• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you have a coat you can spare?

With cold weather clamping down on some areas, there are many people who are lacking sufficient clothing to stay warm. If you have a gently used coat that you can spare, how about donating it? Its recipient will be warm, and you'll feel all warm and fuzzy. :D

There may be coat drives in your area; checking the web sites of your local TV/radio stations and newspapers may provide info on those. Or you can use your favorite search engine to look online.

Here are a few places I found:

Salvation Army
How to: Hold a coat drive
One Warm Coat

You can also check with your local churches for mitten trees. Quite simply, they put up a tree and you decorate it with pairs of mittens, gloves, and hats that will be distributed to children in need.
I love that idea. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
And if any of you are handy with stiching/sewing/quilting you could always use your leftover fabrics to make an ugly quilt.

ugly quilts are sleeping bags for the homeless made with random leftover scraps of clean fabric you wouldnt be using other wise.

Here's a couple relevant links and directions on how to make them.

The Boston Project Ministries - Ugly Quilts

THE SLEEPING BAG PROJECT

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I was just thinking, there are many other things that could help, too, in addition to those already mentioned in this thread: blankets, socks, sweaters, portable heaters, scarves, basically anything someone might need to stay warm.

The north face is advertising a new coat that's suppose to be really warm. But it's like $300

Upvote 0
When I used my season tickets to Giant games, there was always a coat drive day and a canned food drive day. We would always screw them up and do the reverse. Coats on canned food day, canned food on coat day. I don't know what's worse, eating my old coat or trying to stay warm with a coat made of canned food? At least we always got the toy drive right. :)

FWIW, we donate all our old clothing including coats to Donation Main Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones