• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you use your EVO instead of your ipod?

Yes. The best deal, bar none is Spotify. Basically turns my EVO into an ipod that also stores 5,000 or so songs offline if I don't have 4g service.

It is a no brainer, and will probably be the go to service everyone ditches the IPOD for within 2 years.

Difference between it and google music is that you still have to pay for GMusic when it goes live, and it is just a cloud that streams tracks you bought.

Spotify has about every record you can think of (unless you are hardcore into classic rock, then you will need to be patient for them to buy the bigger catalogs like Beatles..Zep..etc) and you don't have to buy any of them. Just pay a monthly fee.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but i bought an Ipod touch just because the music player/playback on the Evo...SUCKSSSSSSSS....the sound qulaity in comparison is terrible. The Evo is not even close to apple when it comes to this. I had an old ipod that i used in my car aux to play music before i got the evo. I thought i would get rid of it and put all the songs on my evo. Well when i listened to songs from the aux of my evo they sounded horrible. Even using ear plugs there is a noticable difference. The Evo can compare. And i dont want to hear about this app or that app or blah blah. I've tried them all and no matter what the Ipod was still better. Then i thought well maybe i need to get some quality headphones and that would make a difference. Went and got some beats by Dre and the sound is still better coming out the ipod. Sorry, but when it comes to music playback, the Ipod wins easily.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but i bought an Ipod touch just because the music player/playback on the Evo...SUCKSSSSSSSS....the sound qulaity in comparison is terrible. The Evo is not even close to apple when it comes to this. I had an old ipod that i used in my car aux to play music before i got the evo. I thought i would get rid of it and put all the songs on my evo. Well when i listened to songs from the aux of my evo they sounded horrible. Even using ear plugs there is a noticable difference. The Evo can compare. And i dont want to hear about this app or that app or blah blah. I've tried them all and no matter what the Ipod was still better. Then i thought well maybe i need to get some quality headphones and that would make a difference. Went and got some beats by Dre and the sound is still better coming out the ipod. Sorry, but when it comes to music playback, the Ipod wins easily.

thankyou i thought i was the only one that thought the music quality on the evo SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSS!! i carry a bb bold for work and it is my music player of choice..the sound quality on a blackberry is pretty suprising on par with the ipod if not better...try one.

Upvote 0
Yes. I ditched my iPod the day I got a bluetooth radio in my car. I don't see any reason to have an iPod when I have an android phone. The battery life is irrelevant because my radio also has a USB port and if I'm running low I can just plug it in. I don't make a habit of listening to music somewhere where there isn't a USB port or a wall socket for several hours at a time. Do any of you go trekking through the wilderness with your iPod because of its excellent battery life?

Furthermore, if there is a difference in audio quality then my ears are simply not trained enough to detect it. And, if I have to have trained ears to detect it then it can't be very significant in the first place, can it?

That said, I use bluetooth most of the time. The quality is obviously less over a cable because the cable I use and the radio I plug it into is pretty terrible. I'll have to try out the jack with decent headphones or something.

Upvote 0
I've used good headphones on my evo and my ipod and I find the quality to be very similar. Differences were negligible. That being said, I try to not use my evo as a primary music device when i'm out and about, if it's a long day walking or something, I'll grab the ipod. Keep my phone's battery safe for calls/texts when its needed.

Though, I don't find battery life to be as big of an issue as I used to.

Upvote 0
There is a huge difference in audio quality. I have $200 headphones, and I can absolutely hear a difference.

I even hear a difference in my car.

Id rather have 1 device for phone and music...but that, so far, has not been an HTC device.

The physical chips the manufacturer uses to convert the sound is what makes the difference. I'm sure HTC saved some money in that area. COWON sounds better than Apple, but the interface is goofy...sigh.

Upvote 0
This discussion about sound quality reminded me of this thought I had earlier today...

If you attach USB headphones to a USB A female to Micro B male adaptor, and plug it into the micro B female port that you usually use for charging, do you think it'll work?

Or will it require certain drivers?

And if it does work, do you think it'll make a difference in sound quality compared to the 3.5 mm headphone jack?

Then what exactly, in terms of quality, would be lost if you theoretically used a Female USB to Male 3.5mm headphone jack?

Upvote 0
i use a $29 iPhone headset. i like the price, sound, sleekness, and build quality. it's the only Apple product i ever bought.

also - i've been using Pandora in addition to the HTC FM Tuner App and the TuneIn App. i like live radio but i also like that Pandora has no commercials and i can nix songs/artists that i don't like and that it "remembers" that. i also like the fact that Pandora offers pre-made "stations" like "Today's Hip Hop".

Upvote 0
OK I want to apologize for this really stupid ques's but I have to ask:

1) if U are listening to music and the phone rings - what happens?

2) can I get an FM radio adapter for an Android phone that plugs into the power to charge the phone at the same time as listening to it through the stereo? (have an older deck with no USB or aux outlet)

3) Does the mp3 player on an Android phone work just as well as an Ipod?

Sorry - I am new to the entire Android/smartphone thingy.

Upvote 0
OK I want to apologize for this really stupid ques's but I have to ask:

1) if U are listening to music and the phone rings - what happens?

2) can I get an FM radio adapter for an Android phone that plugs into the power to charge the phone at the same time as listening to it through the stereo? (have an older deck with no USB or aux outlet)

3) Does the mp3 player on an Android phone work just as well as an Ipod?

Sorry - I am new to the entire Android/smartphone thingy.

1. music will automatically pause for ring/call and then resume upon end of ring/call. texts will just come through as normal.
2. i don't think so. this is why i buy HTC phones - they have a built in FM radio tuner. uses very little battery vs. streaming.
3. good enough for me but you'll have to test it and judge for yourself.

good luck.

Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

If your listening to the same 320kbps MP3, it is the same source, so a comparison can be made.

Personally, I use FLAC or AAC.

The EVO instantly makes every song sound like a 96kbps MP3 :(.

Please be in the music business and make records.

I have punked so many people in studio on "this sounds better" and I actually did nothing to the source that I find it hard to take it seriously anymore.

If you are at the point where you are seriously using FLAC, then get a dedicated player..I mean, that is 1% of the general population.

I use spotify in high quality mode, have been making records for years and the sound is just fine for casual listening. It does not have the characteristics of a 96k mp3, and I know you will know what those are.

Upvote 0
Please be in the music business and make records.
I cant, 'bandies' get upset when I don't allow them to supplement reverb for talent.

If you are at the point where you are seriously using FLAC, then get a dedicated player..I mean, that is 1% of the general population.
I used to sell large venue loudspeakers for a living (Danley, L-Acoustics, etc) so I'm very picky :D.

I'm also a sound engineer and when mixing a band, frequently I'll get 'give me a skosh more volume in my monitor,' I simply touch the mixer (doing nothing) and they reply with 'perfect.' lol.

Truthfully though, I can tell a difference, I even occasionally have blind listening tests set up for me to make sure its not in my head...and it never is.

It doesn't take an expert ear to tell the EVO sound quality is less than acceptable, it just takes someone who isn't satisfied with laptop speakers playing YouTube music videos.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones