• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do we have root?

All I can say is:

Root Explorer, Louder Volume Hack and transferring my HR Battle 3D stats to the X will be my first priority this evening....lol (I already had Root Explorer installed, just couldnt run it as root)

Thank God ppl didnt give up on the X.

And this is a good opportunity to find out how true the Motorola words were about this Blur being widgets and apps.

Hope someone can answer this for me that knows a lil about ROMs.... if its just widgets and apps, would we be able to remove Blur things more than folks running Sense UI things?

Upvote 0
i want blur off this shit.. Im so sick of opening task killer and seeing the same apps running and I havent even used them.. motorola screwed up on that one

:edit:
Im capable but i just wanna make sure I got it right.. someone youtube this please

just so you are aware, root doesn't really allow you to pull get rid of Blur, since MotoBlur is built into the operating system itself. To remove blur completely you would need to flash a vanilla version of android, which isn't possible with root alone.

You can remove some of the bloat blur apps, but even still there may be a limit to what you can remove. I'm not as familiar with Blur as I am HTC Sense but at least in the case of sense, removing some sense specific apps would crash and ruin the system, since they were heavily integrated.

Blur (I believe) is less heavily integrated so this may not be a problem

Reactions: jroc and Ryan04
Upvote 0
May I direct your attention here...

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/130116-how-root-your-droid-x.html

All credit goes to AllDroid, but I feel some of our users may not want to have to go all the way over there to get the files/guide.

Everyone enjoy your root, but be careful too :D

i`ve done this before (rooting) but im running into an issue at #7.
i simply put mine on my desktop so i point it to C:\Documents and Settings\jcj\Desktop\DroidXRoot_v2

but when i try to run #8: Run "adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk

i get "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command..."
happen to know what im doing wrong??

Upvote 0
I have sorta the same problem. My win7 32 bit will not recognize my phone being connected while debugging is active. So...no adb for me:(
For some reason i can't get windows 7 64 bit to recongnize the abd file....

I found the solution at How do I set my system path under Windows? - 1-15ZLK
c:\android\tools is where my adb.exe file was located
I also had to connect using PC Mode using the driver provided by Motorola
USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola, Inc. USA

Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
1. Right-click on the My Computer icon. (Under Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7, the My Computer Icon may be located in the start menu.)

2. Choose Properties from the context menu.

(Alternatively, you can double-click on the System icon in the Control Panel)

4. Click the Advanced tab or "Advanced system settings" on Windows Vista or Windows 7

5. Click the Environment Variables button.

6. Click on the variable called 'Path' and then click on Edit. Now add the target directory to the value of the variable, using a semi-colon as a separator.

For example, if you want to add the path to MATLAB/bin to your system, which if located at c:\matlab\bin, you would enter the following at the end of the Path:

;c:\matlab\bin
7. Restart your computer for your changes to take effect.

Attachments

• sys path.jpg
    sys path.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
ok, i`ve figured it out...now i am stuck at:

Type in password "secretlol" and press Enter then you are root! (You'll know because your prompt will now be a "#" instead of "$")

i have the #

except when i do the extra steps "Run "su" (now you should see the # sign which indicates you are root)"

i get permission denied...anyone know the problem??

Upvote 0

IMMEDIATELY after executing the next step, toggle wifi or bluetooth off and back on
Run "./exploid" and follow directions on screen. Once this completes you'll be back at a shell prompt.

does anyone know if its immediately after you hit enter after "./exploid" ??

After running "./exploid" I turned my bluetooth off then back on. I didnt get any confirmation that anything had happened so I also turn the wifi on and off. Then I continued with the list of commands. Not sure what exactly you have to turn off and on but thats what worked for me.

Upvote 0
Assuming we root now...Then Froyo comes...will we have to wait to get root access for Froyo or since we have root already, we will still have root after Froyo. And if we root and remove all the bloat, will all the bloat be installed again after Froyo?

Just wondering if rooting now is worth it?

Basically all root can do for us right now is let us get rid of the bloat and I have read that it gives us access to the wifi hot spot with out going through Verison.

Upvote 0
Assuming we root now...Then Froyo comes...will we have to wait to get root access for Froyo or since we have root already, we will still have root after Froyo. And if we root and remove all the bloat, will all the bloat be installed again after Froyo?

Just wondering if rooting now is worth it?

I believe after Froyo you will lose Root, and get all the bloatware back.

Upvote 0

Type in password "secretlol" and press Enter then you are root! (You'll know because your prompt will now be a "#" instead of "$")

i have the #

except when i do the extra steps "Run "su" (now you should see the # sign which indicates you are root)"

i get permission denied...anyone know the problem??

Make sure your screen is on when you adb shell and su

You will get a popup asking to allow it, and you must allow it before you get # again.

Reactions: aleis
Upvote 0
And hackers aren't smart enough to find a way around it? I wonder how many of them would actually be working on this. Breaking this would bring instant reputation.

I've print screened and saved your comment just in case for memories sake. :p

Spoken like somebody that has NO idea what encryption is or what the implications are.

I never doubted that somebody would get root access. But to hope that some guy working in a basement can hack 128/256bit AES ecryption (trhe current standard) is a dream of the naive. If the damn US Military cannot break AES (at least publicly) then even a consortium of the world greatest geeks will have a hell of a time. The amount of computing power needed to brute force modern encryption within this devices lifespan is not available at present.

I am happy with root.

Upvote 0
I found the solution at How do I set my system path under Windows? - 1-15ZLK
c:\android\tools is where my adb.exe file was located
I also had to connect using PC Mode using the driver provided by Motorola
USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola, Inc. USA

Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
1. Right-click on the My Computer icon. (Under Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7, the My Computer Icon may be located in the start menu.)

2. Choose Properties from the context menu.

(Alternatively, you can double-click on the System icon in the Control Panel)

4. Click the Advanced tab or "Advanced system settings" on Windows Vista or Windows 7

5. Click the Environment Variables button.

6. Click on the variable called 'Path' and then click on Edit. Now add the target directory to the value of the variable, using a semi-colon as a separator.

For example, if you want to add the path to MATLAB/bin to your system, which if located at c:\matlab\bin, you would enter the following at the end of the Path:

;c:\matlab\bin
7. Restart your computer for your changes to take effect.

I actually ended up being able to get it to work on my vista laptop:D

Upvote 0
All I can say is:

Root Explorer, Louder Volume Hack and transferring my HR Battle 3D stats to the X will be my first priority this evening....lol (I already had Root Explorer installed, just couldnt run it as root)

Thank God ppl didnt give up on the X.

And this is a good opportunity to find out how true the Motorola words were about this Blur being widgets and apps.

Hope someone can answer this for me that knows a lil about ROMs.... if its just widgets and apps, would we be able to remove Blur things more than folks running Sense UI things?

Can you expand on this? I see an apk for Louder Volume Hack floating around but it is supposedly not compatible with 2.1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones