• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you use the physical keyboard?

Do you use the physical keyboard?

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 104 37.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 90 32.5%
  • No, I use the virtual keyboard, speech to text, or Swype

Votes: 83 30.0%

• Total voters
I've tried it many times and have decided that it might be usefull if I had little girlie fingers, but with normal human male size fingers it is worthless. I only use it when I have to fill out an online form and move between fields. It is also the only way to select text for cut and paste.

Why did they leave off predictive text on the most error prone keyboard? That doesn't make sense at all.

This keyboard is my Droid's only shortcoming.

Upvote 0
I've tried it many times and have decided that it might be usefull if I had little girlie fingers, but with normal human male size fingers it is worthless. I only use it when I have to fill out an online form and move between fields. It is also the only way to select text for cut and paste.

Why did they leave off predictive text on the most error prone keyboard? That doesn't make sense at all.

This keyboard is my Droid's only shortcoming.

I type with my thumbnails and am quite accurate. I will admit that I had an AT&T Tilt before the Droid and the transition was quite easy for me. I would think anyone moving from a Blackberry or Treo (or similar type device) would struggle at first. My wife has a Blackberry and there is no doubt that is a better typing experience than the Droid. But it is a trade off - the Droid has the big, beautiful screen.

Upvote 0
i mostly use the touch kb in landscape....but i do love having the option of opening up the physical for typo's. as mentioned before, for long emails or texts, etc., sometimes touching in the spot you need to edit doesnt work and can be cumbersome. with the d-pad, i can go directly to that spot and make my edit and be done.

not a deal-breaker, but nice to have if i wanted it.

Upvote 0
There was no "Most of the time" option, so I picked the "Sometimes" option.

I mostly use the physical keyboard unless I can only use one hand at the time. I'd prefer Swype if it didn't lock up on me so much. But I do like the way the numerical keyboard acts on the default software keyboard.

I also like how the software keyboard can be put away by swiping down. I suppose this can't work on Swype since that's the behavior to type anyways.

Basically, there isn't any one end-all-be-all keyboard for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones