• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do we really even need an unlocked Bootloader anymore?

trophynuts

Extreme Android User
Jul 6, 2010
SouthEastern US
With the great changes that are coming with GingerBread for the X, Does anyone even really care anymore that the boot loader is locked?
I mean the roms we had/have available for the X are really good and now even stock Gingerblur is nice. So as long as we still have root i really don't see why we even need an unlocked bootloader. ....just food for thought.

With the great changes that are coming with GingerBread for the X, Does anyone even really care anymore that the boot loader is locked?
I mean the roms we had/have available for the X are really good and now even stock Gingerblur is nice. So as long as we still have root i really don't see why we even need an unlocked bootloader. ....just food for thought.

it would allow for things like cyanogen to run on our phones...and there are lots of kernel tweaks that can be made...but frankly GingerBlur is so nice that right now i don't mind...

Upvote 0
More food for thought:

We are utterly at the mercy of Motorola's decision to roll out software updates. You'll never see the next iteration of Android because the devs can't overwrite the kernel, and Moto isn't going to support this phone in another year, in all likelihood. Hell, the G1 got FroYo thanks to Cyanogenmod. Thanks to some more stability in the OS and hardware, there's a good likelihood that the X could have been even longer-lived than the G1... but it won't be, thanks to the locked bootloader.

Upvote 0
More food for thought:

We are utterly at the mercy of Motorola's decision to roll out software updates. You'll never see the next iteration of Android because the devs can't overwrite the kernel, and Moto isn't going to support this phone in another year, in all likelihood. Hell, the G1 got FroYo thanks to Cyanogenmod. Thanks to some more stability in the OS and hardware, there's a good likelihood that the X could have been even longer-lived than the G1... but it won't be, thanks to the locked bootloader.

this is VERY true and i can't believe i didn't remember to mention it...we are most likely stuck with Gingerbread based ROMS for the rest of our time with the X....there will be no way for us to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich unless Moto releases an update...

Upvote 0
With Moto's "new stance" on locked bootloaders we may yet see some life out of the Droid X. It may or may not happen but Moto could release the key to X bootloader once its reached EOL. Whishfull thinking I know but it could happen.

It's already reached EOL......March 31, 2010.......even more so now that the DX2 will be released any time now.

Upvote 0
It's already reached EOL......March 31, 2010.......even more so now that the DX2 will be released any time now.

As its still being sold from Verizon online and in stores its not reached EOL yet. Either way I was more referring to the time when Moto will not be releasing any more updates for the X and its no longer available for purchase.

Upvote 0
As its still being sold from Verizon online and in stores its not reached EOL yet. Either way I was more referring to the time when Moto will not be releasing any more updates for the X and its no longer available for purchase.

If it makes you feel better to believe that then it's ok I suppose.

And they will keep selling them if it's making them money.

Upvote 0
CM7 is nice no doubt, have it on my huawei Ascend. but the gingerblur is nice, I've liked it better than any of the roms out for the DX I've tried. Be nice to have some of the features in CM7 in it or maybe the purdy stuff from ginger blur added to CM7.

Either way no CM for the DX offically til the bootloader is unlocked.

Far as EOL, nah, not top dog no more yea thats def coming if not already here. The DX is still a big seller, once VZW starts giving them away to get new customers, then u know its day is over. Which is close, amazonwireless is selling them for $.01 now.

Upvote 0
maybe since i have never experienced a CM7 product that makes me not fully understand the hype behind it. I have always heard good things about it but really what would be the advantages of running CM7 on the DX versus running Gingerblur with bloat frozen/uninstalled?

I also agree that after the GB update and probably one more bug fix the update cycle will be over for the og DX at least official ones from VZW anyways.

Does anyone know the hardware requirements for a phone to run ICS? Is dual core a must?

Upvote 0
I also agree that after the GB update and probably one more bug fix the update cycle will be over for the og DX at least official ones from VZW anyways.

Does anyone know the hardware requirements for a phone to run ICS? Is dual core a must?

I think this is kind of the point people are making. Without an unlocked bootloader we will never see ICS on the DX unless moto/vzw release it since no one can sign a rom to be accepted by the BL. That makes hardware requirement irrelevant.

Upvote 0
I think this is kind of the point people are making. Without an unlocked bootloader we will never see ICS on the DX unless moto/vzw release it since no one can sign a rom to be accepted by the BL. That makes hardware requirement irrelevant.

actually no it doesn't. Even if the bootloader was unlocked if the hardware in the phone doesn't support the requirements for ICS then ICS would still never make it to the og DX

Upvote 0
actually no it doesn't. Even if the bootloader was unlocked if the hardware in the phone doesn't support the requirements for ICS then ICS would still never make it to the og DX

Didn't you just say the exact opposite of what I said but yet they are still essentially the same answer or is my brain really not working today? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Yea, those of us that used CM before know what some of yall are are missing. CM and probably a couple of others were real nice.

Personally, right before Froyo dropped, I went back to stock Android on my Droid 1. I just got tired of the ROM scene. I didnt do any of the ROMs for the X until Dec of last year. After getting the X and the newer ROMs that came out for the Droid 1, I never put any new ones on there until this year. I dont know, I just got bored, tired of it all.

Blur that comes with GB for the X is nice enough that I probably wouldnt do any ROMs after getting it. Take away the lock screen and dock for Sense UI and I dont really see why ppl just stick with Sense UI. I tried that buggy, beta Sense UI port for the Droid 1 and realized Sense UI is nice. I just dont like that fat dock and lock screen lock.

Sense, Blur, Touchwiz all seem to be improvements over the last versions. There might be a handful of ppl that get these newer phones that dont do the ROM thing like before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones