1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Do we HAVE to "upgrade" to ICS?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by (G), Jun 30, 2012.

1. (G)

(G) Android Expert

I got the text from AT&T today and it says very specifically this upgrade won't be offered over the air.

So the question is: do I HAVE to get it? Ever?

After reading some of the posts here about slow, glitchy performance and lousy battery life, I'm really happy with my S2 just the way it is. I have no complaints.

But will AT&T force us to get it at some point?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Of course not.

3. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert

+1. I have no desire to "upgrade" to ICS. The S2 is excellent on whatever OS it came with. Good luck to the tinkerers out there

4. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

It came with Gingerbread. :)

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

No, but you lose your update path in the process. If they eventually release Jelly Bean for the i777, you will need to update to ICS first in order to get it, but as long as the phone is working the way you like, keep it on Gingerbread as long as you like.

6. imish

imish Lurker

although it is not compulsory, i would still advise if you are looking in something in ICS which you need it.

My personal exp. after upgrading to ICS is horrible:

• My all paired bluetooth device have stopped working (this is biggest issue for me)
    • My battery gets degraded, i need to recharge 3 times day to stay active ( i do not talk more than 60 mins a day)
    • User experience has been OK, to sacrifice gingerbread

After all this big high leap and hype on ICS and now Jelly bean this is becoming really tough much more getting added so many layers of softwares

Google --> Phone Manufacturer --> Cellular Service Provider --> Consumer..

7. Halofromsue

Halofromsue Newbie

I really wish I had known that I didn't "have" to upgrade to ICS, cause I wouldn't have. I would have waited in case they sent us the Jelly Bean (which I pray to God they do to fix the crap from ICS).
    If they dont, then they lost a customer come the fall time when my contract is up. I used to LOVE my G2 but after yesterdays ICS update, I now can't stand what they did to it. I just wish there was a way to go back to what I had before they updated it without all of the hassle and risk.

8. FlyingPigL

FlyingPigL Well-Known Member

I upgraded and was disappointed with battery life. At the recommendation of one of the moderators, I did a factory reset. Wow. What a difference! Phone battery lasts ask day with wifi and Bluetooth on. The phone is even faster. Keyboard is fantastic.

I recommend the upgrade plus factory reset. Highly.

kjm0317 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews