1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Do you have a tip/trick for ICS? Post it here.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by VeryEvilAsh, Dec 16, 2011.

1. susst1

susst1 Newbie
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    ah easy answer download syncshortcut from Google Play...

Advertisement

2. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Tech Support
    Boston, MA
    I just discovered today that I could double-space at the end of a sentence and have it insert a period for me. Protip!

3. sich48

sich48 Lurker
    None

Apr 21, 2012
  4. sich48

sich48 Lurker
    None

Apr 21, 2012
    I meant Shortcut Creator or Shorty. Sorry

5. wrecklass

wrecklass Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    I'm a new Sprint Gnex user, and I'm loving the new phone. Just upgraded from the HTC EVO 4G (the original model).

Finished reading all 570+ posts, including the non-tips ones. Great thread, and thanks to all of you tipsters.

So rather than just saying thanks, here are some tips for folks who are coming over from the EVO like me:

Nova Launcher is tremendous. It gives you all of the wonderful tastes of the Stock ICS launcher with a few additions that Sense users will appreciate:

1) Hitting the Home button while on the main Home-Page brings up the "Preview" screen which displays a miniature version of all of the home screens. Touch one to go directly there. You can also add Home screens so you can have seven just like you did on the EVO.

2) Pinching the home screen will give you the Preview also, but this is only in the Pro version of Nova.

3) Long pressing the Home screen wallpaper will bring up a menu to install new Apps, Widgets, Shortcuts or Wallpapers. I really missed that with the stock Launcher. I thought that was included in ICS, but apparently only Wallpapers can be installed this way.

Now some tips for the Stock Gnex crowd:

With older versions of Android it was difficult to reorganize a home screen if it was full. You had to delete an icon to make room to move others around, but with ICS's folders it is a snap:

Drag one icon onto another to make a folder with the two icons inside.

Open the folder and drag the second icon back of the empty spot left by the original icon. Viola, you have swapped two icons without deleting one first.

Make a Quick Dial tool of your own like this:

Create a new Direct Dial Shortcut on your home screen, attach it to a contact number in your People list. Then create as many more as you want.

Drag the first onto the second to create a folder and give it a name like: Quick Dialer. Drag all of the shortcuts you created into this folder.

Put the folder onto your Dock and you have a quick way to call anyone you need to. Touch the folder and then touch the icon of the person you want to call.

Create one folder for your friends and another for your office mates. You can also drag and reorganize the icons to be in whatever order you find easiest to remember.

And something for those of you with Bluetooth keyboards: the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard works great with the Gnex. I'm using it now to type this. Having a nearly full sized keyboard and Cursor Keys(!) really makes a difference when you have some serious correspondence to do. I suspect other Bluetooth Keyboards work as well.

Copacetic likes this.
  6. NJSmoke

NJSmoke Member
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    New Jersey
    Magnify the sound coming out of your speaker by cupping your hand behind the device. Basically make a C with your hand and make sure the palm is behind the speaker.

Listening to music you can put the phone in a plastic cup or bowl to amplify the sound.

Leave your Wifi on to make the battery last longer, Leaving your GPS on won't effect your batter in a negative way.

7. Hyran50

Hyran50 Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2012
    go to settings-about phone-android version and keep clicking it and bunch of times. It will bring up the green Droid I'm an ice cream suit. Then click and hold it on him he will grow and explode then a fun little video.

I also learned this works for 2.3 just a different different event happens. Don't know about other versions. :)

wrecklass likes this.
  8. NJSmoke

NJSmoke Member
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    New Jersey
    With ICS 4.0.4 if there is bloatware that you want to hide you can just drop it over App information and select the disable button and it will disappear.

eristocrat likes this.
  9. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    All versions of ICS can do this, one of the big features added. :)

10. NJSmoke

NJSmoke Member
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    New Jersey
    You are right i am on 4.0.2, but it wont let you hide some apps like Google Messenger or My Verizon. But many other apps do disappear.....:pepsi: thanks

11. NJSmoke

NJSmoke Member
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    New Jersey
    By the way this is how you can use the phone's WiFi direct function.

Wi-Fi Direct on Tv Sony Bravia: Tutorial - YouTube

I am not sure if you can use WiFi direct to play game emulators on your TV as well. But one must have a TV with WiFi to start with. Some thing that I don't have at the moment.

12. viebroccoli

viebroccoli Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    Automation Intern
    Harrisburg, PA
    I beg to differ, my battery drains much quicker whenever I have GPS on. Especially when I'm using it for navigation. Although, you could say navigation and data are used for navigation.

13. NJSmoke

NJSmoke Member
    None

Dec 22, 2011
    New Jersey
    I met leaving it on in general. There is a widget called power control or something that gives you the ability to manuelly turn the Wifi, GPS, Blue tooth, Sync and brightness. Leaving on GPS, Wifi, and Sync do not effect your battery life. Because none of those features run unless an app requesting it to.

But if an app is trying to use GPS or Sync that will effect it. Then you have to adjust the app that is trying to use them.

As for the blue tooth I leave that off cause of security reasons. I remeber a number of celebs getting pictures stolen off there phone because of blue tooth but this might of changed.

14. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011

Swype has tried to grant this wish in the new beta that they released. I installed it and really like it so far :)

15. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    When used for navigation, yes, it will drain your battery down. But leaving your GPS on (when not actively in use by Navigation or other apps that use active GPS) shouldn't cause a battery drain.

16. flagasse

flagasse Lurker
    None

Jul 1, 2012
    Use zedge app for downloading live
    Wallpaper keep a corner open on home screen
    For bringing up wallpaper menu bar!

17. mhtrang

mhtrang Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    I Use ChargeBar https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tombarrasso.android.batterybar&hl=en to give me a nice quick visual to see what my current battery status is. I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to or not, but I hope it helps! It even gives you the option to keep it turned on while using full screen apps. You can adjust the thickness of the line to better suit your needs.

18. JBNex

JBNex Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    To boot into safe mode:

Hold power button until poweroff /airplane mode promo pops up

Hold Power off option

Press OK to boot into safe mode

19. tenchy

tenchy Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    UK
    My TIP Would Be NOT toUpgrade To Jelly Bean If You Like Using The Internet!

20. mogelijk

mogelijk Android Expert
    None

Jun 8, 2012
    Jellybean is great for the Internet. Swype not working properly yet on Jellybean is not Jellybean's fault, nor does it prevent people from using the Internet.

21. Copacetic

Copacetic Android Expert

Nov 17, 2011
    Coastal Carolina
    Swype works for me!

22. Caddyman

Caddyman Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Mechanical Piping Designer
    Delaware
    everything works for me on jelly bean, love it.

23. sniperfox47

sniperfox47 Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2012
    I have 3 tips.

1) On 4.1 the icecream-sandwich man is instead a jellybean android head for the version cutscene ("Settings", "About phone", triple tap "Android version"). After you double tap it you get floating jellybeans you can toss around :) <3.

2) Hold down both volume-down and power at the same time to take a screenshot

3) a security tip

If using a pattern unlock you can make it harder to guess your pattern by disabling "make pattern visible" and "Vibrate on touch". This makes it much harder for someone who does not know your password to randomly hit the right spots. If you do this though make sure to practice your pattern on the "Choose your pattern" screen before you accept it as your password.

When these two options are disabled I would argue that it is the most secure lock method relative how hard it is to remember your password. I only wish they had an option to make the pegs invisible too.

JBNex likes this.
Tags: