• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you ever turn yours off?

Only when I have to.

Currently my tablet (Asus T101) has been on for 647:37:00 (roughly 27 days) without a reboot and is running just fine. My phone I just rebooted today, but that's only because I changed the boot animation. Prior to that I couldn't tell you the last time I restarted it.

No problems with performance there either.

Upvote 0
I reboot my Thunderbolt every morning because it's a Thunderbolt and is prone to wonkiness and I like to imagine it's less wonky after a reboot.

I read a article about the thunderbolt seems like it has a lot of soul for a cell phone. The user comments seemed to say people really loved there's even thought it did have tons of issues.

Upvote 0
It's recommended to restart your phone every 2-3 days to reset the ram. If you do this your phone will stay running smooth. Think of it as a computer. You can't leave it on all day everyday and expect it to maintain the same speed. These phones are basically mini computers and need to follow the same guidelines

More or less. Android is a bit better at managing RAM since it is Linux based. And Linux (or any UNIX system really) has been known to have ridiculous uptimes and still be stable. I've heard of several years without rebooting. Not to say Android is that stable and rebooting never resolves anything (quite contrary) but 2-3 days actually is pretty short for uptime.

I suppose it does vary a lot by the phone specifically, especially for rooters, since we use different kernels, ROMs, etc.

Upvote 0
More or less. Android is a bit better at managing RAM since it is Linux based. And Linux (or any UNIX system really) has been known to have ridiculous uptimes and still be stable. I've heard of several years without rebooting. Not to say Android is that stable and rebooting never resolves anything (quite contrary) but 2-3 days actually is pretty short for uptime.

I suppose it does vary a lot by the phone specifically, especially for rooters, since we use different kernels, ROMs, etc.

Yes, Unix itself is pretty stable. I have had many of my servers online for over a year.
However as with any OS (including windows) some of the apps can cause instability which is why reboots are sometimes necessary.

Java apps such as WAS, and Oracle are 2 apps that are notorious for memory leaks or not returning paging space. If the apps are not cycled and paging space gets full, you get the forked processes error and you have to reboot.

Upvote 0
While there tend to be some benefits to rebooting Android devices now and then, I typically don't do it all that often. I think I reboot my Droid Razr maybe once or twice a month. My HP Touchpad gets rebooted only when I install a new ROM onto it. And my Motorola Xoom almost never gets rebooted.

The decision on whether or not to regularly reboot your device is going to depend on the stability of your specific device... and on the apps installed on that device.

Upvote 0
I turn my Atrix 4G off every night Mon. thru Fri. Weekends its stays on all the time since I use it as my alarm clock. I have found that doing a fresh reboot, keeps it running smooth. I sometimes do a battery pull when it locks up. (Doesn't happen often, but does happen like our PC which is always running.)

Upvote 0
I used to turn my personal phone off when I start work and then turn it back on afterwards. I do not take personal calls or message while at work. After a while, I got tired of the long boot up time with my Nokia N97 and then HTC Desire Z. I discovered Airplane mode and used that for the past year or so. Since then, I don't turn my phone off at all.

My work phone is a BlackBerry and I turn it off when I leave work. It has a pretty fast start up time and does not have an airplane mode.

Upvote 0
I've had my S3 for quite a while now and have never rebooted or turned it off. My older Droid X I only did after a software update or two just to make sure it had a fresh start but otherwise never turn it off or reboot. My HTC thunderbolt I have rebooted a few times for system updates and one time to see what the serial # was of the unit (Under the battery).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones