• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do the factory reset after updating to ICS!

Ridgerunner665

Mar 11, 2012
I know that idea has been thrown around on here since the OTA...but...

My phone seemed to be working fine without doing the reset, but I did it anyway (2 days after the update) and I'm glad I did...

Several little things came to life on my phone after the reset...all my apps were restored by Google, as well as my contacts and everything...no good reason not to do the reset.

It did make a difference...

I know that idea has been thrown around on here since the OTA...but...

My phone seemed to be working fine without doing the reset, but I did it anyway (2 days after the update) and I'm glad I did...

Several little things came to life on my phone after the reset...all my apps were restored by Google, as well as my contacts and everything...no good reason not to do the reset.

It did make a difference...

I found this to be the case for me as well. Did it a few days after and what a difference. Highly recommend.

Upvote 0
"Smooth"? As in it scrolls smoothly? Since doing a factory reset after ICS, the scrolling feature is somewhat jerky or hesitant. When I click on, say, apps to bring up all the apps, there is a waiting period (black screen with a "I'm working on it" icon. Lots of pages don't "pop" on the screen. I'm also getting a lot of disconnects, no service, modem bars are lower. How good (or bad) is Verizon about acknowledging problems and getting fixes sent out?

Upvote 0
My apps did NOT remain. I thought I had taken care of that before the reset by downloading a program called AirDroid. I thought it was supposed to back up your apps to another device (in my case, my laptop) and then I could transfer them back to the phone. Either I misread the description or couldn't figure out how to trasnsfer them back to the phone. Also thought Google stored them but did the AirDroid thing as a backup. I did make a list tho and ended up having to redownload them all.
Called tech support this morning. Agent was having all the same problems I mentioned. He said there will be some updates soon. Here's hoping!

Upvote 0
My apps did NOT remain. I thought I had taken care of that before the reset by downloading a program called AirDroid. I thought it was supposed to back up your apps to another device (in my case, my laptop) and then I could transfer them back to the phone. Either I misread the description or couldn't figure out how to trasnsfer them back to the phone. Also thought Google stored them but did the AirDroid thing as a backup. I did make a list tho and ended up having to redownload them all.
Called tech support this morning. Agent was having all the same problems I mentioned. He said there will be some updates soon. Here's hoping!

Go to play.google.com from a pc and then click on my android apps in the upper right. From there it will tell you what you had installed and you can remote install what you need.

Upvote 0
I also recommend a cache wipe with a factory data reset!
To wipe the cache on a droid razr that is NOT rooted:

1. Turn the phone off
2. Press and hold the power button and that vol up AND vol down keys all at the same time untill it loads into the screen where you can select "recovery"
3. Use the vol down key to highlight "recovery" then use the vol up key to select it
4. Wait for it to boot up (not pressing anything) untill you see an Android and a ! Inside of a triangle.
5. Once that screen appears, press the vol up and vol down key at the same time
6. It should load the recovery menu, press the vol down key to get down to "wipe cache" then use the power key to select it
7. When it is done, go to "reboot system now" and select it with the power key.

And thats it, no root needed

Upvote 0
Did this yesterday, and so far the only difference I notice is the contacts icon is less intuitive (a stitched-leather swatch of some sort?), and I can't find the Search Contacts program/icon I had before as a shortcut (not sure if it's part of the former OS or of an app I haven't re-installed).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones