• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you care about the fingerprint scanner placement?

Of course we all had high hopes that the embedded scanner would be ready for the Note 8, but it's not. From what I've seen, though, the fingerprint scanner on the Note 8 will be to the left of the LED flash and heart rate sensor, affording it a little more distance from the camera lenses. I'm more concerned with the PRICE! $1100 for what looks to be a Galaxy S8+ with an S Pen? Either Samsung's going to have to WOW me with other features or offer me a huge discount for having gone through two Note 7 recalls
:p

Upvote 0
As far as I'm concerned if it doesn't have a removable battery it can stay in the shop! Phil
So it's mid to low end phones for you from now on? Because those are the only things left with removable batteries, and there's no sign that will change (the opposite if anything, I'm afraid).

As for the FP scanner, I can see pros and cons to all locations tried so far (front, back and side), so am pretty agnostic on this. It wouldn't take me long to adapt to any of them. I don't think the S8's off-centre placement is good, but even that I can handle without any difficulty (right-handed - it's more awkward in the left). It's worse for me on the S8+, and so probably also on the Note 8, but that's really down to the size of the phone. So I guess my conclusion is that I'd prefer it centred, but for a phone of the size I might buy it's not such a big deal.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
@Hadron Which phone had the side fingerprint scanner on it; was it on the power button or something? I only know back and front buttons phones.
Sony. In the States Sony phones don't have FP scanners (doubtless some legal nonsense), but in the rest of the world they are integrated into the power button on the side.

Upvote 0
There has been a lot of discussion about the fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy S8. It was supposed to be embedded in the display, but Samsung ran out of time. The scanner on the back has been a sore spot for a lot of people.

If the Note 8 has the same scanner as the GS8, will you be okay with that?

not even apple has been able yet to put it under glass. many tried. reason being is whole new digitized screens need to be developed first. BILLIONS DOLLARS, samsung is for profit only. i don't get why law enforcement has that for finger prints yet we don't have same technology on devices.

Upvote 0
No, because I'm not spending almost $1,000 on a device until they fix all the bugs on it first and that'll probably be the time the new series come out roughly in two years, Maybe then will I care.
only sane response ive seen to date. its sickening to see that price upwards to 1100. i got a 3000.00 laptop gaming pc for what i need. WE ARE NOT WALKING ATM MACHINES.a person needs to spend 3000 a year to keep up. my god its a phone not a car or jet or house.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
So it's mid to low end phones for you from now on? Because those are the only things left with removable batteries, and there's no sign that will change (the opposite if anything, I'm afraid).

As for the FP scanner, I can see pros and cons to all locations tried so far (front, back and side), so am pretty agnostic on this. It wouldn't take me long to adapt to any of them. I don't think the S8's off-centre placement is good, but even that I can handle without any difficulty (right-handed - it's more awkward in the left). It's worse for me on the S8+, and so probably also on the Note 8, but that's really down to the size of the phone. So I guess my conclusion is that I'd prefer it centred, but for a phone of the size I might buy it's not such a big deal.
S8 PLUS is highest end to date, and for 400 more, really. a note 8. nope.

Upvote 0
not even apple has been able yet to put it under glass. many tried. reason being is whole new digitized screens need to be developed first. BILLIONS DOLLARS, samsung is for profit only. i don't get why law enforcement has that for finger prints yet we don't have same technology on devices.

The reason is that law enforcement doesn't need to use the same screen for media consumption. Synaptics is the supplier for the embedded fingerprint sensor: the technology works and is scalable for production... the problem is that the sensor isn't completely transparent, and there is a very noticeable opacity around the home button / fingerprint scanner. Samsung couldn't very well market the phone as a multimedia powerhouse with an inconsistent display. Apparently Apple is running into the same problem. They've come a long way toward perfecting the technology: let's hope they get it right in time for the Galaxy Note 9.

:)

Upvote 0
ive an asus zenfone 3 deluxe special edition and the sensor is in a similar sapot. never had an issue with it. i saw the note8 in person and used the sensors and it was not a problem for me.

granted this is my first sammy note8 so long time note users may know better with prior note models but for me i dont see the big deal. its easy to know where the sensors was and i was not confusing it with the camera sensors or grazing the sensor with my finger.

Upvote 0
The fingerprint scanner ends up being kind of useless for me. I hold my phone in my left hand most of the time so that scanner is just entirely in the wrong place. And even if I put the phone in my right hand I still have to hold the phone in an unnatural position in order to reach it as I have small hands. So glad there are other unlock options!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones