1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root do NOT USE TouchNooter on newer NSTs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nickdalzell, Jul 30, 2013.

1. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

I am not sure if this particular NST i have now is a newer generation or not (the box art says 'the all-new NOOK' which is also shown in the welcome screen on first power-up) but using TouchNooter even on older firmware (1.0 and 1.1.0) seems to get stuck, screen never does flash to black (i waited an hour) and the device will, if you force-boot it, be soft-bricked and just repeats the loading screen. there is a clockworkmod recovery that can be booted off the SD Card that does a proper reset (the 'hold down bottom side buttons to format' method will NOT work) and updates the firmware to 1.1.0, and seems to restore the functionality. there is a root tool that uses CWM to install that does work, but is missing important tools. you can side-load something like Dropbox or ES File Explorer via the stock web browser (file:///sdcard/nameofapp.apk) then use those programs to side-load anything else. you can also forget Android Market or Google Play Store. they will NOT work. they either crash or pop up an error saying no connection (even if you are indeed online). Amazon App Store also crashes. it seems to load, then the screen blinks a bit and then you are back to the ADW Launcher screen. the only app market i tested that does work is 1Mobile Market.

Advertisement

2. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert

Yup, for every different firmware version there is a different root program. BEWARE THAT A NEW NST DOES NOT NECESSARILY COME WITH THE LATEST FIRMWARE! I bought one at Staples last Thursday and it came with 1.0.1. I used TouchNooter and am having success, though I think I'm going to restore it from a pre-root backup, update the firmware, and use NookManager instead...

So, check your firmware version on each and every NST before you attempt to root, and operate accordingly.