• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you name your electronics?

I do name my moto as Sprial Orc,

Name my p.c. - night manhattan.

Name my ps3 - metal marvelous.

LG Chocolate - Choco

Samsung Galaxy three - Leonard Powers, (Bonus points if you can guess the show that this wizard, a drunken paradoy of Homer Simpson is based off :) )

Moto Z - Leonard powers three,
(the Clone also Leo powers, due to water damage)

My SamSung T-v-. : Unknown device found.. (joke hahahah)

I kind of wonder if you do the same, or be so generic bland name...

Last edited:
No, not really. I just call them "my phone" or "my tablet" or whatever.

It's hard enough coming up with new, interesting, unusual names for pets after adopting/rescuing for 50+ years! If I had to do the same with my electronics, oh, geesh, way too much work! :D

Upvote 0
Well I set their device names so that I can identify them on my network ("Android-blahblahblah" doesn't tell me which of the several android devices in my household is which). And I do tend to make them a little playful rather than just "Hadron's Phone", e.g. my current phone is "Pixie" (Pixel 2) while its predecessor was "Obi" (HTC One - yes, I know...).

But apart from that I just refer to them as "my phone" or "this thing".

Upvote 0
I never considered hanging a name on an inanimate object. My father named all of his cars through the years. I have friends that have named their phones. I don't think it's all that uncommon to name things.. it's just not me.
My uncle named one of his cars, just one, his favorite (and mine), a Triumph TR6 which he called "Trudy." It was a beautiful red car with a black convertible top, and we'd somehow cram him, my cousin and me into it and go for these amazing drives on winding streets. I loved watching him up- and down-shift while taking curves, and how fast he could go. That car actually started my love of Triumphs. :)

Me? Nope. I'm with you @olbriar...

Upvote 0
Siri, Hey Google, Alexa, ... they all listen and have names.
Not to me they don't: I either don't own any devices with them or have disabled the software.

These hotwords all have problems though: Alexa and Siri are real names, and so cause problems for people with them (Siri is Scandinavian, so probably uncommon in the US, but these companies always claim to have a global outlook), whereas "OK Google" and "Hey Google" just sound naff ;). Though in reality Alexa is the only one of the three I've ever heard anyone address in real life: outside of ads I've literally never heard anyone talk to Assistant or Siri (apart from that time a few years back when a British Minister inadvertently activated his iPhone's voice assistant while giving a speech on Syria...).

Reactions: Dngrsone
Upvote 0
Not to me they don't: I either don't own any devices with them or have disabled the software.

These hotwords all have problems though: Alexa and Siri are real names, and so cause problems for people with them (Siri is Scandinavian, so probably uncommon in the US, but these companies always claim to have a global outlook), whereas "OK Google" and "Hey Google" just sound naff ;). Though in reality Alexa is the only one of the three I've ever heard anyone address in real life: outside of ads I've literally never heard anyone talk to Assistant or Siri (apart from that time a few years back when a British Minister inadvertently activated his iPhone's voice assistant while giving a speech on Syria...).

I refuse to have any such devices in my house. If I could have disabled OnStar on my car, I would have. As it was, I got rid of that car as fast as I could afford to.

Upvote 0
I had hopes that you would see this thread and respond being as your naming devices has been mentioned here in other threads.

This habit of mine definitely goes back to my Grandma. When we were young, she drove a beige/white 1957 Chevrolet Bel Aire that she named Snazzy (it was, too). The rear window deck featured a bobblehead Chihuahua resembling her dog Choochee.

I started naming my vehicles, but it crossed over to smartphones as soon as they came out because the assistant made them seem more than an "it". Anyone who's known me over the years here will recognize these names:

Motorola Droid - Droidette
Galaxy Nexus - Ginny
Note 3 - Gina
Note 4 - Alicia (she was a leash on my hip, so...)
Note 7 - Jeanelle (both of them, briefly)
Note 5 wasn't named because I knew it was temporary
Note 8 - Jeanette
Note 9 - Jeanine
Note 10+ - Jeanette again, because it's a good name
Z Fold 3 - Faith
(Reserved for Z Fold 4)

I really don't have names for any other tech besides *what the heck is wrong with you now, you stupid ∆/¿@√!"

:p

Upvote 0
This habit of mine definitely goes back to my Grandma. When we were young, she drove a beige/white 1957 Chevrolet Bel Aire that she named Snazzy (it was, too). The rear window deck featured a bobblehead Chihuahua resembling her dog Choochee.

I started naming my vehicles, but it crossed over to smartphones as soon as they came out because the assistant made them seem more than an "it". Anyone who's known me over the years here will recognize these names:

Motorola Droid - Droidette
Galaxy Nexus - Ginny
Note 3 - Gina
Note 4 - Alicia (she was a leash on my hip, so...)
Note 7 - Jeanelle (both of them, briefly)
Note 5 wasn't named because I knew it was temporary
Note 8 - Jeanette
Note 9 - Jeanine
Note 10+ - Jeanette again, because it's a good name
Z Fold 3 - Faith
(Reserved for Z Fold 4)

I really don't have names for any other tech besides *what the heck is wrong with you now, you stupid ∆/¿@√!"

:p
Good names altogether ya know :)
At least your wife was not too jealous :)

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones