• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do we really need DUAL CORE?

You can always pony up a little more on the front end and go on a 1-year contract. I'll never do a 2-year contract again... technology just changes too fast.

I LOVE my Droid and am not impatient to replace it. I can wait until later in the year (or even next year) to see what's coming down the pipe. Can you imagine quad-core phones coming out at next year's CES? They're talking about it! :D

Upvote 0
Dual core is the future so in my opinion might as well wait since the launch dates aren't too far apart. Then you can decide for yourself when we actually have both single core and dual core phones to compare for ourselves.

Dual core is not a necessity now but it may be in the future to run next generation apps.

Upvote 0
You won't have apps that utilize both cores so it won't really make much of a difference now. It's kinda like the 4G scene. What apps will you use that need that much bandwidth? Surfing the web? Use your computer if you're doing something that intensive.

Dual core phone? As in the LG Optimus 2X? Tegra 2? Good bye battery life since NVIDIA won't be all about battery consumption/preservation.

Until games and apps really utilize both cores and are optimized for it, it may be best to not worry about them. Need to have the latest and greatest and have the money for it? Then by all means. But if you're worried about being locked-in for two years, a one year contract may not be a bad idea.

I would say get what you like now, whether it has DC or 4G or not, and do a one-year contract. This time, next year, we'll see a bigger emphasis on both of those, or at least the DCs. Then devs will focus on it more and make it more practical to own one.

I'm still not sold on 4G, other than the speed, for my daily applications. Considering it's $10 more a month and is capped at..2 GB? It doesn't seem to be a value right now. Wit 4G, you will blow past 2 GB in a jiffy. Even 5 GB might be possible, for me at least, to bypass on 4G. Battery becomes an issue on this too.

Upvote 0
You won't have apps that utilize both cores so it won't really make much of a difference now.

Bingo! I'm not concerned if my next phone has a dual-core processor. It's going to take at least another year before there's an appreciable amount of apps that utilize them.

It's kinda like the 4G scene. What apps will you use that need that much bandwidth? Surfing the web? Use your computer if you're doing something that intensive.

This is where I disagree with you. Browsing in 3G is a bit slow to me. I have 6Mbps at home, and 100Mbps at work. :eek: 3G, which is approx. 1.5Mbps around here, really doesn't cut it for streaming videos, or just plane ol surfing sometimes. I just HOPE that I don't have to pay more for 4G. We'll see...

Upvote 0
What I'm not understanding is that everyone seems to understand that Android is not currently optimized for dual core, but why does everyone seem to think it's that far off? What are the indicating factors?

If a single core is just as fast as a dual core is now, but won't see an upgrade once it is, what is the determining factor in your decision making to go that direction? The only one I see is jumping on the Thunderbolt b/c it's coming out soon. Otherwise it just sounds like justification of getting a device that is going to be very quickly outdated.

As I'm not that techy, if someone wants to put things in English for me, please do. I speak geek, just not fluently. :p

Upvote 0
I personally do think it's rather far off. Considering that quad-core CPUs in computers are standard nowadays and Windows is barely even optimized for 2 cores, the software takes quite a bit of time to develop after the hardware is out. Given, Windows has a much slower refresh cycle compared to Android (6 months compared to 2-3 years), but still, the software probably won't be optimized for dual-core very soon.

As awesome as hardware is, it's nothing without software to utilize it.

Upvote 0
Sounds fair, but what would a benefit be of going the single core route? From what I've heard, dual core will at least be a benefit to battery life as the phone won't have to work as hard.

I don't want to bring it down to just two phones, but I've been following the Bionic vs Thunderbolt debate pretty closely. Seems as good a comparison to make as any other. Say performance is on an equal level (which it seems fair to say, but really that's what I'm looking to smooth out), than the only factor I can see in purchasing the TB over the Bionic is that it's coming out sooner. I suppose you could lump in the locked bootloader issue which I know is major for some, but the battery life is going to be terrible on the TB.

Also, wasn't the next iteration of phone-based Android to start to utilize dual core? Like what they're trying to take from Honeycomb to fit into Ice Cream Sandwich? I see that's not the same as updating apps, but I thought the true benefit of dual core was to run apps from one but phone processes on the other.

I hope this explains how lil I know about this. lol But on the real, I think that's the true nature of this question, to examine and have us lesser tech experienced (yet still power users) brought into the know.

Upvote 0
I don't think anyone can say for sure when dual-core support will be implemented fully into Android. But until it is, dual-core will actually be detrimental to battery life because everything will only run on one core, and the second core will be using some extra battery as it sits idle. Still, I don't really know. I'm personally considering holding off on the TB in favor of the Galaxy S II. The freaking TB got delayed so much I might as well, because the Galaxy S II should be coming out soon too. But one thing's for sure, I will never buy another Motorola phone though, that's for sure. I'm not into locked bootloaders and Apple-like restriction of user power.

Upvote 0
We shouldn't need dual and quad cores on our phones, but it seems Android has become quite a hog when it comes to needing processor power. I've seen my Droid 1 go from being speedy and the best hardware to run Android to slower than molasses with each Android release. Even rooting does me no good anymore.

It's the same thing with Windows. We were fine once we hit 2Ghz processors running XP. Now Windows 7 is out and we all have to pony up for more hardware. It's all a big racket, but we all like to have the lastest things. Consumerism at its best.

Upvote 0
We shouldn't need dual and quad cores on our phones, but it seems Android has become quite a hog when it comes to needing processor power. I've seen my Droid 1 go from being speedy and the best hardware to run Android to slower than molasses with each Android release. Even rooting does me no good anymore.

It's the same thing with Windows. We were fine once we hit 2Ghz processors running XP. Now Windows 7 is out and we all have to pony up for more hardware. It's all a big racket, but we all like to have the lastest things. Consumerism at its best.
More features demand better hardware. It's as simple as that. When we want our phones to display web pages that were designed for computers, play HD video, and play 3D games, you can only expect that the hardware requirements will go up.

I'm certainly not going to sit here with my old XV6700 and say "this is all we need".

Upvote 0
More features demand better hardware. It's as simple as that. When we want our phones to display web pages that were designed for computers, play HD video, and play 3D games, you can only expect that the hardware requirements will go up.

I'm certainly not going to sit here with my old XV6700 and say "this is all we need".

Lol. XV6700?!?!?! Oh geez. Does that even have a "core"? :p

I totally agree, as apps and OS's evolve so does the hardware.
As the future unravels, most wants turn into needs eventually so the same goes with computer hardware and software.

Case in point...VCRs and Tape players....at some point we didn't need DVD players and CD players but we sure as heck wanted one. Now, DVDs and CD players are necessity (well maybe not the CD).

Upvote 0
I don't think anyone can say for sure when dual-core support will be implemented fully into Android. But until it is, dual-core will actually be detrimental to battery life because everything will only run on one core, and the second core will be using some extra battery as it sits idle. Still, I don't really know. I'm personally considering holding off on the TB in favor of the Galaxy S II. The freaking TB got delayed so much I might as well, because the Galaxy S II should be coming out soon too. But one thing's for sure, I will never buy another Motorola phone though, that's for sure. I'm not into locked bootloaders and Apple-like restriction of user power.

There was some talk in the Bionic forum that Samsung actually did lock the bootloader on the Fascinate, but it was terribly written and easily bypassed. There was even talk that HTC was looking into possibly doing this in the future. Granted, I have no idea where any of this info comes from, but there's some interesting tidbits. Here's the specific thread if it interests you: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/251570-motorola-droid-bionic-replacing-droid-x-2.html

Upvote 0
Time to push the envelope. Quad core is coming, and we're debating dual core. lol

NVIDIA Quad Core Android Tablet, Codenamed Kal-el [VIDEO] | Android Phone Fans

NVIDIA: Quad Core Tablets In August, Phones At Christmas | Android Phone Fans

There's actually a lot of good information here and a lot to be excited about. If I can surf the web that fast, I'm sold. lol
I've been saying this for awhile. I think Dual-Core will be a thing of the past by the end of the year.

Upvote 0
If a phone with a dual-core processor is available for an affordable price compared to a single-core one by the time I'm due for my final NE2 upgrade (in July), I am definitely going to opt for that option, even if the extra processing power doesn't seem like a necessity at the time. Why? Because I want a device that is going to stand the test of time and not be outdated too quickly, particularly because after our next upgrades, New Every 2 will no longer be available to us.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones