• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you regret buying the Droid Razr?

It's typical human behavior. The arguments are so visceral because the consequences of being wrong are so low. The choices between the three really boil down to style and manufacturer loyalty more than anything really earth shattering.

That said, I wouldn't want to characterize everyone who likes one model over the others as a fanboy. Style alone is a legitimate reason to prefer a model.

At the two week point do I regret buying the phone? Not one bit. I'm glad I had a phone the last two weeks--I can't wait forever for the Gnex to show up. Looking at the Rezound, I can say "not for me", but that is based more on style and intangibles than anything else.

Haha I agree with you on most everything. However people who choose to flame another person's choice for no other reason except to defend and enforce their own decision, are fanbois in my opinion. Especially when they made that decision based on much the same reasoning as the other chose differently. ;)

I'm thinking I'm going to go RAZR with the caveat that I will switch if the Nexus blows me away, mostly because I'm so tired of Sense.

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
I'm renting a razr and waiting for the nexus, and the razr really is a solid phone. It's a little snappier than my evo 3d, and I love how thin it is, despite making it slightly awkward to use with one hand. The screen is disappointing though. It's nowhere near as sharp as the evo, and it's miles behind the rezound. The graininess is especially evident when recording videos. However, if it wasn't for the screen, I would definitely be keeping it instead of trading for the nexus. 19,000 kbps on 4g in my area is pretty nice too!

Upvote 0
I'm renting a razr and waiting for the nexus, and the razr really is a solid phone. It's a little snappier than my evo 3d, and I love how thin it is, despite making it slightly awkward to use with one hand. The screen is disappointing though. It's nowhere near as sharp as the evo, and it's miles behind the rezound. The graininess is especially evident when recording videos. However, if it wasn't for the screen, I would definitely be keeping it instead of trading for the nexus. 19,000 kbps on 4g in my area is pretty nice too!

Hold the phone.... how do you rent a razr? And how much did it run you?

Upvote 0
Simple answer at this point....Nope!
Really, a one word answer from you sean? This is the first time I've clicked on this thread because I saw that you had posted here. You usually have so much to say and I was curious what you were going to say, but I guess you've pretty much said it all in all of the other posts you've made in the Razr forums and "Nope" just sums it up...fair enough.

As a former Bionic user, I'll say that, for now, the only regret I have in buying the Razr is that it will be very hard for me to return it for a GNex. I had my eyes firmly set on the GNex but an unfortunate mic issue on my wife's Eris killed my chance at waiting any longer. So far my experience with the Razr has been very pleasing. I get long battery life by using only one smart action setting which turns off all data when the screen is off.

Reactions: sean76
Upvote 0
Yep and I bet a cheesy but pertinent song will come to some of their minds from Cinderella: "Don't Know What You've Got Till It's Gone". ;)

Meh I doubt it. The only complaints against the GNex thus far are cheap build and (not seeing it in the comparison photos, but time will tell) an underwhelming camera. Personally, I prefer light phones such as the ones Samsung has been putting out, for instance the Iphone really turns me off in this respect, so the build quality isn't of much concern.

ICS will have bugs, I'll grant you that, but an unlocked bootloader will trump any niggles in may have by the use of custom ROMs and kernels so that's a wash IMO.

Upvote 0
Yep and I bet a cheesy but pertinent song will come to some of their minds from Cinderella: "Don't Know What You've Got Till It's Gone". ;)

Rush I agree. I have been hem hawing on either the RAZR or Rezound for a few weeks now, but had all but decided on the RAZR for a while now. Just been waiting for some black friday deals to hit before my purchase. I doubt I will be singing that tune in my head about my DX2, however I will say it has been a solid phone overall for me. Likely the only thing I will miss is my VERY bright display from the X2. And BTW, now I've got that song stuck in my head. Thanks! ;)

Reactions: rushmore
Upvote 0
Really, a one word answer from you sean? This is the first time I've clicked on this thread because I saw that you had posted here. You usually have so much to say and I was curious what you were going to say, but I guess you've pretty much said it all in all of the other posts you've made in the Razr forums and "Nope" just sums it up...fair enough.

As a former Bionic user, I'll say that, for now, the only regret I have in buying the Razr is that it will be very hard for me to return it for a GNex. I had my eyes firmly set on the GNex but an unfortunate mic issue on my wife's Eris killed my chance at waiting any longer. So far my experience with the Razr has been very pleasing. I get long battery life by using only one smart action setting which turns off all data when the screen is off.

I gotta tell ya....I honestly really like the Razr! Not like me to really just dig one phone, and not be concerned with what's in the pipe line!

I also appreciate that fact that you appreciate my input on the topic!

There's been alot of us that have been very heavy in both the Razr and Nexus Forums....

Me, Rushmore, and Cereal killer have had alot of input about how we feel about both devices...

However funny how all 3 of us ended up with the Razr, and for the most part were all pretty happy with our decision.

So yea...I'd have to say for me, I don't regret buying the Razr at all....

Reactions: jruther2
Upvote 0
I gotta tell ya....I honestly really like the Razr! Not like me to really just dig one phone, and not be concerned with what's in the pipe line!

I also appreciate that fact that you appreciate my input on the topic!

There's been alot of us that have been very heavy in both the Razr and Nexus Forums....

Me, Rushmore, and Cereal killer have had alot of input about how we feel about both devices...

However funny how all 3 of us ended up with the Razr, and for the most part were all pretty happy with our decision.

So yea...I'd have to say for me, I don't regret buying the Razr at all....

Thanks for the reply! I've been a lurker for a looong time. I was watching the Nexus rumor thread before it made it to its final home...I don't even remember what the original name of the thread was. Since that time I have come to have a lot of respect for CK and love to see what he has to say as well as you and Rushmore.

Honestly, I'm pretty easy to please at this point. My wife and I both have been using the Eris since December '09 and I was simply blown away by the Bionic...until the Razr that is. Now I don't even like to look at that Bionic screen. I really did have a good, although short lived, experience with the Bionic and I didn't expect the Razr to be sooo much better. I still plan to give the GNex a long hard look when it comes out but its gonna have to blow me away and I'm just not sure how it can. It will probably come down to the camera, goofy reason I know but the camera is a pretty big deal to me. I've taken over 300 pics already with the Razr and I've had it for 3 days. I never had any real complaints with the Bionic camera but this one on the Razr is even better! It doesn't take long at all to focus and almost no delay in taking the picture. One thing I would like is to be able to change which camera app is launched from the lock screen as Vignette does seem to do a little better than stock but not enough for me to really sweat it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! I've been a lurker for a looong time. I was watching the Nexus rumor thread before it made it to its final home...I don't even remember what the original name of the thread was. Since that time I have come to have a lot of respect for CK and love to see what he has to say as well as you and Rushmore.

Honestly, I'm pretty easy to please at this point. My wife and I both have been using the Eris since December '09 and I was simply blown away by the Bionic...until the Razr that is. Now I don't even like to look at that Bionic screen. I really did have a good, although short lived, experience with the Bionic and I didn't expect the Razr to be sooo much better. I still plan to give the GNex a long hard look when it comes out but its gonna have to blow me away and I'm just not sure how it can. It will probably come down to the camera, goofy reason I know but the camera is a pretty big deal to me. I've taken over 300 pics already with the Razr and I've had it for 3 days. I never had any real complaints with the Bionic camera but this one on the Razr is even better! It doesn't take long at all to focus and almost no delay in taking the picture. One thing I would like is to be able to change which camera app is launched from the lock screen as Vignette does seem to do a little better than stock but not enough for me to really sweat it.

I really agree....when I got the Bionic I figured I'd be cool until we got some quad core love!

The Bionic was a good device, I liked it alot! But the delay on the shutter lag for the camera was intolerable. I, like you, take alot of pictures. And it was so annoying when snapping a pic! While the camera itself was pretty good, the delay was insane!

Any way...I'm really enjoying what I have here in the Razr and I hope you are as well!

Upvote 0
Well, today is 14 day friday for many of us. We'll sere how many bail.

For those of you still hanging on for the Gnex, how will you do the swap? Unless you got the Razr yesterday, the 2 week window isn't long enough to make December 8th.

Also saw new rumors that the Droid 4 (4g, amoled, dual core, blah blah blah) is supposed to drop on the 8th as well. I can't imagine how ticked that would make the Gnex thread crowd.

Upvote 0
I'm actually a little pissed off with this phone. I went and got a Costco memberships so I could take advantage of the 90 day exchange for the Nexus when it comes out. Problem is... I'm so jazzed with this phone I'm not sure how the Nexus could blow me away enough to jump ship. The Razr is striaght up on the same level as the Nexus. It really is that good.

Upvote 0
I'm actually a little pissed off with this phone. I went and got a Costco memberships so I could take advantage of the 90 day exchange for the Nexus when it comes out. Problem is... I'm so jazzed with this phone I'm not sure how the Nexus could blow me away enough to jump ship. The Razr is striaght up on the same level as the Nexus. It really is that good.
If it makes you feel any better, Costco usually has a really awesome bakery. So it isn't a complete waste...

Reactions: zuoken and jroc
Upvote 0
If it makes you feel any better, Costco usually has a really awesome bakery. So it isn't a complete waste...

LOL-- so true. And all those free food samples. So much for heathly eating. Maybe that's another reason to be pissed ;-)

I was planning on joining anyway-just used this as my motivation.

I will say the Costco bundle is pretty sweet too... Case, car charger, HD Dock, HDMI cable, wall charger. And a 90 day return policy- can't go wrong.

Upvote 0
Folks are talking about the nexus so I would make these comments: If the nexus has decent audio and decent antennae I think I would pick it over the razr; but these have not been samsung super strong points (i.e, the epic touch audio was not horrible but was definitely not as good as the photon; and the antennae truely sucked). I'm not making predictions with regards to the nexus I'm just pointing out unknowns.

I played with the phones yet again today (to test opera mobile) and now I'm swinging back towards the razr (from rezound). The rezound is definitely sharper (screen) but I really do like ilght/thin phones. I was chatting with the salesman who owns a rezound with the extended battery and case and it was rather thick - it does fit well in the hand but we were chatting about how to carry it and he was chatting up the belt clip he uses. The catch is that belt clips just is not my style (not saying they are good or bad; they just don't fit my life style).

Oh well still trying to decide to snag the razr or rezound on amazon 1ct sale or wait for the nexus.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I ordered my Razr from Amazon yesterday for $.01. (Yup a penny! :D) So I'm going to try it out and if I'm really not happy with it I'll try the Nex. I think both phones have some pros and cons, but I do love the form factor of the Razr. The screen might not be the best out there, but I think it's still gorgeous.
It would be nice though to get a definitive release date for the Nex though.

Upvote 0
The problem here is that if you return the phone after 14 days; you would have to pay full price for the nexus. So if the nexus is released on the 8th (big if); you have basically 1 day to do the return...
-
The way the sales guy at amazon explained it to me is that you have 14 days to decide to return the phone (cancel the contract). After 14 days amazon's 30 day policy will still allow you to return the phone; but you cannot cancel the service contract. So if you buy another phone you will no longer be paying an upgrade/new contract price; you would be paying full price.

I ordered my Razr from Amazon yesterday for $.01. (Yup a penny! :D) So I'm going to try it out and if I'm really not happy with it I'll try the Nex. I think both phones have some pros and cons, but I do love the form factor of the Razr. The screen might not be the best out there, but I think it's still gorgeous.

Upvote 0

The problem here is that if you return the phone after 14 days; you would have to pay full price for the nexus. So if the nexus is released on the 8th (big if); you have basically 1 day to do the return...
-
The way the sales guy at amazon explained it to me is that you have 14 days to decide to return the phone (cancel the contract). After 14 days amazon's 30 day policy will still allow you to return the phone; but you cannot cancel the service contract. So if you buy another phone you will no longer be paying an upgrade/new contract price; you would be paying full price.

I'm in the same boat. I emailed amazon about returns and exchanges and from what I understand, although we got the RAZR for $.01, if the price of the GNex is $300, we will have to return the RAZR and basically pay the difference of $299.99. I like the GNex but I don't know if its worth paying $300 to upgrade from the RAZR to the GNex. I would be better off doing a sell or trade on craigslist and buying the GNex from craigslist or full price from verizon or amazon.

I don't even have my RAZR yet, its set to arrive tomorrow. I'm 55% sure I'm going to try and get the GNex, but I really just have to get the RAZR in my hands to decide. At this point I'm just really getting tired of the android skins. There's always going to be a period where they are really stale in comparison to the latest android version. Also, the verizon and motorola bloatware is very annoying and although I have some experience rooting and flashing roms and whatnot, i don't want to risk bricking my phone or voiding the warranty to get rid of some crapware verizon and moto decided to put on the phone.

Oh and I went into a verizon store to try out a live version of the razr and rezound. Personally, I think the form factor of the RAZR is overrated. Yeah its thin, but its tall and has a huge bezel on the side of the screen compared to other phones. TBO I prefer the form factor and screen on the Rezound. Only bad thing about the rezound is that it's slow from being bogged down from both the higher res screen, and the sense ui.

Upvote 0
After having the Razr for a couple weeks do you regret buying it?

Yes. I should have tried the camera BEFORE I bought this phone. I used my Droid X camera all the time and loved the pix, so figured the Razr wouldn't be much different. Main problem? OMG this camera is too SLOOOWWW. It takes 15 seconds for the camera function to load before you can actually take a picture. By then your subject(s) are gone or fed up. I've disabled all background apps that might be slowing things down and tried turning off the auto-focus because someone else suggested that might help (it didn't). I figured I had 30 days to return/exchange the phone ...WRONG. It's 14 days from the date you ordered the phone, and if they don't receive it on the 14th day or earlier, Verizon can keep your phone and not return it AND not give you a refund, either.
If anyone has suggestions for speeding this phone up, PLEASE let me know.

Upvote 0
Yes. I should have tried the camera BEFORE I bought this phone. I used my Droid X camera all the time and loved the pix, so figured the Razr wouldn't be much different. Main problem? OMG this camera is too SLOOOWWW. It takes 15 seconds for the camera function to load before you can actually take a picture. By then your subject(s) are gone or fed up. I've disabled all background apps that might be slowing things down and tried turning off the auto-focus because someone else suggested that might help (it didn't). I figured I had 30 days to return/exchange the phone ...WRONG. It's 14 days from the date you ordered the phone, and if they don't receive it on the 14th day or earlier, Verizon can keep your phone and not return it AND not give you a refund, either.
If anyone has suggestions for speeding this phone up, PLEASE let me know.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...speed-app-launch-shutter-lag.html#post3570309

try that method

Upvote 0
i sent mine back. It was just to cumbersome to use. Despite being thin the width, height and being top heavy made it really awkward to use without 2 hands. I liked the overlay and responsiveness but the hardware wasn't for me. Also my screen was one of the blotchy ones. But i had 0 problems with overheating or battery and i used it constantly and had around 20 apps from amazon and 20 from android market installed.

Upvote 0
It IS awkward unless bigger hands. I have dropped my Razr twice and do not recall ever dropping my other devices while using with one hand (now, forgetting the phone is in my lap and then getting out of a car is another story- did it with Inc and D3).

Both times dropped on carpet, but still- it IS awkward to use.

Upvote 0
I've had my RAZR for almost a week now and overall I think it's a solid phone, but it's no way a better overall phone than the gnex is going to be. I think all the stories about the hot screen are rubbish. Battery life is OK for a LTE device, but definitely worse than most normal 3G smartphones which was expected anyway.

The ONLY reason I probably won't be getting the gnex is cus i got the RAZR for $.01 from amazon, so if I did an exchange, then I would basically be paying $299.99 to upgrade from the RAZR to the gnex. The gnex will be better, but not 300 dollars worth of better. My only other option would be to do a buy/sell or trade on craigslist but then I would be going without a warranty which I don't want to do.

Everything about the RAZR is just "OK"
UI: Smooth and fast but its not ics
Build: Solid but kind of wide
Screen: Deep blacks and vivid colors but low (not 720p) resolution pentile
(my screen also has those weird dark splotches visible on dark screens, WTF motorola?)
Battery life: Decent for LTE but the battery isn't removable

So basically no I don't "regret" buying the RAZR. Is it going to be better than the gnex? No. Do I want to pay $300 to switch to the gnex? No. Would I get the gnex over the RAZR if they were both the same price. ABSOLUTELY. I would sugest to anywone who is waiting for the gnex to keep waiting and get the gnex if thats what you can afford.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones