• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do Not Disturb for Android? I want to text in class

androidw2

Dec 27, 2010
Hello,

Is there a way I could get a Do not Disturb feature in Android? I have the Galaxy Nexus, unrooted, on 4.1.1. I just want all sounds to be turned off, including alarms and everything, so I can feel totally safe texting and using my phone in class (which is not allowed). I don't think silent mode cuts it, as things still make noise(such as google now).

I am assuming you saw the iPhone 5 commercial where they showed the "Do not disturb" mode.

With most Motorola devices you can use the Smart Actions app, which is even better than the apple setting, because with this you can set it to go on silent at specific times the day... and much more than that. Currently I use it for sleeping and work, so at 11pm my phone is on silent, then at 7am it comes on til 8am.. and so on..

But the galaxy nexus isn't Motorola so I'm not entirely sure if you're able to get that specific app, though I would think there has to be more apps that do the exact same thing.
Anyone know of any off hand?

Upvote 0
I am assuming you saw the iPhone 5 commercial where they showed the "Do not disturb" mode.

Hey pay a ton more than you would for similar hardware from other manufacturers, aaaannnnnnddd, well things kinda don't work sometimes. But you deal with the problem. They might as well have blamed people for holding it wrong AGAIN.

"Do Not Disturb scheduling feature will resume normal functionality after January 7, 2013. Before this date, you should manually turn the Do Not Disturb feature on or off."

Apple says 'Do Not Disturb' bug will fix itself after Jan. 7

Upvote 0
Try Shush! I love it. I assume that you can recall to silence your phone as you walk onto campus or into class for the first time every day. Shush will allow you to silence your phone by pressing the sound key all the way to silent mode then you get a pop-up to choose to either silence it for xx hours or until a certain time of day.

(You may want to make sure all your notifications are truly silent. I have only used this occasionally and may not have all the notifications you have.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5wdWJsaWNvYmplY3Quc2h1c2giXQ..

Reactions: androidw2
Upvote 0
It's funny how I made it through my whole school and University time (two degrees) without having the need for a mobile in class. I also taught some under graduate labs at one time and would have confiscated any phones that had been used and I would expect your teacher(s) to do the same. If there's an emergency then people should know where to get you if you're at school, the school itself should actually have a telephone with a number that anyone can ring ....

Bah humbug over ....

Dave

Upvote 0
And there's an entire thread for this..!! Anyways you reduce the ringer volume and then you reduce your media volume. that's all.If you open your music screen and reduce the volume volume button reduces the media volume. On the home screen the volume button reduces ringer volume

There you have it. What I use successfully on all my Android phones to make the sound disappear completely.

Upvote 0
It's funny how I made it through my whole school and University time (two degrees) without having the need for a mobile in class. I also taught some under graduate labs at one time and would have confiscated any phones that had been used and I would expect your teacher(s) to do the same. If there's an emergency then people should know where to get you if you're at school, the school itself should actually have a telephone with a number that anyone can ring ....

Bah humbug over ....

Dave

I have to agree. I went through five and a half years of University life (also for two degrees) and the only portable phone available was a bag phone, which I did not own. In all that time, I had one "emergency" and somehow the university used my schedule and found me. Boy how things have changed!!

BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0
I use Tasker myself, both to silence the phone at certain times and also when I have appointments in my calendar (conditional on my busy/free status in the appointment). Sure llama could do the same.

Neither can make the phone invisible though, and as a university teacher myself that is what I require in classes ;)

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
I tend to have panic attacks when I leave without my phone. What would I do without it?

Also, I was thinking of using
my phone for my studies- to record my professor's lectures- but I still need it to be silent. What about alarm volumes? I can't just change that every time, I just want one button to click.

Upvote 0
I tend to have panic attacks when I leave without my phone. What would I do without it? ...

I believe a visit to the shrink is required in this case .... :D

... Also, I was thinking of using
my phone for my studies- to record my professor's lectures- but I still need it to be silent. What about alarm volumes? I can't just change that every time, I just want one button to click.

So, switch it to 'silent' and 'airplane mode on'. That way you get no calls/texts etc plus no unwanted sounds (though the alarm, and maybe other apps, can 'override' the 'silent') but you can still record/use the keyboard etc.

Dave

Upvote 0
Well, original thread before the bump was 2013.

Since then many people got lollipop and marshmallow and a few are on N preview. All of those have a "do not disturb" feature built into the settings and I think most people can have it accessible on a pulldown notification shade. It allows for manual changes as well add some automatic changes (schedule) in how sounds are controlled

(Personally, I don't use that feature...still use the tasker tools/profiles that I set up long before lollipop)

Last edited:
Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones