• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do-over: All Things Root Quicklinks (Please read the whole first post!)

Removing All Things Root Quicklinks from Home Page

• Remove whole section.

Votes: 57 29.2%
  • Remove just devices - require click through to view. (figure 3)

Votes: 55 28.2%
  • Keep it.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 43 22.1%

• Total voters
Well then it is unfair to split the vote (all be inadvertantly) of the people who want a link on the main page and not those who don't. Divide and conquer.

I personally want it to stay, but I don't especially mind what format it takes so long as it does stay.

The fairest way would have been a stay or go scenario. If it stays, then decide in what guise.

Anyway, looking at the votes, anything I say at this point is purely academic and the votes are only going to be taken into consideration when making the final decision, rather than being the deciding factor (which makes sense anyway).

At the end of the day, its Admin who have to make the decision based on what is believed to be best for the site and its upkeep. If removing the links means more focus can be placed elsewhere, then it makes sense to do it.

Upvote 0
There are three different options here, nothing can be lumped with anything.

"Lumped together" is an observation of similarity I'm making, not one of the poll schema.

Extreme analogy may help clarify what I'm meaning here (I've tried so many *sigh* :D):

Option One: Your doctor tells you that you must have both legs amputated.

Option two: Your doctor tells you that you must have one leg amputated.

Option Three: Your doctor tells you that neither leg must be amputated.

Now, let's forget all this nonsense and go dancing. :D

Reactions: DaSchmarotzer
Upvote 0
Well then it is unfair to split the vote (all be inadvertantly) of the people who want a link on the main page and not those who don't. Divide and conquer.

I personally want it to stay, but I don't especially mind what format it takes so long as it does stay.

The fairest way would have been a stay or go scenario. If it stays, then decide in what guise.

Personally, I want the clutter to go. So I'd want it all gone but I wouldn't mind a small section staying, to me these are very similar.

I'll say it one last time, the poll is completely fair and there are three whole different options. The second option is a compromise between the two others, there is no such thing as divide and conquer in this case.

The winning option is the winning option, simple as that.

"Lumped together" is an observation of similarity I'm making, not one of the poll schema.

Extreme analogy may help clarify what I'm meaning here (I've tried so many *sigh* :D):

Option One: Your doctor tells you that you must have both legs amputated.

Option two: Your doctor tells you that you must have one leg amputated.

Option Three: Your doctor tells you that neither leg must be amputated.

Now, let's forget all this nonsense and go dancing. :D

Wait, so we actually agree? :D:p

My grasp of the English language is certainly not as good as yours.

Reactions: woop
Upvote 0

The issue here is that not everyone feels that way. You may feel that way but another person voting definitely will not have the same opinion. I want it to stay too but I definitely would not want it to stay if it includes the quicklinks as they are clutter and redundant. That being said, it essentially proves that no option should be combined and whatever the outcome, so be it.

Personally, I want the clutter to go. So I'd want it all gone but I wouldn't mind a small section staying, to me these are very similar.

I'll say it one last time, the poll is completely fair and there are three whole different options. The second option is a compromise between the two others, there is no such thing as divide and conquer in this case.

The winning option is the winning option, simple as that.
Agreed.:)

Upvote 0
Do we have a link that leads to every "tips and tricks" subforum? I don't think so. How is the "All things root" different?

Well i think the root section is all together more important/busy. That being said a new user who google's 'how to root my XXX' would get a link that leads right into the root section of their phone's sub forum. And regular users either have 'favorites' set up or are already in that specific phone section and just slide right into the root section (imo of course)

Who really likes change? Of course people get used to something and don't want it to change. But if it doesn't those hot-links will just longer and longer and longer and longer........
I voted for taking away hot-links but leaving main link. The more i think about though the more i realize it would take the same amount of 'clicks' to get into root section. You either click 'all things root' then find your phones root section and click on it OR you just scroll down, find your phone, click it(maybe stop and socialize or help answer support questions) then click into root section. Either way.. 2 'clicks'.....

In light of how i'm looking at it now can i have my vote changed to remove everything?

Upvote 0
Of course, as Phases mentioned a bit ago, what stays may be invisible. ;)

Don't think thats quite what he meant. What he said was in response to the web crawler query. If EVERYTHING was removed then web crawlers would still ne able to find said sections from their url(as would users). If something is 'invisible' then its not on the home page at all is it?
Thats how i see it anyway

The second and third options are beating the first option.
The masses have spoken: "Something has to stay. Don't leave just nothing!"

*neener* :D

And really??^ Did i get sent to the children's table for this discussion??

Upvote 0
"And really??^ Did i get sent to the children's table for this discussion??" No, sorry, I can't keep you company over there, N.A. ;)

There is no reason to become mean spirited in here. We're kidding around at times, aren't we?

What I love about this whole thread is that my "2 and 3 point out that the voters want something to remain," has caused a reaction by just about every staff member here who voted for option 1; they apparently see it as me trying to get 2 and 3 to be added together. :rolleyes:

I'm merely pointing out the fact that a majority want something there. Yet they keep coming in and defending option 1 as if they feel they are going to "lose."

And then your "children's table" remark. Good Lord people, relax, Phases is probably going to remove the All Things Root links and life will go on. ;)

Upvote 0
First up, sorry if this has been previously mentioned...

Anyway, seeing as vBulletin is my forte, I figured I'd provide some input :p

Along with the aforementioned options, there is also two more I'd like to suggest.

Option A would be a collapsing submenu option. Leave it similar to how it is already (as per Fig.1), but just have it collapsed within a DIV tag, clicking a little "+" icon (or any other trigger) would expand the list. It keeps everything clean, but still entirely accessible.

Option B would involve a vB Modification, "Cyb - Sub Forum Manager". It's a brilliant modification that is designed to just clean up the listings. Sorting them into nice columns, rather than just comma separated. (here is a link to the vB.org Mod if the Admins want it)

I feel bad just randomly appearing with my near-zero posts and suggesting this as if I was a long-standing member. But I have developed a few vB sites in my time and I know what Sub Forum clutter feels like :)

Option A: Love that thought.
Option B: We use something similar to that now, as demonstrated int he development section. But, that wouldn't solve the main problem at hand - which is it's increasing length.

:)

As for the lumping/not lumping debate. There is some amount of lumping for me, yes. The second option sorta fits as a middle ground for those that want to keep it AND those that want to remove it.

The second option (or option A mentioned above) is likely what will happen.

Reactions: SUroot and Frisco
Upvote 0
me be newbie, me be new to htc, new to android, whats that, new to root,
in Aus. i am bandicoot, i eat roots and leaves,
put yourself in my space, the home page is up the shit for all newbys, STEEP learning curve to find ANYTHING, take all root of the front page of androidforums, and heavy pruning of all the other links / headings, All you old hands know where to find the stuff, forget about nit pic on 1, 2 ,3 or 4, take it all out

Reactions: teddyearp
Upvote 0
me be newbie, me be new to htc, new to android, whats that, new to root,
in Aus. i am bandicoot, i eat roots and leaves,
put yourself in my space, the home page is up the shit for all newbys, STEEP learning curve to find ANYTHING, take all root of the front page of androidforums, and heavy pruning of all the other links / headings, All you old hands know where to find the stuff, forget about nit pic on 1, 2 ,3 or 4, take it all out

Welcome to Android Forums, harieg.

Upvote 0
I went ahead and added the show/hide for the ATR subforums on the main page, as per the Option A suggestion.

Should we decide to keep the section (which is the direction it appears to be going) - I like this solution. Scrapping it would be more fun for me, but if people use it that's fine. :)

:eek:

I feel all tingly. Happy that I could be of assistance :)

Upvote 0
Can we have a "root for dummies" section, if it's truly ALL THINGS root? It can't be "all things" if it's really just specific device subforums. :) I was looking for something like that but all I saw was links to device root subforums. booo!!

I am thinking since each device needs a different(sometimes drastically) method when it comes to rooting that any 'generic' root info would be counter-productive. Too many different manufacturers, phones methods (imo, this is purely speculation on my part) for this to work.

Upvote 0
<snip>forget about nit pic on 1, 2 ,3 or 4, take it all out

+1 ^^^ this, well put, lol.

I went ahead and added the show/hide for the ATR subforums on the main page, as per the Option A suggestion.

Should we decide to keep the section (which is the direction it appears to be going) - I like this solution. Scrapping it would be more fun for me, but if people use it that's fine. :)

I did use the quick link and now see the change, but I also know about trying to maintain a website (albiet on my own tiny little scale); I doubt I'd want to try to do this one! So, I'll go ahead and vote for total removal.

I am thinking since each device needs a different(sometimes drastically) method when it comes to rooting that any 'generic' root info would be counter-productive. Too many different manufacturers, phones methods (imo, this is purely speculation on my part) for this to work.
Totally and completely +1 ^^^ this. The method to root each phone is usually VERY different and then it changes with each new update.

Upvote 0
Not methods, but rooting in general. What it is, what it does, terminology, etc.

http://androidforums.com/454655-post2.html
What is rooting and why should I do it? The pros & cons of Android rooting
Rooting Explained + Top 5 Benefits Of Rooting Your Android Phone | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

Of course... don't use any of those methods listed there as they won't work on the Epic.

If you are ok with it, I'll move your post and my post to the Epic section for further discussion. :)

Upvote 0
This is off topic, but Phases, what decision have you made about having our favorites list put inside out user CP?

That it where the shortcut to this site takes me and I start my post reading from there.

I intend on looking into how easy it would be for me to port over without having to put it on our developers list of to-do's. If I can do it I will, if not - it will be up to Rob if he wants to include it for the developer.

:)

I don't have a time table, though. Hopefully soon.

Reactions: Musky
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones