• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root DO NOT use CLOCKWORK MOD or ROM MANAGER!

I don't think ROM Manager is actually working, even though it says it is.

I installed jonedys recovery just to test this. After I installed it, I used RM to install CWM recovery. Phone was detected as an Optimus C, which we all know is identical. Installed recovery just fine, but when I used RM to reboot into recovery, I still have jonedys recovery.

I just don't think ROM Manager works on our device. (The version of CWM in ROM Manager does work for our phone however. RM just doesn't seem to be flashing it properly.)

Upvote 0
I don't think ROM Manager is actually working, even though it says it is
I installed jonedys recovery just to test this. After I installed it, I used RM to install CWM recovery. Phone was detected as an Optimus C, which we all know is identical. Installed recovery just fine, but when I used RM to reboot into recovery, I still have jonedys recovery.

I just don't think ROM Manager works on our device. (The version of CWM in ROM Manager does work for our phone however. RM just doesn't seem to be flashing it properly.)
Samething happend to me I had to use flash img gui.

Upvote 0
I don't think ROM Manager is actually working, even though it says it is.

When in RM the first time you press flash recovery it only downloads it. ou have to press it again to flash it. Aslo sometimes with RM you have to hit flash a few times.

Upvote 0
When in RM the first time you press flash recovery it only downloads it. ou have to press it again to flash it. Aslo sometimes with RM you have to hit flash a few times.

I've tried it at least a dozen times with no success. Although it did unlock the features of ROM Manager, I really don't even think the "Fix Permissions" feature works even though it looks like it does.

Upvote 0
I've tried it at least a dozen times with no success. Although it did unlock the features of ROM Manager, I really don't even think the "Fix Permissions" feature works even though it looks like it does.
with another recovery install you need to use Flash Image GUI to flash CWM. Something about those others prevent RM from doing it. After CWM is installed RM will fully work! ;)

Upvote 0
with another recovery install you need to use Flash Image GUI to flash CWM. Something about those others prevent RM from doing it. After CWM is installed RM will fully work! ;)

That's the thing, if I have to flash CWM without RM, what's the point of RM?

Its supposed to make it easier to install custom recovery as well as perform extras to make our Android experience easier. It isn't working as advertised. Even on stock recovery, it wont flash CWM. Pointless.

I really feel like this thread should be re-stickied until CWM can be flashed from ANY recovery. At this point, it can't be installed at all. Makes no point to install CWM from an unknown source (not that FlashImageGUI is bad!) when RM is supposed to do that for us. Just makes no sense.

Upvote 0

Its supposed to make it easier to install custom recovery as well as perform extras to make our Android experience easier. It isn't working as advertised. Even on stock recovery, it wont flash CWM. Pointless.

I really feel like this thread should be re-stickied until CWM can be flashed from ANY recovery. At this point, it can't be installed at all. Makes no point to install CWM from an unknown source (not that FlashImageGUI is bad!) when RM is supposed to do that for us. Just makes no sense.

The original post and title is completely 100% false information. In fact its completely 100% user error and has absolutely nothing to do with the problem you are having now.Therefore will not be re-stickied. The problem you are having is with the app and or CWR not flashing, not having a problem with CWR and ROM Manager bricking your phone.

If you want to take your problem up with the developer, which he may not know about and maybe can resolve and you could help him and the community out, you can reach Koush at koush@clockworkmod.com

Upvote 0
The original post and title is completely 100% false information. In fact its completely 100% user error and has absolutely nothing to do with the problem you are having now.Therefore will not be re-stickied. The problem you are having is with the app and or CWR not flashing, not having a problem with CWR and ROM Manager bricking your phone.

If you want to take your problem up with the developer, which he may not know about and maybe can resolve and you could help him and the community out, you can reach Koush at koush@clockworkmod.com
I think what Bob was trying to say is, that some people may think that it's as easy as downloading Rom Manager and just hitting flash recovery, leaving people confused when that doesn't work. I don't think that's a user error, cause in the app details, it doesn't say anything about using FlashimageGUI and going into the CWM folder and look for recoveries and etc. Then you still have to go in Rom Manager menu and select override. So it's not that easy for some people to figure all that out, and without clear instructions it may cause people to make user errors trying to figure this out. But this is a great discussion and this might help some people that's trying to figure out this Rom Manager CWM thing. A BIG thank you to all the people that's trying to get this going on our phones. Keep up the good work! :)

Upvote 0
I think what Bob was trying to say is, that some people may think that it's as easy as downloading Rom Manager and just hitting flash recovery, leaving people confused when that doesn't work. I don't think that's a user error, cause in the app details, it doesn't say anything about using FlashimageGUI and going into the CWM folder and look for recoveries and etc. Then you still have to go in Rom Manager menu and select override. So it's not that easy for some people to figure all that out, and without clear instructions it may cause people to make user errors trying to figure this out. But this is a great discussion and this might help some people that's trying to figure out this Rom Manager CWM thing. A BIG thank you to all the people that's trying to get this going on our phones. Keep up the good work! :)

I hear ya and your right THATS not user error, But Im not sticking an entire thread thats completely false and completely user error for a problem in the post that doesnt have to do with the original post. If his phone bricked due solely to the CWR FOR the OM it'd be different. My advice is make another post and let people know, and even give them a nice guide to help them too. Knowledge is the key for the community to grow. If its a well informative post I may sticky it, depending what stickies are up because I have to keep it at a max of 5 stickies per forum but WILL put a link to it in the all things root guide sticky.

Upvote 0
I hear ya and your right THATS not user error, But Im not sticking an entire thread thats completely false and completely user error for a problem in the post that doesnt have to do with the original post. If his phone bricked due solely to the CWR FOR the OM it'd be different. My advice is make another post and let people know, and even give them a nice guide to help them too. Knowledge is the key for the community to grow. If its a well informative post I may sticky it, depending what stickies are up because I have to keep it at a max of 5 stickies per forum but WILL put a link to it in the all things root guide sticky.
Thank you my friend for your attention in this discussion, you guys make me happy to have an Optimus M. :)

Upvote 0
I get ya ShinySide. I wasn't saying really sticky just on my experiences. It was more of a general "don't use RM right now until we figure out why it isn't working" type thing.

As this is the most popular thread about not using RM, I figured it would be easier to just re sticky this thread.

But, don't sticky anything. I don't really care one way or the other.

Upvote 0

FIG is only needed if another recovery other than stock or CWM is installed as there is something in the 'other recoveries' preventing RM for flashing CWM. Wanna b1tch at someone bitch at the dev who did those recoveries.

This has been tested and it works and its as simple as it gets as far as recoveries go. Now I'm not saying some wont have issues as it never fails no matter how simple its made, but to keep a thread stickied stating do not use is just ridiculous, even the thread keeping the same title as its been proved false for 6+ months now. ;)

And theres alot more than just flashing CWM that RM does and they both work great on all the devices I use em on.

;)

Upvote 0
FIG is only needed if another recovery other than stock or CWM is installed as there is something in the 'other recoveries' preventing RM for flashing CWM. Wanna b1tch at someone bitch at the dev who did those recoveries.

Now that everyone's panties are all twisted and knotted up...

Who was bitching? All I did was post my experience and opinion. I see now that was a mistake.

Would that have been hard to state originally? Would have saved me the trouble of posting what I thought was helpful info and you the trouble of responding "in kind".

Regardless, we got there in the end. I guess.

Upvote 0
Now that everyone's panties are all twisted and knotted up...

Would that have been hard to state originally? Would have saved me the trouble of posting what I thought was helpful info and you the trouble of responding "in kind".
I been saying it ever since I got the feedback on it. ;) I just put it all in one post that time lol.

Upvote 0
Oh. So I have to go through a thread that you claim isn't relevant any longer.

Sounds reasonable. /sarcasm
Hey Bob, i think what PG is saying is, a lot of info has been discussed in this thread already. But PG, i think what Bob is saying is, It would be helpful if the clear info on how to install this was in a different thread. Then it wouldn't be a need for this thread. Because if you remember, when you introduced your CWM recovery we had to use an older version of Rom Manager. So to help people out, a thread telling how to install step by step would be helpful. I'm not saying that you have time to do something like that, but it's just an idea. Play nice guys, we need ya'll. :)

Reactions: ShinySide
Upvote 0
All I was getting at was that it did NOT work. Like I said, even from stock recovery it does not flash. I just tried it on two stock OM's. No dice.

Unfortunately I also gave my opinion. I wasn't aware that offering a suggestion such as leaving this thread stickied which (according to PG) isn't relevant yet (also according to PG) contains ALL the relevant info on RM and CWM.

But I guess.

Upvote 0
All I was getting at was that it did NOT work. Like I said, even from stock recovery it does not flash. I just tried it on two stock OM's. No dice.

Unfortunately I also gave my opinion. I wasn't aware that offering a suggestion such as leaving this thread stickied which (according to PG) isn't relevant yet (also according to PG) contains ALL the relevant info on RM and CWM.

But I guess.
press flash CWM twice, once will dl it 2nd time will flash it.

Upvote 0
Where can i find the download with flash image? Can i use it if i download the recovery off rm or is there an alternate download.
I can pull it off my wifes phone whne she gets home n upload n link on wiki. If dl'd with RM it should be the clockworkmod/download dir on the sdcard sum where.

You can get flash image from the market.

Reactions: Verneverne
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones