1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Do you find monthly Android updates annoying [POS] on Nexus?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by name777, May 9, 2016.

?

Are you annoyed by monthly updates of your Android?

Poll closed May 24, 2016.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Yes, but benefits outweigh the discomfort

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. name777

name777 Newbie
    None

Jun 10, 2009
    Canada
    Sorry for the subject, but Nexus updates every month started to annoy the hell out of me. We used to experience problems and annoyances every half a year or so, most notably unexpected battery drains, but now it's like "Holy mother of ...!!!" every month. Yeah- yeah, it's all developers' fault and stuff, but do you really expect developers spend ALL their time on debugging problems that your update caused, instead of concentrating on new developments and feature?!! Google suck.

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    OK so you prefer a phone that doesn't have the capability to get regular updates and is actually more susceptible to online exploits, why did you get a Nexus?

chanchan05, mikedt and psionandy like this.
  3. psionandy

psionandy Android Expert

Dec 5, 2009
    Male
    Gizmonic Institute - mug in a yellow jumpsuit
    liverpool
    Oh the irony.....
    Still... If it is really bugging you, there are plenty of Android devices that have been forgotten by their companies. I'm sure you could trade in your device for one of those.

Or find a nice third party rom that isnt being supported anymore

mikedt, Hadron and svim like this.
  4. name777

name777 Newbie
    None

Jun 10, 2009
    Canada
    I've been on Android since G1. I love getting fresh releases of Android almost as soon as Google invents them. I could even bear with monthly updates if they only included exploits patching. But I don't like my phone acting up on monthly basis. I have wife for that.

electricpete likes this.
  5. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Frequent OS updates are part and parcel of Nexus ownership, and one of their major selling points. You don't have to accept/install the OS updates, however. You should still receive the monthly security patches as they're released separately.

mikedt, svim, psionandy and 1 other person like this.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Perhaps should get a carrier version China phone instead, like an Alcatel/TCL from Straight Talk or something. Good luck!

7. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Released separately? Never heard of that. I update my Nexus 6 every month by downloading the factory image. Throwing aside April and May (special case, multiple images due to radio's), the prior three months were only one image each month, even though both security and "other" changes were included (the other changes that I recall were performance changes). And either type of change (security or other) might reside in the system.img or in the boot.img or perhaps somewhere else. There's no way to separate security portions of a monthly update from the non-security portions of a monthly update to my knowledge.

Personally as a user I'm glad to have the option. I actually don't recall any problems as a result of updates over the course of about 5 that I installed since I got my phone. I expect when the Android N comes out there will be some hiccups due to app incompatibility or people dirty-flashing, but that goes with the territory. I imagine even if occurence of problems during monthly updates is small, it be a little trying for developers because they'll hear about it even if only 1% of their users get affected.

#7 electricpete, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    name777 likes this.
  8. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert
    None

May 20, 2013
    Male
    Director of a non profit
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    I would love to get regular monthly updates to my os

electricpete likes this.
  9. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    They don't seem to be happening monthly to me. They seem to happen less often.

10. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    If you're updating the entire firmware each month then any fixes will be incorporated, I assume. Not owning a Nexus (although the 5X still tempts me every time I play with it!) I didn't realise that updated factory images were so frequent.

I know Google make the patch code available to OEMs 'cos Sony recently updated my Z3+ with the Feb patch. My Z3 (running Sony's Concept AOSP firmware) was bang-up-to-date with the April patch until I wiped it in preparation for Android N.

Regardless, my advice still stands. If you don't want to update then don't.

11. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Timely article about the importance of updating
    http://phandroid.com/2016/05/09/the...re-slow-to-push-out-android-security-updates/

But then there's this horrible sentence:
    Hold the phone!!! Almost one billion devices affected by stagefright strain of malware???
    That would be scary :eek:
    I think they meant to say almost one billion devices have the vulnerability.

In spite of the miscue on that sentence (not sure whether it was the FCC or those reporting the story), we might take it as an indication of how the FCC views the situation (importance of prompt updates).

In Nexus, as we talked about the other updates are pushed out along with the security updates. Why do they do it that way?... I never even thought about until this thread. But I notice the update cycle on Google's other apps is pretty fast as well. And when they send out changes fast they get feedback on the (infrequent imo) problems with those changes faster. More cycles of improve/feedback/fix in shorter time allows the software to evolve to become better faster. At least I think maybe that is part of their thought process.

#11 electricpete, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  12. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    UK
    I have no issues with the monthly updates, it's not like you have to install them if you don't want to.

Myself, I always do as I like to be updated. One of the many draws to a Nexus device.

13. shalemail

shalemail Android Expert

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
    Under your bed
    I will gladly accept any update at any time. Personally I am glad Google is taking responsibility for their OS and taking care of their devices. The monthly security patches are 100% AOK to me. In fact, my N6 is the first Nexus I've ever owned and I'll never go back to a non-Nexus device. I love the true ownership of the device, the ability to modify at will and certainly the amount of stewardship that Google takes over keeping us up to the minute with the latest greatest software and security. Is it 100% perfect no, is it better than the alternative, heck yes. Speaking of, did you hear that the Verizon Motorola Droid whatever just got the marshmallow update, yea that's awesome and only 8 or more months after we had it. Hell I'll have Android N before they get a security patch. o_O

14. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    yep, good ole Verizon, always last to the watering hole.... that is, if their horse can last that long.

shalemail likes this.