computer in my pocket. I find having access to the internet whenever I need it useful. I stream lots of music. The GPS is handy. Those features alone made buying a smartphone worthwhile. But you have to look at what a smartphone can offer you and decide for yourself if the price is justified.

Upvote 0
Then you'll have to look at VZW's service maps to see if you're covered.

I know that you meant that as a helpful suggestion, but operating in fringe areas becomes a whole new ball game. It's just not the same as trying to use my phone in an urban area with lots of Verizon towers. It comes down to using every ounce of my phone's ability to send and receive voice or text signal. I don't read much about any Android phone and actually making a voice call. My phone has pulled me out of the middle of a forest fire, when I had no idea which roads were blocked. It has been able to reach 911 when I came upon a bad injury accident in the middle of the Arizona desert. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to have all the additional features of a smart phone, but my primary need is to use it as a telephone.

Upvote 0
if you are concerned about getting reception in the middle of nowhere to make voice call then you should get the same reception as any other phone. smartphone or not.

different carriers have different coverage levels but if you stay with your current carrier it should be ok.

you might not be able to get internet connection but you should be able to make voice calls the same as your current phone.

Upvote 0
Smartphones aren't for everyone. In fact, if it weren't for me being self employed and rarely in the office during business hours, I wouldn't have one; I would still have a clamshell on which I could send/receive Gmail, use Opera Mini to browse the web and use Google Reader, take pictures and send them to whoever. Using the Gmail J2ME client I could even read the text portions of any PDF or DOC file attached to an email I received.

Without bluetooth (which I won't use), I have found the form factor of any smartphone I've tried very awkward for use as a phone. I much prefer a clamshell style phone for actual phone use. If someone came out with a clamshell form factor Android phone, similar to what RIM did with the Pearl Flip, I would be all over it. Unfortunately I think I would have very little company, which means such a device will probably never happen.

Upvote 0
My Garmin got stolen, my mp3 player died, my point and shoot is only 128 mb capable, and my flip phone battery died.
I got a smart phone that replaced them all, surfs the net, has a construction level, and a lot of other useful apps. (Still waiting for the construction calculator to be ported over.) the only electronic unit I still use that is not in the phone is a my Lieca laser range finder.

As someone else said, no signal affects all phones on all carriers--smart or not. However, I believe the GPS does not rely on tower coverage. Can someone verify this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones