• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do NOT install ED2 update

shadowdude777

Android Expert
Nov 8, 2009
Queens, New York
Hey guys, I bought a Charge and was unfortunate enough to have the ED2 update on it already. Don't do it. It's improvements to the media hub and a patch that blocks GingerBreak so you can't get root. Now I'm sitting here with a pathetic stock phone. Luckily, I can tether because we have the limited time free hotspot, so this will definitely get fixed before then. But just stay on ED1.

EDIT: I have confirmed that the Odin image JLoftus posted below will take you back to ED1 which CAN be rooted via GingerBreak. Woot, root! :)

Odin tar.md5 image- http://www.multiupload.com/JWDLBJO4B2
Odin executable- http://goo.gl/52aY1

You will also need Samsung drivers. Open Odin, then pull the battery on your phone, hold volume down, and plug it into the computer to put it in download mode. Pick the tar.md5 file in the PDA section of Odin (NOT the phone section!) and then hit start, let it do its thing, unplug when it's done, and you'll boot into the Android recovery. Reboot and you're back in ED1. Then root via GingerBreak and block OTAs by renaming /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip to something like /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak. Go back into the recovery by downloading Quick Boot from the Market and "Wipe cache partition" because the phone is very quick on downloading a copy of the OTA, caching it, and bothering you CONSTANTLY.

Reactions: droid-ed
Unfortunately, the guy at Costco took the honor of installing the update.

Yeah, same here. Dammit, Costco!

How do you know if its ED2? because my baseband version reads:

i510.06.ED1
SCH-I510.ED1

Then my build version reads:
SCH-I510.ED2

You have ED2. That's just proof the baseband wasn't updated in ED2 (along with everything else. Useless update that just breaks GingerBreak)

Yeah, I think I am going to return mine. Other than the display, i am un- impressed.

I may be returning mine as well, not sure. Luckily, Costco gives you 90 days. :)

Upvote 0
the way i look at it..i am impressed with everything this phone has and offers. i will not be returning mine...i have a feeling that a dev is going to come out with something crazy and it will only be available for the DC...some of my feelings are correct and some not..but im sticking with this one...its too great of a phone to just take it back.

Upvote 0
the way i look at it..i am impressed with everything this phone has and offers. i will not be returning mine...i have a feeling that a dev is going to come out with something crazy and it will only be available for the DC...some of my feelings are correct and some not..but im sticking with this one...its too great of a phone to just take it back.

Sounds good. I think it has some good qualities, just not that much of an upgrade to my dinc as compared to what should be available in the coming months. I am only on day two so I will give it another week or so, but at this point it doesn't meet MY needs.

Upvote 0
Sounds good. I think it has some good qualities, just not that much of an upgrade to my dinc as compared to what should be available in the coming months. I am only on day two so I will give it another week or so, but at this point it doesn't meet MY needs.

i feel you...you know if you are experiencing sluggishness on the homescreen you should try LauncherPro (if you don't have it) and tweak the settings and i promise you...no more sluggishness will come from your phone.;)

Upvote 0
I use Zeam. It's even more lightweight than any of the other offerings. LP is kinda bloated right now, but Fede did say he was planning to completely rewrite it.

And the reason why I'm concerned for the Charge vs the TB is that the TB has such a huge dev community and we're probably going to miss out on it. But Costco doesn't offer the TB and I want 90 day return, so no dice there.

Upvote 0
Great!

Two questions maybe you or someone can help me with now -

Even though I have disabled OTA updates, I guess I didn't do that quickly enough and the update notification appears each time I restart the phone. I'm presuming it's already DL'd it and that it's now cached somewhere waiting to be installed. Does anyone know where that might be in the file system, and what the filename would be?

Second, I am unclear how to remove the bloatware, I guess that's just a matter of deleting the folder for each app? Where are they located?

Thanks in advance for any help

Upvote 0
1) Had the same problem. I eventually figured out if you boot into recovery and Wipe cache partition, it'll get rid of it (won't affect anything else, so no worries there). You can boot into recovery by downloading Quick Boot. I don't know the hardware combination, people claim volume down on power up but that doesn't work for me, and this is a PROBLEM. Recovery is extremely important!!!

oops, that did not work. Currently trying to figure out where they're hiding the damn OTA...

2) Yes, just delete the .apk files, which are the app packages. They should be located mostly in /system/app but also check /data/app.

EDIT: Forgot to mention you can't just delete things in those folders with Astro, it can't get root privileges. You'll either need:

1) Root Explorer (paid but easiest method). Just rename the apps instead of deleting them so you can get them back if you want/need to.
2) Android Terminal Emulator (my favorite method, can be done on phone if you know Linux commands. ls lists directory contents, cd [directory] goes to that directory, rm [file] removes that file, etc). If you do this, you may want to cat [file] > [file.bak] first, which makes a copy of that file first as a backup, then rm [original file] so you're just left with [file.bak]
3) ADB (same deal as Term Emulator but typing on the computer is faster)

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I bought a Charge and was unfortunate enough to have the ED2 update on it already. Don't do it. It's improvements to the media hub and a patch that blocks GingerBreak so you can't get root. Now I'm sitting here with a pathetic stock phone. Luckily, I can tether because we have the limited time free hotspot, so this will definitely get fixed before then. But just stay on ED1.

EDIT: I have confirmed that the Odin image JLoftus posted below will take you back to ED1 which CAN be rooted via GingerBreak. Woot, root! :)

Odin tar.md5 image- http://www.multiupload.com/JWDLBJO4B2
Odin executable- http://goo.gl/52aY1

You will also need Samsung drivers. Open Odin, then pull the battery on your phone, hold volume down, and plug it into the computer to put it in download mode. Pick the tar.md5 file in the PDA section of Odin (NOT the phone section!) and then hit start, let it do its thing, unplug when it's done, and you'll boot into the Android recovery. Reboot and you're back in ED1. Then root via GingerBreak and block OTAs by renaming /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip to something like /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip.bak. Go back into the recovery by downloading Quick Boot from the Market and "Wipe cache partition" because the phone is very quick on downloading a copy of the OTA, caching it, and bothering you CONSTANTLY.

Ok so i dwnloaded both files you have posted i opened Odin, took my battery out, pressed volume dwn button, connected the phone, the phone showed a black and yellow screen saying" DOWNLOADING.... DO NOT QUIT(or stop..something like that) TARGE!!! i put the tar file in the PDA section and press start..and nothing happens...what am i doing wrong? Is there more instructions..please help. Yes the computer downloaded the samsung drives on its own...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones