• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you worry about your memory?

vr6dubbin

Dec 10, 2009
I notice in a lot of screen shots that many Droid users out there keep their home pages covered in ongoing widgets! I know these can take a toll on memory. I'm just curious as to how many people trust the Droid so much that they never bother looking at how much memory they are using. Honestly, I envy anyone like that because I am extremely paranoid about this. I HAVE to see how much memory I am using... at all times :eek:

And another thing, how exactly do you interpret the memory usage for this phone..? Since buying it all I have done is watch the numbers go up or down after ending services, but it constantly changes so... What is the difference between Available memory and Other memory? For example... when it says Avail: 15 + 70 in 5... what in the world does that mean?

The os will start killing background apps as needed to take care of things you are doing presently (or so I've read). Either way, I run a system monitor with the amount of available ram showing in my notification bar, and it hovers around 40 it seems, and I'm definitely one of those "tons of widgets" guys.

I'm more worried about my memory because the searches work well, and I can look up info I would have retained in the past.

Upvote 0
The Droid will give you a notification when you are running low on internal memory. Having widgets and over 150 Apps, I get notified when I start to add more. I have more apps than I need but have them to play with for a while and when I get too many I erase a few older ones after I back them up on the SD. Does not hurt anything if you max out. It is not like it is going to slowdown or stop working.
Free space is like having a 4 bedroom house and never using one room at all, a waste of good space.

Upvote 0
The os will start killing background apps as needed to take care of things you are doing presently (or so I've read). Either way, I run a system monitor with the amount of available ram showing in my notification bar, and it hovers around 40 it seems, and I'm definitely one of those "tons of widgets" guys.

I'm more worried about my memory because the searches work well, and I can look up info I would have retained in the past.

Sounds like a cool tool. What app do you use that lets you put the mem usage in the notification bar?

Upvote 0
I have an Archos 5 running Android and it doesnt manage memory very well. Task killer apps are a necessity, so much so Archos included one in their latest firmware update. Having used the Droid for a few weeks now I can say that on the Droid, it is just not needed. The Droid seems much better behaved and despite opening and closing multiple apps it keeps on ticking. I occasionally get some weirdness (like a folder wont want to open) so I power off and back on again, and that seems to keep the Droid happy.

Upvote 0
Here is my take on this, it is only my opinion from what I have experienced so take it for what it is worth... When I first got my Droid (about 3 months ago) I was a fanatic task killer, I obsessed over it. So much so that I got an app that auto killed tasks when I would lock the phone.

After reading up on a bunch of posts here, and learning how the Droid and Linux work. I removed all of the task killers I had except for one.

I have noticed that my phone seems to run faster and I have no problems. The only time I actually use my task killer is when SweeterHome gets laggy, I have found that if you kill SweeterHome and relaunch it the lag goes away.

So yea I know where you are coming from with obsessing over Mem... It takes some time to get over it but once you do it will be smooth sailing :)

Upvote 0
after loading and unloading dozens and dozens and dozens of apps I realized they are small and so the 256 will work for now. lame limit, but I have like 30+ apps loaded and have 180mb free of 256. So, it is good I suppose so I stopped worrying about it.

BUT I do use the a Task Killer all the time to kill off apps running that just load up and run so it limits any background pull.

Upvote 0
i have had my droid for about 3 weeks and at first i had a task killer open every few minutes killing stuff and freaking out about memory. Now i flashed with the cyan mod and i dont use the TK anymore i run crazy amounts of stuff and its fine its overclocked to 800mhz and i catch lag very rarely when downloading like 7 apps at once or something its not a big deal you shouldnt be worried.

Upvote 0
I use the Logcat live wallpaper, which basically lets me read my logcat in real time. I frequently see "GC freed up x objects/ y bytes". Basically, Android's always working to kill off whatever isn't necessary by itself. The only time you'll ever need a task killer is to kill a malfunctioning app; keep it around for that and just stop worrying about your memory! Android does that for you.

Upvote 0
Nah, I left Google Earth on my Droid yet still keep loading and running things.

Personally, I worry about my memory failing and that is why I have the Droid to remind me of the important stuff... Like wearing pants...

Well if you're not wearing pants, you quickly realize that your normal place for your Droid (hopefully...) is missing. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones