1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Do Live Wallpapers hit hard on battery life?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thetingster, Oct 6, 2011.

1. thetingster

thetingster Android Enthusiast

I have not been using live wallpapers on my Bionic. I am using the standard battery and have been getting pretty good life on it, (at least make it through the day) so far. I am curious what others experiences are with using live wallpapers all the time.

Advertisement

2. ddemlong

ddemlong Well-Known Member

They have negligible impact. You might notice some lag on the homescreen though. Its essentially an app that running all the time. More of a RAM user but with a dual core 1ghz its not a much of a issue since we have 4-500 at any given point.

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

I used to use them when I bought my first android device. They consume some battery but I've always had back up batteries. If u like em' use them!

4. arnould

arnould Member

If you go into " Settings> About phone> Battery use" you will get a list of every app and services that is using 2% or more of the battery.

I use the Smoke live wallpaper and occasionally it will show up on the list as using 2%, but usually it is not on the list.

So it does utilize battery, but it seems to be fairly insignificant. I've only tested the Smoke one, others may vary.

Java Programming

5. KoryMiller340

KoryMiller340 Lurker

I've had my Bionic for about a week and noticed my battery life was horrible when I had the aquarium live wallpaper. I got rid of it, and battery life has greatly increased. Just my experience.

6. dguy

dguy Android Expert

I recently did a mostly nonscientific experiment to see how live wallpapers affect the battery life of the Bionic by seeing how much battery I had left at the end of a normal work day with a normal wallpaper and then doing it again with a live wallpaper(Nexus wallpaper). I made sure to keep my usage between the two days as identical as is reasonably possible. I ended the day with 50% left on both days.

7. thetingster

thetingster Android Enthusiast

That sounds like a pretty good test. I think that it probably also makes a huge difference which live wallpaper is used.

8. jlrosell

jlrosell Android Enthusiast

I use the weather bug elite live wallpaper. It is the weather radar map. I only have it set to update every hour, so it isnt as constantly active as other live wallpapers. I havent noticed any drain on battery life, but the refresh rate is likely the reason why.

9. x026092

x026092 Android Enthusiast

I used them when I first got the phone with no noticable drain on my battery, but it did mess with my mouse on the lapdock. It made the cursor jumpy.

10. welbinator

welbinator Android Enthusiast

It's actually Settings > Battery & data manager then tap on the picture of a battery.

I use The Matrix Live Wallpaper, and it uses about 3% of my battery. I use the extended battery and I use the crap out of this phone and my phone lasts all day. I never used live wallpapers on my droid incredible because it would be dead in a matter of hours.