• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you pay for your apps?

The number one reason I pay for apps instead of finding free ones that are comparable is because if I get a new phone or need to do a factory reset, I get all of those paid apps right back, as soon as I go into the market. Also, adds are annoying, they get in the way and take you away from what you are doing if you hit them accidentally. Also, people complain about not having the same apps as iPhone on Android, well, if I were a developer, I wouldn't want to develop for an OS where people try to cheat the system and get everything for free.

Upvote 0
The number one reason I pay for apps instead of finding free ones that are comparable is because if I get a new phone or need to do a factory reset, I get all of those paid apps right back, as soon as I go into the market. Also, adds are annoying, they get in the way and take you away from what you are doing if you hit them accidentally. Also, people complain about not having the same apps as iPhone on Android, well, if I were a developer, I wouldn't want to develop for an OS where people try to cheat the system and get everything for free.

I'm sorry but your telling me you buy apps so they are backed up? You DO realize there are a dozen better ways of doing that, right?

If the developer releases a free version, in addition to a paid one, how is it cheating three system for a user to instal the free one? (I'm NOT talking about a pirated copy. That is stealing). If the dev thought it was cheating for me to use the free version, why did they release it?

One important factor for me is how the dev positions the paid version. If they say something like "upgrade to the paid version to access these features" I'm less inclined to guy it than if they say "please buy the paid version to support what I do ".

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but your telling me you buy apps so they are backed up? You DO realize there are a dozen better ways of doing that, right?

If the developer releases a free version, in addition to a paid one, how is it cheating three system for a user to instal the free one? (I'm NOT talking about a pirated copy. That is stealing). If the dev thought it was cheating for me to use the free version, why did they release it?

One important factor for me is how the dev positions the paid version. If they say something like "upgrade to the paid version to access these features" I'm less inclined to guy it than if they say "please buy the paid version to support what I do ".

I am not saying that the free versions are cheating or stealing, I know that appbrain and the like will keep the apps you have listed, but I like the ease of google doing it without installing a new app. As for paying to unlock more features, I like the idea cause you "get more for your money". Some apps however, are not worth the money.

Upvote 0
If they say something like "upgrade to the paid version to access these features" I'm less inclined to guy it than if they say "please buy the paid version to support what I do ".

I work in mobile development, 90% of the apps we develop have both a free version and a paid version. (by client request)

The reason is because there are very few methods of promoting a mobile app, as apposed to a website. By releasing a limited lite version it allows so many more people to "test" the app, and then have the option to upgrade for additional features.

This is more effective in the apple app store, since all the free apps get millions of downloads, figure a small percentage will like the app or need the additional features, and they upgrade

Remember, both google and apple take 30% of any money generated even if its by your own marketing efforts!! So you really have to do everything you can to make a dollar out there.

Upvote 0
I upgraded LauncherPro, and then realized ADW is pretty nifty, too. :D Plus, with LauncherPro, my speed dial doesn't work.

As far as other purchased apps:

Better keyboard
WeatherBug Elite
Android Agenda Widget - Can't remember now why I upgraded, but there was a reason. And I use it daily when I'm running ADW.

Everything else is free, baby, free! I use Loot for my checkbook. LOVE IT! I have the free version. I'm not sure what extra the paid version does, but I'm OK with it just how it is.

Upvote 0
usually, you get what you pay for. I don't have too many apps, and the only one I've paid for is doggcatcher. If there's an app that provides functionality and the only way I can get that functionality in a quality way is paying for it, then I have no problem helping out the developer. As a programmer myself, I completely understand needing to get paid for the hours of hard work

Upvote 0
I have about 70 apps. I have paid for 5 so far. Tasker(which is not playing nice with CM6), Radiotime, Rom Manager (mainly as a support gesture. I do not use this much), Raging Thunder, and Beautiful Widgets.

I would prefer to not pay for any apps, but I like to support the good ones. I will probably be purchasing LauncherPro, Widget Locker, and SetPCU soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones