1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

do you want to double or triple your sdcard access time????

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by dan330, Apr 4, 2011.

1. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    Increase Your SD Card Read Speeds By 100-200% With A Simple Tweak [Hands-On, Benchmarks] | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

ROOT required:

just read this.. have not tried it yet...
    with this simple file mod.. you can easily double or more the read time!!! it just needs more cache memory allocated to the file reading.

article:
    Poor SD Card performance can definitely have a negative effect on overall experience with your device, especially when considering apps that rely on speedy SD Card access, like the Gallery, or features, like Apps2SD.XDA forum member brainmaster has been hard at work on tweaking some settings in Android to improve the situation in this very department. By adjusting a certain SD card cache value, he, along with many others on xda who tried this out, were able to significantly improve read speeds, usually at least doubling or tripling them, and in certain cases going even higher.
    I thought it was a pretty interesting concept, so I decided to give it a run on my OG Moto Droid and outline my results here. It is worth noting that this process only focuses on the read speed of the SD Card and has no effect whatsoever on the write speed.
    You must have root access with write permissions to /sys in order to modify any of the following values.

The basic idea behind this fix is to modify the amount of available read-ahead cache for reading SD Card data. By default, most ROMs will have anywhere from 4KB (for example, on the EVO 4G running Fresh) up to 128KB set aside for this task. In order to find the cache size on your device, fire up Root Explorer and navigate to:
    /sys/devices/virtual/bdi/179:0/read_ahead_kb
    If you plan on running this test yourself, you can simply modify the value in this file, save, and test away. However, know that upon reboot, it will return to default unless you make it permanent (more on that later).
    I am currently running Project Elite 4.2 (Froyo base), which provides 128KB of cache by default. For the initial test, I did not make any modification to the cache value. I ran the test three times at the stock value and each of the modified values to ensure proper readings.
    To run these tests, I am using an app called SD Tools which you can grab for free in the Android Market.
    First Run: 128KB

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As you can see, my card is quite slow, with the highest read speed at a mere 5.5 MB/s. The lowest was 5.4 MB/s, making the average speed 5.43 MB/s.
    For the next run, I have modified the value to 1024KB and will increase by 1024KB for each subsequent test.​
    Second Run: 1024KB

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The average speed for this run comes out to 7.8 MB/s which is an average speed increase of +2.37 MB/s. That​

Advertisement