• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you turn LTE on/off?

Shel

Oct 21, 2008
Just wondering... I've noticed substantial extended battery life, when I remember to turn LTE off when I'm not going to need it.

Frankly, for MY typical type of use, making calls, sending text messages, the occasional five minutes of game play, I don't need LTE.

Now, when I want to browse the web, or download and read the news, or update my apps, I LOVE how fast LTE is!

But again, most of the time, it's simply not needed.

I REALLY wish some developer would release an app that turns OFF LTE, and only when I launch, say, the browser, or Market app, launches it!

Anyone else turn LTE off when not needed?

I have the LTE OnOff app, and when I first got the phone, I'd use it to turn it down to 3G only, except for downloading things. Now that I have the 2750 mAH battery, though, I leave 4G on. Admittedly, it seemed like going 3G-only helped preserve the battery life, but recently, I've noticed that the battery seems to drain about the same whether I keep 4G on, or go down to 3G.

Anyway, the only time I go to 3G now is when my phone starts up and won't catch the 4G signal, and defaults down to 1X. This happens about once or twice a week. Kind of annoying. It'll usually fix itself if I restart the phone, but the restart option automatically drains 15-20% of my battery, for whatever reason, so it usually just makes more sense to use the LTE OnOff app to switch to 3G-only. I was hoping the OTA would've fixed this 1X silliness, but I guess it didn't. *sigh*

Upvote 0
I know how to turn 4G off but I leave it on for reasons of convenience. I realize that 4G uses more power but I use WiFi at work and at home. So most of the time my Thunderbolt draws power like a typical phone.

I have an 8A external battery for when on the street with no opportunity to recharge with a car or wall charger.

I want the HTC 2750mA battery and have it on order with Amazon. If anyone knows a good place to get one, please start a new thread and tell us where that is.

Posted with my Thunderbolt.

Upvote 0
I have the LTE OnOff app, and when I first got the phone, I'd use it to turn it down to 3G only, except for downloading things. Now that I have the 2750 mAH battery, though, I leave 4G on. Admittedly, it seemed like going 3G-only helped preserve the battery life, but recently, I've noticed that the battery seems to drain about the same whether I keep 4G on, or go down to 3G.

Anyway, the only time I go to 3G now is when my phone starts up and won't catch the 4G signal, and defaults down to 1X. This happens about once or twice a week. Kind of annoying. It'll usually fix itself if I restart the phone, but the restart option automatically drains 15-20% of my battery, for whatever reason, so it usually just makes more sense to use the LTE OnOff app to switch to 3G-only. I was hoping the OTA would've fixed this 1X silliness, but I guess it didn't. *sigh*

The 1x situation has happened to me before but it does not happen often. I fixed it by switching to WiFi then back to 4G because I wanted the speed. Sometimes 4G is faster than WiFi. Basically then phone needs to establish the data connection.

Upvote 0
The 1x situation has happened to me before but it does not happen often. I fixed it by switching to WiFi then back to 4G because I wanted the speed. Sometimes 4G is faster than WiFi. Basically then phone needs to establish the data connection.

Yeah, it's weird, because when I get stuck on 1X, if I use the LTE OnOff app to switch to 3G-only, it picks up the 3G signal right away, but if I switch it back to the 4G option, it immediately drops back down to 1X. Sometimes if I leave it on the 3G-only option for a few hours, and then switch it back to the 4G option, it'll jump to 4G, but having to wait a few hours and then change the setting is kind of inconvenient. I never tried switching to wi-fi (as when I'm away from home, I'm not around many wi-fi networks, that I know of), but I have tried going into settings and turning "mobile network" off, waiting a little while, and then turning it back on, but it still sticks with 1X.

Upvote 0
I've yet to travel to a location where I don't have 4G coverage and I have only turned off 4G once, when there was the nationwide outage a month ago, oddly enough I got my phone when the outage was going on and everyone at VZW I spoke with said I could not activate the phone because of the outage, except the rep that sold it to me who was trying to get it to activate why trying to sell me on the iPhone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones