• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you think Google will learn from their mistakes for the Pixel 5?

oleb84

Android Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2011
London
I was a VERY proud owner of both the Pixel XL and the Pixel 2 XL. Best phones I ever had tbh.

Then the Pixel 3 came along with a Herman Munster sized forehead and I have it a hard pass, opting for the Galaxy Note 9 instead. Not a bad phone but my God did I miss the Pixel.

So I was hyped as hell for the Pixel 4, I really was. But then it just turned out to be a bit of a dud. Battery life as a big deal for me and I expect flagship models to have top of the range specs, the Pixel 4 could've been the Pixel 3a for all I knew. So again, gave it a pass and have been toying with the idea of upgrading to the S20 Ultra. But now given the economic climate and the fact I'm earning less money I have decided to stick with the Note 9, albeit a bit rough around the edges now to say the least.

So will the Pixel 5 redeem itself? I'm itching to get back on the bandwagon but won't compromise.
I need:
*Top class battery life
*Top class camera
*Top class screen
*A finger print reader (I can't stand this face recognition stuff)
*256gb entry on storage
*RAM, I would take a lesser amount than competitors with the expectation that Google can do a better job at operating their own software to the full extent
*I like the Galaxy DEX experience, it would be nice to have something similar that works effectively

What are your hopes?

I was a VERY proud owner of both the Pixel XL and the Pixel 2 XL. Best phones I ever had tbh.

Then the Pixel 3 came along with a Herman Munster sized forehead and I have it a hard pass, opting for the Galaxy Note 9 instead. Not a bad phone but my God did I miss the Pixel.

So I was hyped as hell for the Pixel 4, I really was. But then it just turned out to be a bit of a dud. Battery life as a big deal for me and I expect flagship models to have top of the range specs, the Pixel 4 could've been the Pixel 3a for all I knew. So again, gave it a pass and have been toying with the idea of upgrading to the S20 Ultra. But now given the economic climate and the fact I'm earning less money I have decided to stick with the Note 9, albeit a bit rough around the edges now to say the least.

So will the Pixel 5 redeem itself? I'm itching to get back on the bandwagon but won't compromise.
I need:
*Top class battery life
*Top class camera
*Top class screen
*A finger print reader (I can't stand this face recognition stuff)
*256gb entry on storage
*RAM, I would take a lesser amount than competitors with the expectation that Google can do a better job at operating their own software to the full extent
*I like the Galaxy DEX experience, it would be nice to have something similar that works effectively

What are your hopes?

There is already rumors that will use a lower-end Snapdragon CPU in the 5, which would be a mistake IMO. And I'd be ok with 128 entry storage with option for more, but the 64 needs to GO. Have a clearly defined low end 4a/5a etc line, and a TRUE flagship. And for petes sake, BRING BACK THE FINGERPRINT SCANNER!

Reactions: oleb84
Upvote 0
I'm not sure it's a mistake. The 765 (or maybe 768) has a huge advantage for a 5G phone: it's a one chip solution rather than 2 like the 865, saving space, energy and cost. And it's not that much less powerful as a chip, more than good enough for almost everyone. The real problem is marketing: it is labelled "midrange" so will be dismissed by many. Frankly I'd actually rather have a 765/768 than an 865.

Besides, Google have proved that they are also-rans in the flagship area, so rather than pushing a $/£/€ 900 handset that nobody is buying why not drop the price and concentrate on the experience - and rebrand it as "Nexus" while they are at it ;).

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
waiting on this maybe....have pixel 1 which still runs fine

have played with iphone....
pros: i like the bigger screen, and for some reason the different os is a nice change (for now), battery is strong
cons: google is not truly integrated, lose my android auto (and thus screen gps and apps) car aio tweak

Upvote 0
I too hope it is good. I have a Google Pixel 2 XL right now and it is the best phone I've ever had. I previously had a Droid Turbo 2 (frustrating), Droid Maxx (awesome), Bionic 2 (awesome) and original Motorola Droid. I have a Galaxy S9 for my work phone and while I like that it has a 3.5 mm jack, and has Miracast technology, I still like my Google Pixel 2 XL better. I could ask nothing more. But it is now 2 years old, and while it works great, I have to consider what my next phone would be.

Upvote 0
Proud owner of the 1, the 2, and was deciding between the 4 or the 3a and went with the 4. No complaints other than the price tag. Love the camera, the screens great, and the battery life is plenty good enough since I work at home.

I'd prefer a fingerprint reader, and would love to have the headphone jack back, but I've learned to adapt.

Honestly, I care way less about things like storage, RAM, or having absolutely the fastest processer than I used to. If my post frequency is any indication, my phone is simply a phone. I want something silky smooth, bloat free, with blazing fast updates, and the closest I'm going to get to that is the Pixel. Frankly, it doesnt need the best parts under to hood to achieve that.

The pixel isnt the android enthusiast line that the nexus was. Its for the masses.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones