1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Do You Have 4G LTE?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Vihzel, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday

Who here is excited to use their first 4G LTE phone?

I know I am from NYC! :D

I just hope it doesn't kill the battery too quickly. At least there's the extended battery available if needed.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member

I am ready here in Tampa

3. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

...glad to know that you know where your from....lol jk

yeah i'm on the bubble. I have 4G in my hometown now so that is good. But i have to wait and see what kind of Dev support this thing is going to get.

As far as the LTE killing the battery maybe you forgot that HTC didn't make this phone.

4. bigbabys

bigbabys Android Enthusiast

largo here and same :D

5. Vihzel

I'm just being cautious. I know Samsung's Droid Charge fared a lot better but this is Motorola's first 4G LTE phone. I hope they did extensive testing with the battery life and 4G, which I assume they have. It seemed like HTC didn't do anything and just wanted to get Verizon's first 4G phone on the market.

6. AurJohn

AurJohn Well-Known Member

Yes, Denver has 4G. Can't wait

7. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

Yeah i understand the cautiousness that you have. However lets remember that LTE/Battery life is probably one of the main reasons this phone has been delayed. So i really feel like they probably did their homework. We know that Pentile Qhd (good or bad) screens are better on battery life. I also believe that the TI processors are much better on battery life. Then on top of that they threw a tad bit bigger battery in it from what i can tell.

however i could be wrong and the battery suck

8. treb1797

treb1797 Extreme Android User

I have a Charge and the whole 4G uses way more battery life than 3G is just not true. I had 3G for the first 2 months and since going to 4G the battery life is the same. Others may say otherwise as we have talked about this on the Charge thread, but for me not an issue. The 4G is going to be this biggest eye opener once you guys get your Bionic's. It's amazing!!

jroc likes this.
  9. Vihzel

I'm really curious what the 4G speed is like in Manhattan. I'm sure it's slower than lower populated cities but it sure should be better than 3G here, which is surprisingly not sluggish. AT&T is a nightmare here though and all the Manhattanites know it (I've been told time and time again not to get AT&T hehe)

10. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Member

We will never get 4G at my house in the sticks. The Verizon 3G signal just reaches around our house. :cool:

11. BringItSon

BringItSon Well-Known Member

3G vs 4G in New York City: what's the difference? - YouTube

the test was done in NYC.

3G vs LTE vs 4G.

i've seen LTE going 20 mbps + in the city, but i guess it depends on what time of the day you do it and stuff.

breadnatty08, droidfan1 and Vihzel like this.
  12. thatguy188

thatguy188 Android Enthusiast

Well considering this is my 1st Android device + of course my first 4G device (and it's available here in Charleston, SC :D ) I am more than excited! :)

13. tehsusenoh

tehsusenoh Android Expert

Well, I should have 4G. I'm an hour out of Chicago.

14. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

No 4g here in MT yet. Would love to have it though. Live only ten minutes from I90 and Verizon said all areas 30 miles from interstates will have 4G by sometime in 2012. I'll believe it when I see it tho. So my interest lies not in the 4g aspect of the Bionic, but in how the phone works overall. My fear is that there could be some negatives to having a 4g phone in an only 3g area actually. I believe the Tbolt had such issues, although they may have been specific to that phone hopefully.

15. treb1797

treb1797 Extreme Android User

The 2 months I had 3G the data connection would just go out randomly for just about 30 seconds to 1 minute max, but since I've had 4G it's never happened again. So you guys could have issues if you live in 3G area, but hopefully not.

16. Travisimo

Travisimo Android Enthusiast

My area is getting LTE on 9/15, so I'll have about a week on 3G and then the boosters turn on! :D

17. dmodert66

dmodert66 Android Expert

4G lit up about a month ago in Inland Empire (Socal). That's what sealed the decision to get the Bionic (Currently using an X2)

18. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert

Myrtle Beach is the last major market in SC that does NOT have 4G. That's sooo annoying. What's worse is that our 3G is very hit or miss right now. Get the dreaded 1X far too often. I've been told it's so that they can update the old Alltel towers to the current 3G. Doesn't exactly sound kosher, but whatever. I used to have awesome 3G anywhere in MB. So I'm very much hoping to have 4G soon, to compensate.

What's funny (and perhaps sad) is that I'm going to Disney in less than two weeks. I've def been looking forward to it, but what I'm really psyched about is having the Bionic in my hands in a 4G area. I'm such a phone nerd. lol

19. dragma

dragma Well-Known Member

Denver area here.

Me and the wife have been waiting for it.

20. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Hmm, our friend lives in the Wilmington area and I know she gets good LTE coverage there. Sucks that MB doesn't. :(

Anyway, DC here and I know we have good LTE coverage around here. Still can't friggin decide on the Bionic. My damn Droid has been completely acting up lately where I can barely use the thing. And, I have all of Thursday morning off before work!! :thinking:

21. HotDawg

HotDawg Android Enthusiast

Yes, Houston here. No idea how good the coverage actually is, but according to the map I should be well covered.

22. Laxstar785

Laxstar785 Android Enthusiast

I wish i had 4G, I live in rhode island and they haven't even announced when we will have it.....making me consider going to sprint to get a photon sadly....

23. sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013 Android Expert

No 4G here in southern GA :(
    We in da woods! haha

24. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Maybe you had bad 3g in your area or other radio issues, but 4g definitely drains more battery, due to the nature of the signal and the 45nm chip that is used. No current normal way it can not drain more battery.

The Charge is better on battery than other current 4g devices, but that is mainly due to the weaker and lower powered cpu chipset and samoled display.

25. ozzzy3z

ozzzy3z Well-Known Member

Jupiter, Florida. No LTE in the foreseeable future for me. At least it gives me a reasonable excuse to be patient on my next upgrade.

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews