1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Do not use the OTA.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dark Jedi, May 12, 2011.

1. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    Just got off the phone with the tech support and he said they have been getting lots of problems with the ota's and he said to get the updates off the manufacturer's website. Now if this is true or not? I don't know.

What I do know is my phone is fubar if off the charger. They are sending a new phone so that's good. I want to see if people has a different experience getting the update through HTC and not the ota.

Like I said just wanted to share what I learned from the call I did to give others another option.

Advertisement

2. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
    Mine is working fine thus far, but I've been on wifi and only made one call. Tomorrow will be the test as I go in and out of 4g and 3g and wifi with heavy calls and texting.

Glad you are getting a new phone. Sounds like your current phone has serious issues. Jeeze.

3. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    The only problem I have with the update is I can't get a GPS lock. I thought they fixed this? I haven't had any other problems. No reboots.

4. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    Like I said its hit and miss by his words.

Funny thing is when i got my droid 1 i had a simular problem. with the 2.1 update. maybe i am cursed lol.

Funderbolt likes this.
  5. Knowitall

Knowitall Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Texas
    I saw that the OTA was available this afternoon and did the 'check new' and it found it right away (no notification on the notification bar, BTW). I let it run and didn't touch it even when it seemed it was stuck and it installed just fine. Took about 5 minutes. So far, so good.

6. redraider1

None

Mar 15, 2011
    My screen was acting up a little and this was a replacement. But i did get one reboot after doing the ota. They are sending me another because my screen came apart from the casing. This is my 3rd replacement this shit is getting old fast and if it keeps happening they better do something other then continuing to send a replacement that is faulty.

7. 97'es

97'es Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 19, 2010
    good so far... 3g signal strength seems better presently... GPS Locks slightly faster...

8. JustinHEMI

JustinHEMI Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Male
    Senior nuclear reactor operator
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Just like the phone itself, there is going to be people that have issues with the update and there is going to be people that don't have issues with the update. The title of the thread is misleading.

9. Funderbolt

Funderbolt Well-Known Member
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    engineer
    Va
    I haven't noticed any change since the upgrade.

10. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    thread title is misleading if not sure about the results. it's like yelling fire in a crowded theater when you're not sure if you even smell smoke.

ota updates always always always have hiccups here and there. i've never seen one ota on any device go perfect. there will be some people who get bricked for one reason or another and there will be many people who have no issues at all.

again, thread title is VERY misleading given the larger feedback in the other ota threads.

11. ma2_85

ma2_85 Lurker
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    my phone has randomly been restarting since I installed the update.

redraider1 likes this.
  12. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok here is what we have heard... The OTA is the same as the leak that some of us have been running. That leak has caused random reboots on some phones (I have been one of the lucky ones that it hasn't happened with), a few of the devs had nailed it down to being the new radio and not the actual software.

Someone has now learned that the reason the radio was causing the reboots was because of certain software that was running on some of the cell towers. That software was having trouble communicating with the radio. The reason for the OTA being delayed was so that VZW could get that tower software updated.

From my understanding this has happened, however there might still be some towers that they are working on. The reboots are not a hardware defect in your phone and getting a new one is not going to help. I would call VZW and talk to someone above a tier 2 tech.

magpullin likes this.
  13. mdeblaz

mdeblaz Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    This all sounds good and I hope the fix for the reboots is in fact on the tower side... but I got a random reboot this morning, in NYC where signal is not an issue. I doubt they wouldn't have fixed the issue for the New York market before pushing out the OTA...

Aside from this 1 random reboot my phone has been fine. Hopefully it never happens again.

14. Gav508

Gav508 Lurker
    None

Apr 17, 2011
    I did the IT'S yesterday and sorry that I did. I have had 4 random reboot and now my gps refuses to lock even after 5 minutes.Disappointing. should have left it alone

15. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    I have yet to update. Considering the problems I was having were very minimal, thus I don't see a reason to get it. Are there really any benefits from it if you're not having real poor GPS performance and switch 4G off in spots that you know are problematic? I'll wait for the rumored Android update, Jalape

16. rhippler

rhippler Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    The update fixed the GPS lock and Bluetooth issues I had. I was getting random reboot prior to the update so I can't say if it has had any effects on them or not. So far I am glad that I did it.

17. Brisdaddy1207

Brisdaddy1207 Lurker
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    If you get 10000 people out of 5 million having problems then its not a problem. It's ten thousand people bitching or trying to shut the phone off or playing with it well its updating.

18. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    So your saying people having problems with the update is their own fault?

19. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

Can't blame the people man, its a faulty update that has been pretty much hit or miss with a lot of people so far.

20. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    +1

21. dylo22

dylo22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    I agree the title of the thread is misleading. Just because some people are having issues doesn't mean everyone should stay away from the update. I don't having one single issue with the update. I thought my gps still couldn't get a lock, but once I rebooted it was fine. I could get a lock under 20 seconds.

22. tondraj

tondraj Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2010

Same here; no matter what I do I can't get my gps to lock. It's very frustrating, but other than that it's fine. No reboots so far.

23. Silent Thunder

Silent Thunder Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    Mine is 100% after the OTA everything working great no reboots no problems at all.

24. Puppa

Puppa Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Linux kernel development, Android & Chrome
    Raleigh, NC
    It's hard for me to compare before/after on the OTA as mine came up with the "Firmware update" pop-up soon after I purchased it. Haven't had a single random reboot, though, after applying (but didn't have any before, either).

25. makerofdrums

makerofdrums Newbie
    None

May 16, 2010
    Try GPS status in the Market. Use the Manage AGPS state tool. Did it about 2 weeks ago have been locking in very quickly now