• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dock Clock WITH status bar

ritchie888

Lurker
Jun 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

Looking for a recommendation or some tip/trick for my situation.

I have a Galaxy Nexus, along with the Samsung desktop dock. I intend to use it at work, for on my desk, so it can charge, look pretty, and show me (in the status bar) when I have a new notification.

As standard, as soon as you plug in your phone, the clock app loads, which is fine, looks good, and most importantly, the status bar stays at the top so I can see notifications. However, after about 5-10 mins the clock app changes slightly so that the time is displayed in a nice blue font and everything else disappears. This looks great, but the problem is that the status bar also disappears, so I can't see when I get a new message/email/call/etc. I would have to take the phone from the dock and the clock app to automatically close for me to see if I've got anything.

I have two questions:

1) Is there anyway to stop the clock app from timing out into this blue font mode. Although looks great, I need the status bar to remain there.

2) I've used 'Dock No-Op', which stops the phone from automatically opening or doing anything. This is also good. But I would really prefer a clock app to appear automatically, that looks good and keeps the status bar there constantly! I've gone through about 10 clock apps now and they all hide the status bar (which I suppose makes sense if you're using it as a night clock/alarm clock, but I'm not!). Any suggestions for a clock app that does this?

With Dock No-Op on the phone just displays the lock screen when plugged in, which would be fine, but as soon as I check anything it just stays on the home screen (which looks awful in landscape) and to get it back to the lock screen I have to take the phone from the dock, use the power button to lock it, then plug it back in. Why the pogo pins and power button are on the same side is beyond me, such a stupid design.

My only other option is to write my own app. But I'm busy and can't really be bothered with that!

Cheers

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones