1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Do you regret buying the Droid Razr?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GalaxyNexus, Nov 12, 2011.

1. GalaxyNexus

GalaxyNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    Male
    LifeGuard, Weight Lifter
    Bikini Bottom
    I've been researching the Droid Razr and Galaxy Nexus. I've found VERY mixed reviews about the Droid Razr. Mostly about the non-removable battery and warm screen. So far I haven't found any cons about the Galaxy Nexus.

So, do you regret buying the Droid Razr?

Should I buy the Razr ($111 from Amazon), or wait for the Galaxy Nexus?

Advertisement

2. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Where Diamond Head Stay
    How can there be any negative reviews for the GNex when it isn't even out yet?

3. Arthur2142

Arthur2142 Member
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    There are certainly "Cons" to the Nexus, even if it's not out yet. I considered the Nexus, but I didn't like the lack of Gorilla Glass, no MicroSD or the lack of an HDMI port on the Nexus.

I went to Costco and picked up my Razr last night, and I have absolutely no regrets (upgrading from DX).

It all comes down to preference, and both phones appear to be pretty awesome.

jroc and GalaxyNexus like this.
  4. GalaxyNexus

None

Nov 12, 2011
    Male
    LifeGuard, Weight Lifter
    Bikini Bottom
    Actually there are reviews.:rolleyes:

5. gordongartrell

None

Aug 22, 2010
    I need to play with the Samsung Galaxy II LTE, Galaxy Nexus and RAZR more to see which phone that I really want so that we don't have any regrets.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  6. GalaxyNexus

None

Nov 12, 2011
    Male
    LifeGuard, Weight Lifter
    Bikini Bottom
    Exactly.

7. cereal killer

cereal killer Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Austin
    Did all my research before buying the RAZR. Thought over the pros and cons of owning it. I have zero regrets. Amateurs have regrets when buying tech :)

Very happy. I don't care what comes out tomorrow or next week. I'm very pleased with the RAZR. Most unique handset on the market and probably will be for some time unless somebody can build something just as thin.

8. GalaxyNexus

None

Nov 12, 2011
    Male
    LifeGuard, Weight Lifter
    Bikini Bottom
    I've seen you on the giant Galaxy Nexus thread.

So, what made you choose the Razr over the Galaxy Nexus?

9. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    This thread can't even really exist yet!

It takes two to tango! And right now we only have one!

The smartphone world has become a giant spectrum of over zealous people who expect a little too much IMO! I mean these two phones are probably the best we've ever seen as far as what they bring to the table! Razr with its unique style, and the GNex for it's software...

Either way, a winner or better phone title won't be able to exist until an actual title fight happens....lol

And even then, we'll have divided crowds from each circle screaming they're phone is better!

To answer your question short term ...

Nope...No regrets! The Razr is a pretty nice piece of hardware, and when the GNex drops I'm sure I'll say the same about it as well!

GalaxyNexus, EarlyMon and jroc like this.
  10. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    Its like this, if I had a Bionic and it was working fine I wouldnt have any regrets with the Bionic. I didnt have any regrets with my Droid X1. I wanted to upgrade from my DX1, just so happens it got beat to hell recently by a careless girlfriend.

I researched, went over the pros n cons of the device, seen the reviews, see the user reviews, issues that are being posted, posted my own issues I didnt expect to see....and I'm still not having any regrets.

Why? Cuz its working for me very well. And the issues I found out arent deal breakers for me. The ONLY thing that would make me have regrets is if battery life actually turns out to be bad, worse than I expected. And yea...its mixed reviews on that too...lol.

GalaxyNexus, EarlyMon and dmaxfan like this.
  11. motorazr

motorazr Member
    None

Nov 12, 2011
    lol this is gonna be my first smartphone... i hope the battery is enough to last me a day (my current phone is 2 yrs old LG chocolate that goes a week without charging lol)... i mainly text and call my parents (im a college student) or friends. i surf the web a little but not for more than 2+ hrs a day

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  12. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    As time goes on I suspect you'l find that the GNex is just as flawed as some believe the Droid Razr to be. Many of the negative reviews and reports written about the Droid Razr are written about pre-production devices which may, in fact, have issues.

Does the Droid Razr have a sealed battery? Absolutely! As does the iPhone.
    Does the Droid Razr have a warm screen? Absolutely! The screen can get warm under the appropriate circumstances.
    Does the screen get extremely hot? Typically not! I did 2 hours worth of calls today within about 3 hours time... my screen didn't get any warmer than normal. I also spent close to 2 hours last night playing a couple of high resolution games on the phone and it never got warmer than normal.

I noticed that someone in the big GNex thread mentioned that Razr sales were soft. I did a deep search of the Internet and have yet to find a press release from Verizon indicating that sales were soft... and, to be honest, I don't expect to see anything for several more weeks. If someone was told at a store that sales were soft... maybe they were (at that store). ;)

Is the Droid Razr the best thing since sliced bread? Absolutely not... though according to one blog site it's just a wee bit too thick to properly slice bread anyway! :p

If you want to get to know the Razr, head over to your local Verizon store and take one for a test drive. If possible find one that's not on a security leash. I suspect that the leash's or charger connections could be somehow contributing to the reported heat issues. It's 99% unlikely that they are the cause but it strikes me as odd that the phones most commonly having heat issues are the ones that are sitting on chargers all day with security leash's attached.

I don't speak for anyone but myself but I think my Droid Razr is an awesome device! It's not perfect but then again nothing is. It's still mine and I wouldn't trade it for a free GNex... although if someone wanted to give me 10 free GNex's I take that deal! I'd then turn around and sell the 10 GNex's for a tidy profit on eBay, and use some of the proceeds to purchase another Droid Razr. :D

le3car, AeroEngi, EarlyMon and 2 others like this.
  13. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    One thing you can do to help insure that the Droid Razr lasts a day is to enable Smart Actions to better manage your device for you.

And to take that one step further I was at my local Walmart this evening and noticed that they were selling, at clearance, some 1500mAh Duracell external battery packs for like $15. ;)

GalaxyNexus, MrPinstripe and jroc like this.
  14. cereal killer

None

Jul 28, 2011
    Austin
    2 words: build and aesthetics.

Nothing can come close. It's truly a marvel whether one likes it or not.

The current and upcoming crop of Android phones are some of the best around (in my opionion) I chose the most unique looking one of the bunch.

le3car and GalaxyNexus like this.
  15. cereal killer

None

Jul 28, 2011
    Austin
    Smart Actions and skip the Back-Up assistant when it prompts you. Make sure all your contacts are backed up in the cloud first though.

I get decent battery life. Nothing to complain about. Took the phone off the charger at 9 am at 4:30 I hit 20%. This is with a 2 hour phone call, phandroid, Texting, MMS, Email, YouTube all the while on 4G (no Wi-Fi today) Pretty moderate to "heavy" day. Modeavy :)

jroc likes this.
  16. budwizer

budwizer Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Working
    Absolutely no regrets in my making the purchase. I'm 6'6" and have large hands so the wider size is not an issue for me. As far as battery life goes so far I am seeing equal or better life than I was getting on my iPhone 4S. That said I am not too concerned about the battery life as long as it is decent as I have conditioned myself to always charge when possible due to the horrid life of my BB 9650 (work phone).

17. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    No regrets so far. Have had it for 5 days now.

18. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

For what its worth...im enjoying it!

However...my brother is taking bets on how long I'll keep it for...Lmaooo

19. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Android Enthusiast
    None

May 3, 2010
    NoVA
    No regrets whatsoever. Absolutely love everything about the RAZR.

I was off charger for over 12 hours yesterday (mostly on Wi-Fi) and hadn't even gotten down to 50% battery left.

No complaints about the screen - I don't know what people who complain about it are talking about.

Does it get warm? Yes. But no warmer than my Thunderbolt used to get. This is a non-issue as far as I am concerned.

Two BIG thumbs up from me. :D

EarlyMon, GalaxyNexus and jroc like this.
  20. cereal killer

None

Jul 28, 2011
    Austin
    The people complaining and commenting about heat don't own it :)

21. Xiogua

Xiogua Member
    None

Nov 3, 2011
    Alabama
    Just put it on the charger about 30 minutes ago and there was a little over 16 hours on that charge. I was surfing the web, playing a couple games, and downloading apps.

22. IDEAL41

IDEAL41 Well-Known Member
    None

May 12, 2010
    b.c.
    Do I regret it?...in a word "NO"

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  23. kschultz89

kschultz89 Newbie
    None

Nov 12, 2009

Under your name, your list of devices include a razr, and a white galaxy nexus? Where do I find this? I haven't seen a white one yet...? Just curious. Anyways, Nobody can tell you if you SHOULD buy a certain phone. You need to play with them yourself and decide which one YOU like better. Reviews can only take you so far. I could read terrible reviews about a phone, but if I decide I like it, I'm still gonna get it.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  24. deekum1627

deekum1627 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Male
    arizona
    love everything about the phone. so it gets a little warm most phones do. cant remove the battery no big deal. the battery last longer then my droid x did. everything about the razr so far i love. i was gonna wait for the nexus to but after seeing this phone i had to have it.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  25. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    And one of the best things about the RAZR that I have been hearing from people - Motorola radio quality.