• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do IM clients use texts or data on Verizon?

EmOtaku

Aug 31, 2010
Out of curiousity, I was wondering if Verizon counts IM clients as texts or as data usage? I've read various conflicting posts saying that Google Talk counts as data while all other clients count as texts and others saying all IMs count as texts.

I have the unlimited texting plan so ultimately it doesn't matter, but I'd like to know if I use ebuddy or the actual Yahoo IM client off the market if it will use texts or data.

You'd figure it should be data, but knowing how cell companies work, and especially Verizon, I wouldn't be surprised if they used this as yet another chance to squeeze people into higher rate plans and options. Hell, texts shouldn't even count beyond data anyways, but that's a whole nother thorn in my craw.

Thanks!

Out of curiousity, I was wondering if Verizon counts IM clients as texts or as data usage? I've read various conflicting posts saying that Google Talk counts as data while all other clients count as texts and others saying all IMs count as texts.

I have the unlimited texting plan so ultimately it doesn't matter, but I'd like to know if I use ebuddy or the actual Yahoo IM client off the market if it will use texts or data.

You'd figure it should be data, but knowing how cell companies work, and especially Verizon, I wouldn't be surprised if they used this as yet another chance to squeeze people into higher rate plans and options. Hell, texts shouldn't even count beyond data anyways, but that's a whole nother thorn in my craw.

Thanks!

I think the Verizon-branded IM client uses both data and text messages, but I may be wrong....either way I'd suggest using a different client, like Trillian or the native Google Talk client.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones