• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do you need to root the phone to do the following?

Moogle

Jun 22, 2010
I have no desire to root my desire (I'm a wimp, ok!? ;) )

However, wandering around here and asking a lot of stupid questions and getting most answered with a great deal of patience (yey!), has led me to wonder:

1) Can you get scrolling calendars other than the Sense one, without rooting? (I can't find any - I like the CalWidget big one, but it wont scroll).

2) Can you do anything to the main appearance other than change the background, without rooting? I've seen talk about the app 'OpenHome' - but on the market it's marked with low stars as buggy...

3) On 2 - can you remove the names from below the icons? Change the icons (e.g. with a theme) - without putting things into folders?

4) Can you remove options without rooting? E.g. my photo sharing (I've returned to the basic app, as gallery had a few bugs, e.g. with the camera) has 12 options to share (I had more, but I uninstalled different twitter apps and got rid of a few - I still have two facebook shares, peep and tridroid etc), which means scrolling through to find. On the gallery app, which had no scroll for sharing options, some were pushed off the screen. Is there a way to limit it just to the ones I'd use?

I think that's it on rooting... if all the above are unpossible without doing so, I'll just have to be content as is - at least I can stop searching!

1. Yep. I don't know of any other scrolling calendar widget, but there are scrolling messaging widgets (Pure Messenger). Don't need root for the feature though.

2. Absolutely. Search the market for "home replacement" or "launcher". I swear by Adw launcher and Launcher Pro. You can also try SweeterHome 2 (google it up, the version on market is outdated). There are also customizable, skinnable widgets.

3. Yes! Look up Folder organizer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones