• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Do you think Android will ever support C#

falconmick

Lurker
Dec 21, 2010
I am aware (and currently am using) of Xamarin.Android. My only major concern with the system is the 15mb of baggage it brings along with the app. Is it at all possible (or maybe better to say, plausible) that android will ever natively support mono?

Potentially another solution could be a way to store libraries on the device, like .net for android which all other apps reference. Nay sayers to this might argue that it will have the same issue of .net, which is that you cannot keep releasing new versions of .net as it will mean you will have 20 different versions installed on your system thus clogging it up. But isn't that currently what mono developers are doing brining down on users mobile data an entire framework? what if 2 apps use the same partial parts of Xamarin (maybe their mono.android is different) we could shave 6mb of each install by only downloading the parts of the code which the system didn't already have.

Excuse any stupidity on my behalf. This issue with what seams like such an easy solution has been annoying me BUT I am still learning Xamarin.Android so there might be good reasons why this isn't happening which I am not yet aware of. I have tried googling it but apparently the google isn't strong with this one.

edit:
15mb according to http://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/advanced_topics/application_package_sizes/ I could be reading this wrong.
But I think (from my research so far) that there still is allot of waisted app size due to creating JIT'able code

I doubt it. Xamarin is probably your best bet. Although there might be a bit of extra overhead, there are many advantages to using it, such as being able to deploy across platforms.

My main idea I really did like at the end though.. Why not allow for parts of your app to be saved in a app cache where libraries are stored rather than re-downloading every time. Maybe use Hashing to test if the versions match

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones