1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Do you need a USB cable?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by abidroid, Nov 29, 2009.

1. abidroid

abidroid Newbie

Hi again

I'm used to using USB to transfer files from PC to phone so was a bit surprised when my Hero didn't come with one.

Obviously most things can be done wirelessly now, but I have lots of music files I want to transfer and my PC does not have bluetooth.

Am I missing a really obvious solution here? I use iTunes, so is there a way to just synch up the account with the Hero?

thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. afonja

afonja Well-Known Member

Hero does come with an USB cable.
    Check your charger as it is 2-in-1 charger and USB cable

3. andy d

andy d Android Enthusiast

You do need a usb cable.
    If you haven't got one how are you charging your phone ?.

4. abidroid

abidroid Newbie

Hi both - I'm charging it with a mains adapter, but it did come in two parts. It strikes me now that possibly dismantling it will turn it into a USB cable...checking now...

5. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

A tip for anyone with a spare mini-USB cable laying around... use that with the mains charger - works fine. You need the 11-pin extended mini-USB (as shipped with the Hero) for sync/file transfer so you can leave it hooked up to your PC permanently.

6. lekky

lekky Lover

:rolleyes:

Mine comes apart accidentally when I yank it!

7. ianr

ianr Android Enthusiast

You don't need the extended cable for file/sync, I don't even know where mine is any more, I just use mini-usb all the time. The extended pins carry audio signals for headsets and microphone I think.

8. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

That's useful to know, but I remember people having problems doing something with standard cables that the extended one solved..... updating the ROM maybe?

9. PaulC

PaulC Newbie

The cables that came with my heros are still wrapped in the boxes... not had any issues using a standard mini usb cable for data transfer and I've used various mini usb chargers depending where I am (htc touch charger, blackberry charger, generic mini usb charger) all work fine.

10. gotjnco

gotjnco Lurker

YOU ARE A LIFESAVER... I checked and you are absolutely right...

11. Perihelion

Perihelion Member

Ok, I need some clarification. My hero syncs and charges with no problem on the HTC supplied USB cable but when I plug in a generic mini usb cable, I can charge but not sync. For some reason, the phone says that it can't find HTC sync and HTC sync on the PC says "disconnected" regardless of what I do. Help!

12. Jaffa

Jaffa Android Expert

Use the supplied cable.... Simples

13. Bhav

Bhav Well-Known Member

Uninstall the software, reinstall and try again. It probably hasn't installed drivers correctly.

I've only used a generic mini USB cable when connecting to the PC and it's always worked fine.

Edit: re-read what you wrote. maybe your cable is faulty lol.

14. ponchuk

ponchuk Newbie

used generic usb to transfer files. Don't want to hi jack, but what about car chargers. do u need to use an htc only

15. ianr

ianr Android Enthusiast

You can use any mini-USB car charger, I have several, however some can be noisy, one or two that I did use made the phone heat up and crash on occasion, those I dumped. All the ones I've used are generic ones that plug into a car lighter socket and offer one or two USB sockets, then I just use a normal USB to USB mini cable from a camera or whatever to link it to the phone.

16. Perihelion

Perihelion Member

Success! After trying several mini USB cables, I finally found one that allowed me to mount the phone as usual and also do a sync. What a pain! For the other cables that didn't work, I've never had problems with any other devices!

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews