1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Do you need to be network unlocked to flash stock firmware?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dani31, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Dani31

Dani31 Lurker

Hi guys, just signed up as I really need a bit of help. I have a galaxy s3 network locked to tmobile (branded). I just flashed the latest firmware for tmobile s3's which is LF2. I want to flash the latest stock firmware and de-brand my phone. I've read the tutorial on what to do with odin etc and that's fine. Not too bothered about the voiding warranty as I'll probably end up rooting my phone anyway in the future.

My only concern is that does the s3 need to be network unlocked to flash the stock firmware LG8 ? I rang t-mobile uk and explained about there's no option to upgrade software in the phones settings and that samsung has put out multiple firmware updates which I'm yet to recieve due to my phone being branded. She said she can get me unlocked but it has to go through samsung which costs

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dani31

Dani31 Lurker

anyone :(? I really wanna flash it, just want to be positive my phone will work fine afterwards since it's currently sim locked. Please reply someone.

3. davoid

davoid Android Expert

You don't need to be sim unlocked to flash the latest unbranded firmware.

I don't know what settings the rep meant that wouldn't work if you flashed different firmware. Never heard of that. If she's referring to internet, you can always find APN settings online and add the settings manually if it doesn't work after flashing. If she's talking about basic phone voice connectivity - the phone will know what network you are on from reading the sim card.

She's either trying to put you off doing something they don't like by scaring you, or just looking for a way to get more money out of you.

4. samsungadvice

samsungadvice Newbie

Go to "theunlocker" website and it's about

5. Dani31

Dani31 Lurker

Thanks davoid! I was pretty sure it would be fine until she mentioned the phone won't work with tmobiles settings. I've just downloaded LG8 now. Time to get flashing then :D. I'm hoping I wont have to change the csc and start from scratch again.

And thanks, I'll check that site out.

6. davoid

davoid Android Expert

Why don't you download a copy of the firmware you currently have on the phone?

That way you can rest assured that if it doesn't work, you can restore it to how it was previously.

7. Dani31

Dani31 Lurker

oops! forgot about that. Fortunately it went fine though :). Was very fast as well. It says there's an update tho? Must be a new update again. It's nice to have the option to get updates OTA now! Many thanks.

8. Dani31

Dani31 Lurker

appears I will have to change the csc. I connected to kies and it says the device does not support software upgrading via kies. So that's definitely due to to the csc right?

Oh, there wasn't an update btw. I clicked software update and it said there wasn't any :thinking: but when my phone booted up it said software update in the notifications bar. Weird.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews