• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do I Really Need Advanced Task Killer?

No, but you do need Task Manager by Adao Team if your on one of the so called unlimited internet data plans.

I have an unlimited data plan, or so I thought till I started getting warning e-mails about my usage and pending further charges if I went beyond my 500 meg monthly allowance.

My Wildfire burns up around 15 megs a day just idling. By idling, I mean just e-mail and text messages so your allowance of around 16.6 megs per day, runs out fairly quickly.

Task Manager stops things from running till you want them to and means you can actually use your phone without fear of further charges.

I would run a network usage monitor too. Pays to keep an eye on just how much traffic your phone actually uses when you thinks it's doing nowt.

Just my opinion and no doubt others may disagree. :)

Upvote 0
No, but you do need Task Manager by Adao Team if your on one of the so called unlimited internet data plans.

I have an unlimited data plan, or so I thought till I started getting warning e-mails about my usage and pending further charges if I went beyond my 500 meg monthly allowance.

My Wildfire burns up around 15 megs a day just idling. By idling, I mean just e-mail and text messages so your allowance of around 16.6 megs per day, runs out fairly quickly.

Task Manager stops things from running till you want them to and means you can actually use your phone without fear of further charges.

I would run a network usage monitor too. Pays to keep an eye on just how much traffic your phone actually uses when you thinks it's doing nowt.

Just my opinion and no doubt others may disagree. :)

You could just change the sync frequency of the app or even change your data settings.

Once in froyo, task killing gets harder

Upvote 0
You can do that in android anyway... Settings>Applications>Manage applications.
But you shouldn't need to "kill" apps, unless its poorly coded. Did you read the article?

For me ATK remembers my previous choices and automatically retains the previously retained ones. Hence its much easier to use ATK than the Android Default way.

Also, so many aplications doesnt have a provition to close while you exit. At least I could not do that. Some are Opera Mini Browser, camera, flashlight etc etc..

Usually I am able to free the memroy by 20 to 30 mb.. And I think thats useful..

Upvote 0
I'm with Danfrance - I installed ATK as soon as I got the phone, then got rid of it after a couple of months. My user experience is no different, and if anything I'd say my battery life is better since ATK is not continually polling to check what is resident in memory (although that might be imaginary :) ). I don't think freeing up memory actually has much benefit on Android - you start something else, it frees it up automatically, you leave it as it is, the more recently used stuff is "already there"

Meanwhile:

Holy cow! 15Mb a day on email and text? That's pretty much what I use mine for and I see more like 0.5Mb a day (using 3Gwatchdog as a data monitor - like you I was concerned about going over my allowance). How regularly are you syncing? Do you have anything like Facebook or Latitude running permanently?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones